Playtesting in Detail

GX.Sigma

Adventurer
i agree with paladin, and i half-agree with half orc (see what i did there?) but whats a cavalier?
My only guess is that it's generic for Paladin, so they can feel free to make the actual Paladin class as narrow as it traditionally has been. But if that were the case, why would he not then put Paladin under "world-specific stuff"? Curious.

Steely_Dan

First Post
Yes, not sure why he would mention both in the same sentence, and the cavalier is not nearly as core as the paladin and half-orc (or bard, druid and monk).

I am pleased that he mentions the old Rules Cyclopedia being a big influence.

Dragoslav

First Post
Sweet, I can't wait to play all of my favorite D&D classes, such as the paladin, the cavalier, the chevalier, the cavalryman, the chivalric knight, the knight errant, the crusader, and even the horse-riding-man-in-plate-armor. Now I just have to decide whether I want my character to be a half-orc or a half-human (with an orc parent).

Last edited:

Class in 1e and 3e (the knight in PHB2). Kit (or two) in 2e. Build in 4e. And it's a class in 4e. You can make an argument for the cavalier.
Or it could be merging with the warlord for all we know...

Or Mearls is just trying to get some easy conversation going. Poking the ant hill as it were.

Treebore

First Post
The cavalier has been around since 1E AD&D, so is far closer to being core than "...draconians, warforged, and bladesingers." That is all Mearls means.

So "core" is what is closest to original, and the further down the time line something appears, the further away from core it is. So it is basically a alternate way of talking about the progression over time of the game as new classes and races appeared.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases