Gamehackery:My Game Session Notes are Useless. So I use Livescribe Echo.

Radiating Gnome

Adventurer
Have you tried the integration with OneNote? I've been reading an it seems the text gets inserted as a PDF but I haven't been able to find very recent information.

Regards!

I haven't played with OneNote much, but I have it on my work machine -- I'll play with it and get back to you, see how it goes.

-rg

Radiating Gnome

Adventurer
Thanks a lot!

Well, this is going to be more complicated for me to test in person than I expected. I use a Mac at work, but have a Windows Virtual Machine on it for PC applications. And I have One Note there (even though I don't use it, myself).

So, I have OneNote, but I am having problems with my VM accessing the USB port that I connect my Livescribe pen to -- the Mac side doesn't seem to be giving up control. If anyone else reading this has the OneNote/Livescribe connection, or could test it, that would be great.

I did find this discussion: http://support.livescribe.com/entries/20733406-onenote-integration

One thing mentioned in that thread is an app called Myscript, which connects to Livescribe and does a pretty good job translating handwriting to text. Here's a video demo someone else created:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=gO5GwLFlN3s

My handwriting is nowhere near legible enough for Myscript, but yours might be better. There's a 30 day trial of that, you could give it a try.

This MyScript tool does turn handwriting into text. That demo video shows a good example with what looks like 100% correct conversion, even with the cursive (which was very legible).

For the sake of comparison, I sent the demo page I created for this post to the MyScript tool for translation, and here's what it read:

H@
A Pencast Supplement to my EWWORLD.org
Column, Gamehaukery.
A few tips as you create Younan pen casts.
󰀀1󰀁 you can write on your page BEfor@
You record any audio.
(see how slow!)
󰀀2󰀁 Your pen will record what you wrote
and what you say while you ai.)
BORN
are reading. (
󰀀3󰀁 You can also add text and notes Alyta to
After recording audio.} listen to,
right?..
󰀀4󰀁 Print You RATBTSTARDS! -
NO ONE CAN READ
Your HANDWRITING!
Your Pal,
Radiatrgbinmez

Now, that page included things like marginalia and lousy handwriting and all kinds of very challenging stuff for the software -- I'm actually impressed it did as well as it did.

Anyway... your satisfaction with how LiveScribe and OneNote work together will depend a lot upon what you expect. Livescribe creates a PDF, which is sent to OneNote. OneNote (and Evernote, and everything else) treats that as a PDF -- and may or may not be able to recognize text in the PDF as text (and not just an image). Evernote has a tool on their servers that identifies and indexes text in images -- it struggles with my handwriting like everyone else does -- but it doesn't turn it into actual text. I imagine OneNote does about the same thing.

If you expect OneNote to accept your handwriting as text input, you will probably need one more interface like MyScript to complete the task, and the amount of success you have will depend upon your penmanship.

-Radiatrgbinmez

Vicente

Explorer
Thanks a lot for the detailed information :) The PDF thing is a little let down, it would be nicer if writing was exported to OneNote the same way as when you write directly using a tablet and a pen. But well, the basic version is $100 so I may give it a try :)

Thanks a lot!

Remove ads