Short People

Hussar

Legend
As far as Tolkien style hobbits go, you haven't got a hope here. There is absolutely no way Hasbro's legal would let WOTC do that. When TSR ripped off the Tolkien estate in the 70's, you had a smallish estate suing a smallish company. Not a huge amount of money involved.

Now, imagine what would happen when you've got movie studios and whatnot, suing a multi-billion dollar company like Hasbro. You're talking years of litigation (presuming they don't just settle) which is going to cost more than WOTC will make in years. It wouldn't take much for some judge to whack on a great honking punitive damage to stop the big company from doing it again.

There is no way that Hasbro legal would ever let WOTC even think about trying it. This is why you're seeing such a shift away from Tolkien. Or at least one of the reasons. If they create their own identity, no one's going to come along in a couple of years and sue the crap out of them.

KidSnide

Adventurer
They look like cartoon characters. No thanks.

Agreed. I like the idea of focusing on the home, and love how they took advantage of halflings interacting with real-life objects that appear large in proportion (like the frog). But the pictures themselves looks like cartoons -- they aren't even in the same genre as the previous editions of this column.

Now, if WotC wants to create a separate "D&D for little kids" line of products that focuses on halflings and other cute parts of the game world so gaming parents can share their love of D&D with their small children, then this kind of art would be perfect. But that's a whole different tone, and a whole different game.

-KS

Hussar

Legend
Agreed. I like the idea of focusing on the home, and love how they took advantage of halflings interacting with real-life objects that appear large in proportion (like the frog). But the pictures themselves looks like cartoons -- they aren't even in the same genre as the previous editions of this column.

Now, if WotC wants to create a separate "D&D for little kids" line of products that focuses on halflings and other cute parts of the game world so gaming parents can share their love of D&D with their small children, then this kind of art would be perfect. But that's a whole different tone, and a whole different game.

-KS

Really? I'm pretty sure you can find all sorts of pictures of halflings that are pretty "cute". Heck, going back to the Hildebrant Brothers, which is about as iconic as it gets for ho... I mean halflings:

farmermaggot.gif

pony.jpg

bh+bilbo+2.jpg

So, going with big heads, small bodies isn't exactly a huge jump here.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases