Why does the idea of no Free Will bother some people?

sabrinathecat

Explorer
Ah, but I'm not an atheist.
And faith... I think Terry Nation summed it up in an episode of Blake's7
Faith: the capacity to believe that which you know cannot be true.

I am aware of a number of other religions, including Buddhism, and their views. Believe it or not, I did look into it. And yes, in addition to the modern monotheisms, there are a number of other models. But, off the top of your head, name the biggest 4. What do you get?

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
In total adherents? My guess would be Christianity, followed by Islam, Buddhism & Hinduism- all denominations of each combined.

As for the original question: because it does not jibe with people's internal self-perception. IOW, I don't feel like a Moist Robot, therefore I can't be one.

Note: need to create a popular snack food called "Moist Robots", with tag line "You can't help wanting a Moist Robot, its what you feel like!"

Last edited:

jonesy

A Wicked Kendragon
Buddhism teaches the middle way between an ordered universe and an absolute free will. For the Hindu opinions vary wildly from absolute free will all the way to no such thing at all. Islam also varies, where one extreme bases everything on accountability which needs free will to exist, while the other says that every act of man is an act of god. And Christians can't agree on anything, it seems to me.

Personally I'm not sure whether there is all that much difference on an individual level between absolute chaos and absolute order. Free will isn't just about the ability to choose, it is also about the ability to have your choice matter and the ability to have your choice effect change.

Ah, but I'm not an atheist.
And faith... I think Terry Nation summed it up in an episode of Blake's7
Faith: the capacity to believe that which you know cannot be true.

I am aware of a number of other religions, including Buddhism, and their views. Believe it or not, I did look into it. And yes, in addition to the modern monotheisms, there are a number of other models. But, off the top of your head, name the biggest 4. What do you get?
Ah, but neither am I. I just try to look at things from different viewpoints. You can learn something worthwhile from (almost?) anyone.

Libramarian

Adventurer
People aren't just "offended". Damaging others' belief in free will harms them in a variety of ways.

Encouraging a belief in determinism increases cheating.

Disbelief in free will increases aggression and reduces helpfulness.

Belief in free will predicts better job performance.

There are philosophies that claim to be capable of integrating the findings of modern neuroscience with the prosocial benefits of believing in free will (see compatibilism), but this is a very complex topic and it's not a trivial task to keep up with both the philosophical and scientific literature on the subject.

Free will is truly a topic where the virtue of knowing when you don't know is vitally important.

If you don't know what you're talking about, then it's not just useless and annoying to spread around your ignorance. It can be harmful. Please keep that in mind in the future.

Aaron L

Hero
(First off, finding this thread immediately after explaining on another thread what a P-Zombie is was just bizarrely coincidental!)

Janx, I think you're confusing "Free Will" with some other concept, perhaps "Personality." You bring up an interesting topic, though. I wouldn't personally be bothered by the idea of not having free will... after all, if I can't see the strings controlling me, and can't even perceive their effect on me, why give a damn? Would it even make a difference for me? And, as Umbran (who I have observed over the years to be a very bright guy) already pointed out, even if I DID object, wouldn't that objection have been predetermined anyway? If we do lack Free Will, but don't have any resultant sense of loss of control because of it, who cares?

But conscious understanding of the motivations behind all of our decisions is not a matter of free will (or lack thereof.) No, most people don't actually consciously understand the reasoning behind most of the decisions they make. That, however, does not mean that there ARE no motivations behind those decisions, nor that we lack the free will to make them. It just highlights the fact that we don't always understand our own motivations... or even usually understand them. We actually usually don't understand a lot of, maybe even most of, our own motivations, unless we take the time to analyze them. And if we were always aware of all of our own motivations, and if we did take the time to sift through, sort out, and logically think through all of our opinions and decisions, a lot of us would probably have very different thoughts on a lot of subjects.

And we would all live in a world full of much nicer and more reasonable people.

Actually, almost everyone DOES, at one time or another, do exactly that very thing; stop, think about a past decision, try to understand our own motivations for making that decision, and then wish we had made a different choice... it is called regret. And everyone has experienced it.

That is actually pretty much the core of what psychological counseling is; siting down with someone trained in how people think, and, with their help, going back through our own thoughts and feelings in order to try to better understand why we think and feel that way. It can also help us to better understand ourselves so we will take the time to think about and decisions make better ones in the future.

But about that study you mentioned; I'm fairly certain that I'm familiar with it, and the point of the study wasn't actually all that startling or important. The study was only about emotional reactions to people, first impressions sort of thing, and how they are formed quickly and tend to take a lot to change. It wasn't about total thought processes or cognition in general. The results of that study don't apply to how we think about everything in general (in other words, the study was not saying that every decision we make is a snap decision that isn't subject to change after introspection and consideration.) We are emotional creatures, that's a fact. But that fact doesn't imply that we don't have the free will to make decisions, or to change them later. Our emotions influence our decisions, yes, but, for most people, unless we are put into a highly emotional state, they aren't the sole (or even most important) factor in our decisions.

I've read Mr' Adams' opinions (on several matters) and his views on this subject are... a little simplistic, shall we say? (as are his views on a lot of other things, as well... ) I would advise you not to put too much stock in what he has written. His little piece on Free Will was trite, but didn't really have a lot of weight to it.

Yes, we are affected by the environment and yes, that can have an effect on how and what we think. Does that mean that we have no free will? No, not really. Does the fact that we can't talk when the language center of our brain is being disrupted mean that we have no free will? No, not really. Does the fact that our desires are limited by the physical nature of the universe mean that we don't have free will? No, not really. Does the fact that we can't flap our arms and fly, even though we might REALLY REALLY want to, mean that we don't have free will? No.

And all that that really means is just this: we are physical beings composed of matter; our thoughts are affected by the matter of which we are composed; the matter of which we are composed can be affected by the environment in which we exist; our free will does not have boundless effect on our environment; and we are not capable freely of altering the physical nature of the universe by act of free will alone. And really, hopefully none of that should be much of a shock to most people.

(Now, if someone happens to be a Psionicist and actually is capable of altering the physical nature of the universe solely by act of free will, then these things, of course, do not apply to them. And I would like to meet them to begin lessons right away! :) )

I know I got a bit wordy and pedantic here, but this is what I focused on in college, psychology and philosophy, and especially the areas where they connect, like this, and I've spent a little bit of time thinking about this stuff. :) Plus, I've been awake for about 20 hours straight at this point due to insomnia, and my mind is getting kinda foggy... I hope this wasn't totally incoherent, and REALLY hope that I didn't offend anyone; if I did I profusely and sincerely apologize! :angel:

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Consider this:

If I don't have free will, whether or not I am bothered by the idea is... not my will!

You beat me to it - that's exactly what I was going to say.

If one believes that we have no free will, then the question "Why do some people object to that?" becomes meaningless.

Stumblewyk

Adventurer
I deny my natural tendencies and impulses all the time. I have Free Will.

Or I don't, and I'm "programmed" to deny those impulses! I have no Free Will!

Either way, I don't care. I function just fine, whether I'm allowed to choose my own behaviors or not. Doesn't change the fact that I'm going to either do them, or choose not to.

Janx

Hero
First order of business, please back off on the religion fork of this thread. It ain't kosher, and some people are getting testy. I had some thoughts on the religion gene's relation to this thread, but once folks start naming religions and applying some subjective adjectives the conversation gets Mod-risky. thanks for complying.

I like AaronL's considered response, though I think "deterministic" might be a better term than predetermined, regarding peopls's behavior and destiny. Without a Hisenberg Compensator and Fluxx Capacitor, we probably can't manage all the variables that drive a human.

Aside from that, each human acts in certain ways that they are driven to do by nature of the complex arrangement of their brain's neural networks. Addicts have reinforced their reward circuitry when they engage in their addiction behavior. They can't really stop that. As we learned from that one article, apparently a guy became a creepy pedophile because of a brain tumor, and got fixed when he got it removed. That's probably the strongest point in the no-free-will case, in that certain misbehaviors are in fact beyond a person's control (free will to stop doing) by nature of their brain's wiring.

I've got to read [MENTION=6688858]Libramarian[/MENTION]'s links to catch up to where he is. I'll let you guys in on a secret, I like well stated counter arguments and new information I hadn't considered. Many times in these kind of threads, I change my position based on what I learn here. In this case, the concept that "even if you really don't have free will, it can be bad for society if people believe that" is one I hadn't considered. Note, I paraphrased, and that's not exactly what L meant or said.

Last edited:

Remove ads