Kobold Quarterly no more...

+ Log in or register to post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Enchanter (Lvl 12)

Ignore Agamon

Kobold Quarterly no more...

http://www.koboldquarterly.com/k/ann...p#.UKbO7eTAdxs

That's too bad, it was a pretty good magazine.

Magsman (Lvl 14)

Ignore Shemeska

Aww man, that's too bad. It was a good magazine, and I was really happy to have it fill the niche that Dragon used to fill before it went away. I was happy to have done a little bit in some early issues, but it's still a shame to see it go away.

The EN World kitten COPPER SUBSCRIBER
    The Great Druid (Lvl 17)

Blog Entries
    ENniesGygax Memorial FundI Defended The Walls!

Ignore Alzrius
    Nuts, it's always a sad day when such a fine magazine closes its doors.
    Need an informed review of a product? No problem! Check out my RPGnow Staff Reviews!

Debuting on an internet near you, it's Intelligence Check, my new Pathfinder blog!

The Grand Druid (Lvl 20)

GM's DayCMG

Ignore Mark CMG
    That's too bad. Good zine.
    Fighting Fire - Ernie Gygax Relief Fund

Please, help boost the signal!

http://tinyurl.com/gygaxrelief

As always,
    Mark CMG
    CreativeMountainGames.com

Community Supporter COPPER SUBSCRIBER
    Lama (Lvl 13)

Blog Entries
    OSRICI Defended The Walls!Gygax Memorial Fund

Ignore Leif
    Quote Originally Posted by mach1.9pants View Post
    To sad that they cannot continue PDF only. But real life/kids are a (no THE) priority!
    Quote Originally Posted by Glyfair View Post
    Which is ironic because Kobold Quarterly started as a PDF magazine. Wolfgang decided to arrange to a some print copies produced for those who wanted only print. By the second issue, if I recall correctly, they produced enough to get into gaming stores at an excellent price.
    Truly, this is a sad, sad day for the FRPG hobby as a whole. Thanks, Mr. Bauer, for keeping it going as long as you did. Surely there's got to be a "Daddy Warbucks" out there somewhere on ENWorld who can step up and take over? Looking for a nice juicy tax write-off, @Morrus? And a way to both drive new traffic to ENWorld and simultaneously make both operations more attractive to advertisers? Can you say 'synergy'? Can you spell it?

I'm having visions of a new subscription structure that includes both ENWorld and Kobold Quarterly....

Speaking of subscriptions and stuff, didn't Paizo get their start as publisher of Dragon mag? How can they let KQ, the journal of PFRPG, fail?
    Last edited by Leif; Saturday, 17th November, 2012 at 07:59 PM.

The Guvnor
    Orcus on an Off-Day (Lvl 22)

Blog Entries
    13th AgeSupermanCircvs MaximvsENniesPathfinderZEITGEISTDoctor Who

Ignore Morrus
    Quote Originally Posted by Leif View Post
    Looking for a nice juicy tax write-off, @Morrus ? And a way to both drive new traffic to ENWorld and simultaneously make both operations more attractive to advertisers?
    If folks as clever as the Baurs can't make a print magazine work, I have no illusions as to my ability to do so. Besides, I've tried it a half dozen times, both print and PDF, and it's failed every time. And I ain't as clever as Wolfgang Baur!

Lama (Lvl 13)

Ignore gamerprinter
    Publishing a print magazine is very, very expensive. Delays in ad contracts, and payments from distributors are always late, yet magazine printers expect to be paid up front for printing an issue. Sometimes profits from a given magazine issue doesn't make it to your pocket book for months, even a year or more. So you have many thousands of dollars paid up front, and nothing to show for it for a long time, even if it's profitable.

Add to this magazine distributors are controlled by the Mafia (more or less) - Paizo has said as much, in their years of work producing Dungeon and Dragon magazines.

I looked at creating a short run visitors magazine serving my hometown about 10 years ago, and the reality is for a run of 4,000 issues, it was going to cost me $30,000 each print run to the printers for a 48 page full color mag that was mostly ads (about 20% actual content). Meaning I'd have to have a budget of $240,000 for two years worth of magazines (for a quarterly release schedule), and I might not see a profit for the first issue for 2 years. Who can really afford to do that - not most game publishers, that's for sure.

And to tell you how a magazine is paid for, it's by ads only. That cover price you see, doesn't even cover the cost of distribution. Consider that a $4 cover price magazine costs $12 per issue, not including distribution...

So the reality, that we've actually gotten a great magazine for a couple years is something to cherish, because somebody coughed up enough money to keep it going. The magazine business is a poor one for anybody these days, and only if you have access to huge cash reserves can you even make it work.
    Last edited by gamerprinter; Saturday, 17th November, 2012 at 12:35 AM.
    Michael K. TUmey
    http://www.gamer-printshop.com
    support@gamer-printshop.com
    Free monthly newsletter: Gamer Resource

As a charter subscriber, I'm sorry to see it go. Thanks for all the great issues, Kobolds!

Defender (Lvl 8)

Ignore falcarrion
    I wish them well.
    I will miss reading the magazine.
    something wicked this way comes

Cutpurse (Lvl 5)

Ignore Glyfair
    Quote Originally Posted by gamerprinter View Post
    Publishing a print magazine is very, very expensive.
    Which is ironic because Kobold Quarterly started as a PDF magazine. Wolfgang decided to arrange to a some print copies produced for those who wanted only print. By the second issue, if I recall correctly, they produced enough to get into gaming stores at an excellent price.
    David A. Blizzard

"The only constant I am sure of is this accelerating rate of change" - Downside Up by Peter Gabriel

+ Log in or register to post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast