Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    PathfinderDragonlance

Ignore jonesy
    My communities:

Amazing New Technology

I bring you: The Internet!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XluovrUA6Bk[/ame]

Can you imagine? Electronic mail! Wow. But seriously, I was just looking at stuff on Youtube and came across videos from Computer Chronicles, a tv show that apparantly ran all the way to 2002. It's really interesting looking at this now. I do have to say that the show seems to have been surprisingly well informed about its topics.

My sarcasm detector is fusion powered. Yeah, that's powerful enough.

You are what you do.

Dragonlance.com Forums - The Dragonlance Lexicon - The Kencyclopedia

Defender (Lvl 8)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Ignore Joker
    I don't know if this is ever gonna catch on. I mean, it's a quaint little exercise in engineering but I don't see it moving out of the lab in a meaningful way. Writing letters is so ingrained in our way of going about business that I think the post-offices will remain strong for many many decades to come.
    Donate Blood. Play Rugby.

Spellbinder (Lvl 16)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Blog Entries

Ignore Janx
    My communities:

wow. that's a blast from the past.

people used applications like Eudora to read their e-mail, rather than off a website like Gmail or Hotmail.

ARCHY and FTP were how people found programs to download. Nowadays, you use a web site to search (google) and download files and content off a website from that search.

Normal folks had to use Compuserve or AOL to get online, rather than connect directly to an ISP and just a web browser. This meant AOL or Compuserve would wrap the web with their interfaces, often supplying (and charging for) redundant services that the web can do without (like email, or search).

Discussion groups were based on USENET. Nowadays, every other website has its own forum software instead.

Web pages were ugly as crap. They usually used the default font and background color. Layout was terrible. Part of this was due to bandwidth limitations. Really fancy layout tended to be graphics heavy, which would make the page slow to download.

Even the HTML editor of the day, HoTMetaL was clunky and unintuitive as it still clung to the literal definitions of the syntax, rather than what you get today to make some text bold or set some text as a hyperlink with a button off the button bar.

Gosh, those were the days....

Magsman (Lvl 14)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Blog Entries

Ignore Aeolius
    My communities:

1995: I became a TSRO on TSR's AOL Forum and started my first online game, a play-by-post. That was like yesterday, right?
    My Games

Into the Land of Black Ice (retired) - An arctic PbP adventure in the mysterious frozen lands of Oerth
    Penance of the Damned (retired) - A planar chat-based game, set in Hades, where the PCs began as larvae
    Beneath the Pinnacles of Azor'alq (retired) - A mid-level PbP campaign set within the Dramidj Ocean
    Heirs of Turucambi - An entry-level chat-based game set within the waters of Turucambi Reef in the Oljatt Sea
    Nature of the Beast (in design) - A sylvan adventure where the adventurers are forest animals.

Gallant (Lvl 3)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Ignore Aaron L
    My communities:

Wow, that brings back some memories. It's weird watching it now. I didn't get an Internet capable computer til '97, but there wasn't much difference. Most of my time was spent either using Eudora to participate in the Delta Green mailing List, or playing MechWarrior 2 on M-Player (whoah that really brings back old memories. Go Clan Greybear!)

And then, in 1998, my friends and I were introduced to a little game called EverQuest, and soon after that I discovered a little website by a man named Eric Noah about the upcoming 3rd Edition of D&D, and the world was never the same. The Internet seemed to just expand exponentially and was everywhere after that.

Ah, back in the day when it was still mostly just us geeks online, even if the norms were starting to catch on about that time.
    Farewell, Randolph Carter, and beware; for I am Nyarlathotep, the Crawling Chaos!

Lama (Lvl 13)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Ignore Man in the Funny Hat
    My communities:

Yeah, right. Next thing you'll tell me is that I don't even need a monitor or a box on my desktop and that I'll be able to carry around a little 8x10 thing like on Star Trek and do all of that without even plugging in a cable.

It's a pipe dream.
    No version of D&D has an Expiration Date.

The Dragon holds a vigil
    Spellbinder (Lvl 16)

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Blog Entries
    Admin

Ignore darjr
    I used to watch that show all the time. I really miss it.

Magsman (Lvl 14)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Blog Entries

Ignore Aeolius
    My communities:

wrong forum

deleted post.. wrong forum
    My Games

Into the Land of Black Ice (retired) - An arctic PbP adventure in the mysterious frozen lands of Oerth
    Penance of the Damned (retired) - A planar chat-based game, set in Hades, where the PCs began as larvae
    Beneath the Pinnacles of Azor'alq (retired) - A mid-level PbP campaign set within the Dramidj Ocean
    Heirs of Turucambi - An entry-level chat-based game set within the waters of Turucambi Reef in the Oljatt Sea
    Nature of the Beast (in design) - A sylvan adventure where the adventurers are forest animals.

Enchanter (Lvl 12)

Reviews
    Read 2 Reviews

Ignore GMforPowergamers
    Quote Originally Posted by Man in the Funny Hat View Post
    Yeah, right. Next thing you'll tell me is that I don't even need a monitor or a box on my desktop and that I'll be able to carry around a little 8x10 thing like on Star Trek and do all of that without even plugging in a cable.

It's a pipe dream.
    I remember the old tsr on AOL... And thinking how nothing could get better then that

Typed on my iPhone well at work
    I'm with D&D...Any Edition

• + Log in or register to post