Playing with a new style [Update - switching to it on 12 Nov]

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I've been toying with a new forum header layout which has the goal of reducing the vertical size of the header. So far, I've managed to reduce it by about a third - which is a start, but not as much as I'd like. I did that mainly by conflating all three(!) navigation menus into one menu which uses dropdowns.

Anyway. Right now it's literally just me playing around. But feel free to look at it. Just switch your style over to "Dev Style".

I don't promise everything will work in that style.

Elodan

Adventurer
  • At first I thought the top header menu was supposed to meet the bottom of the logo area but then I realized that might be intentional and it actually makes sense.
  • The borders around the header menu options should match the rest of the site (orange on the black style).
  • When I look at the plain black on the left side of the logo area it seems like something should be there.
  • The reference menu could use a separator or two. I think things get lost if you don't have something to break up a list of more than 5 items.
  • Does the Reference menu need a links option, shouldn't that be under links? There are a couple of other places where an option is under multiple menus, seems redundant.
  • Notifications are no longer showing. Perhaps they can be their own menu.
  • I use the settings link to quickly get to my control panel to see my subscribed forums. I'd prefer that as a link on the main screen but it's not a deal breaker as getting to it under the Profile menu doesn't require the extra click I thought it would.

Dice4Hire

First Post
I think I would prefer to see the words a bit brighter, like the older styles are. Otherwise I support making the header as small as possible.

But looks good to me

Sammael

Adventurer
I've been a proponent of reducing the page header and integrating the various menus into one, and I love this change.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I might be able to do it my tagging myself. If that work; never tried it.
[MENTION=1]Morrus[/MENTION]

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Notifications seem to be working fine.
[MENTION=8006]Elodan[/MENTION], did you get a notification of this mention? What notification did you not receive that should have?

Elodan

Adventurer
Notifications seem to be working fine.
@Elodan , did you get a notification of this mention? What notification did you not receive that should have?

It wasn't that I wasn't getting any (I post too infrequently to have much activity) but that the drop down wasn't there at all. It is now and I got them for the XP, mention and quote.

Edit:
It looks like the notifications and private message menus share the same space which notifications showing when you one and private messages when you don't. Probably why I was confused.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases