Kobold Quarterly no more...

Glyfair

Explorer
Publishing a print magazine is very, very expensive.
Which is ironic because Kobold Quarterly started as a PDF magazine. Wolfgang decided to arrange to a some print copies produced for those who wanted only print. By the second issue, if I recall correctly, they produced enough to get into gaming stores at an excellent price.

darjr

I crit!
Which is ironic because Kobold Quarterly started as a PDF magazine. Wolfgang decided to arrange to a some print copies produced for those who wanted only print. By the second issue, if I recall correctly, they produced enough to get into gaming stores at an excellent price.

I didn't get it at an flgs but my issue #1 is printed.

That 'tiny little journal' will be missed.

Leif

Adventurer
To sad that they cannot continue PDF only. But real life/kids are a (no THE) priority!
Truly, this is a sad, sad day for the FRPG hobby as a whole. Thanks, Mr. Bauer, for keeping it going as long as you did. Surely there's got to be a "Daddy Warbucks" out there somewhere on ENWorld who can step up and take over? Looking for a nice juicy tax write-off, [MENTION=1]Morrus[/MENTION]? And a way to both drive new traffic to ENWorld and simultaneously make both operations more attractive to advertisers? Can you say 'synergy'? Can you spell it? :D

I'm having visions of a new subscription structure that includes both ENWorld and Kobold Quarterly....

Speaking of subscriptions and stuff, didn't Paizo get their start as publisher of Dragon mag? How can they let KQ, the journal of PFRPG, fail?

Last edited:

Roland55

First Post
"Small but Fierce." I like that.:)

I did not buy them all, but every one I did buy is a keeper.

Going to miss that little, green guy.

ShinHakkaider

Adventurer
I always wished they did more content for 4e. It was usually all PF, which lost them a customer.

The magazine was NEVER all Pathfinder. It was a mixture of 4E, Pathfinder and AGE (Dragon Age).

They have pretty much always said that they print what gets submitted and as it turns out there wasn't as much 4E submitted content.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Looking for a nice juicy tax write-off, <!-- BEGIN TEMPLATE: dbtech_usertag_mention -->@Morrus <!-- END TEMPLATE: dbtech_usertag_mention -->? And a way to both drive new traffic to ENWorld and simultaneously make both operations more attractive to advertisers?

If folks as clever as the Baurs can't make a print magazine work, I have no illusions as to my ability to do so. Besides, I've tried it a half dozen times, both print and PDF, and it's failed every time. And I ain't as clever as Wolfgang Baur!

marv

Explorer
I had the good fortune of sitting next to Wolfgang a few month's ago at the PaizoCon 2012 Banquet. He is a warm creative man. My heart goes out to him tonight. My KQs will keep their place next tony Dragon Magazines on my book shelf.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases