WotC Here Comes . . . the Monk!

+ Log in or register to post
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Hybrid View

Here Comes . . . the Monk!

Training. Discipline. Ki. Moving your unarmed fists faster than the average eye can see. All these and more await you in the monk class, which we??re making available to you right now. RIGHT NOW. Come take a look at how you can access the monk, plus read a little about the class before you let the monk loose in your game.

Read Here Comes . . . the Monk! on D&D Insider here!

Gallant (Lvl 3)

Ignore Magil
    Didn't see that coming. At least the article hints that they're starting to have misgivings about giving expertise dice to everyone... of course, they also say the monk currently has them.

I love Deflect Missiles. Spend one die: deflect a missile. Spend another die: catch the missile. Spend another die: throw it back at the attacker.

I'm actually starting to like the idea of Expertise as something lots of classes can use, as long as they all use it in different ways. I think the only problem with the Rogue using expertise was that the way he used it was too similar to the way the Fighter used it. As we can see, the Monk with expertise dice still feels like a Monk.

The Great Druid (Lvl 17)

Kickstarter ZEITGEIST D&D I Defended The Walls!

Ignore Obryn
    I just ... I dunno. I get a real "blah" feeling about it. Expertise dice. Whee.

-O

Weapons and Armor: The monk's most obvious defining traits are the class's reliance on unarmed and unarmored fighting. I always liked 3E's use of Wisdom to improve a monk's AC, so we simply used that mechanic.
    Because if there is one thing game designers love doing, it is making monks MAD as hell!

Grandfather of Assassins (Lvl 19)

Blog Entries

Ignore Stormonu
    Quote Originally Posted by frankthedm View Post
    Because if there is one thing game designers love doing, it is making monks MAD as hell!
    I think ALL characters should be MAD, so people won't concentrate on one ability score and instead HAVE to balance their abilities.
    "If it has stats, we can kill it." - T.G. Jackson, intro to 3rd ed Hackmaster

Homebrew 4E material | My campaign world - Amberos

I am the only one who found the monk un-interesting? It isn't bad, it has all the things that you expect, but in the end there isn't anything in it to inspire you. All the other classes in the course of the playtests had something (for me at least) that made you say "mmm...i like this aspect, i would love to see it in play". Monk seems to have nothing to inspire. It is a passable claass...

Magsman (Lvl 14)

Blog Entries

Ignore howandwhy99
    Y'know I always saw Monk as a kind of cleric

Amateur Enigmatographer

Well now we know that the Warlord will work on Expertise dice and Maneuvers.

I figured out how 4E could have won over 3E fans. Make a short class description with a few features then every few levels let people pick "maneuvers" from a "maneuvers list" or "spells" from a "spell list." Instead 4E chose to make everyone pick "powers" from a "powers list."

Quote Originally Posted by Stormonu View Post
    I think ALL characters should be MAD, so people won't concentrate on one ability score and instead HAVE to balance their abilities.
    That's the the rub, if all characters had equal pressure to spread thier stats, it would be acceptable. It is a problem when it is only a significant issue for a few classes.

TBH, I loved the balance that existed in 4E PHB1's feats, where stat dumping cost you huge swaths of feat options. Sadly that got chucked out the window once the $platbook Treadmill got going.

+ Log in or register to post
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast