What's on your mind?
+ Log in or register to post
Results 1 to 10 of 40
Thread: Alignmet help
Saturday, 17th November, 2012, 06:26 AM #1
Novice (Lvl 1)
Would a succubus who falls in love and marries her lover and has an alu-fiend daughter with her husband be in line with say Chaotic Good during this time?
Saturday, 17th November, 2012, 06:34 AM #2
Magsman (Lvl 14)
You know, evil people fall in love too.
Saturday, 17th November, 2012, 06:40 AM #3
Novice (Lvl 1)
I was discussingmy character history to some people and they though she should more like Chaotic Good instead of evil while she was in love and such. They said that since Love is one of the most selfless act you can have that she would be good in alignment. One person said the following to show that she was doing something good.
Rule of thumb.
1. If it makes people care about other people besides themselves in a way that is gentle, protective and forgiving = That's probably goodness.
2. If deliberately causes death, pain, selfishness, or greed = That's Evil.
Saturday, 17th November, 2012, 07:04 AM #4
Lama (Lvl 13)
It would depend on what kind of a wife/mother she is. Are we talking Sound of Music stuff, or manipulative wife / abusive mother kind of stuff?
'Love' is about the vaguest and most flexible word in the English language*, so saying that 'love is good' is kind of a leap.
*Rivaled in versatility only by a certain other four letter word.
Saturday, 17th November, 2012, 07:26 AM #5
Scout (Lvl 6)
Well, are you asking for philosophical curiosity or trying to figure something out for a game you're playing?
Is a being who is the essence of chaos and evil capable of love or is it lust or something else?
Giving birth to a child, was it done for her lover because they wanted it or just because? I could argue that it is evil because she's going to know that down the road she'll have a loyal, or at least indebted servant.
Have you read the Planescape comic from the Hellbound boxed set? That has a love story between 2 evil demons. Well, one demon who may have loved a greater demon and a greater demon who was possibly just enjoying a fling and just happens to see the lesser demon who "loved" her before she dies.
The alignment system is wonky so don't put too much faith into it. If by "Good" you mean the succubus is suddenly being compassionate to strangers and doing charity work and such, I'd say I wouldn't buy it. She may in fact be "Good" to those she already has a relationship with, but who gives a crap about the people outsider her circle.
If you haven't already read it, find a copy of Colin McComb's Faces of Evil: The Fiends.
Here is something from an old game of mine which is sort of similar.
Alu-fiend of chaotic neutral alignment meets up with mortal of neutral alignment. They hook up at first by contract. She'll be a body guard.
But through trials and tribulations she finds herself trusting him. We'll ignore the fact the guy hooks up with other chicks, but he had a supernaturally high Charisma, and that's a whole other story.
Trust leads to friendship, friendship to something more. Oh, we are talking about decades of time passing.
At some point, I vaguely recall asking a question to either Colin or some other 2E DnD bigwig. It was about an alu-fiend's choices, but I don't remember my exact question anymore. But I do remember the jist of the answer.
Eventually the alu-fiend has to make a choice. Since she's only half a fiend, she can choose, does she embrace the mortal side of her soul or the fiend side?
For a similar story, check out Viconia the drow NPC from the Baldur's Gate computer game.
Saturday, 17th November, 2012, 05:08 PM #6
Novice (Lvl 1)
Seducing the warror who is also a sculptor Ranylor was her first and last job as a succubus.
• She managed to seduce Ranylor and turn him Chaotic Evil
• After revealing her true from to Ranylor he thought she was a goddess. Ranylor was in love with her and thought her demon form was a goddess in terms of beauitful. Her being a succubus did not stop Ranylor being in love with her.
• She was captured and tried from being a demon. She was sentenced to be burned at the stake. Ranylor rescues her from nearly being burned alive at the stake.
• She and Ranylor run away from Ranylor's home town.
• Three months after Ranylor had left his hown town he proposed to her.
• A months after proposing to her Ranylor had found an evil preist who would marry him and her.
• Three months after getting married she was pregnant.
• She gave birth to a beautiful Alu-Fiend daughter.
• Five mother after giving birth her daughter and Ranylor where capture at their home by a Cleric. The cleric traped her daughter and Ranylor in their house and set the house on fire. Her daughter and Ranylor where burn alive in the fire that burned their house.
• She was on her way home whe she saw what was left of her burnt house. After searching the burn wreck of her house she found the body of her dead daughter and her husband Ranylor.
Saturday, 17th November, 2012, 05:20 PM #7
Scout (Lvl 6)
Saturday, 17th November, 2012, 05:46 PM #8
Gallant (Lvl 3)
Saturday, 17th November, 2012, 07:46 PM #9
I second Emoplato's motion. She most likely stayed Evil. Nothing have motivated her to change her moral outlook or philosophy. At best she's just pissed at the cleric. At worst she'll go and burn everything in sight to blow off some steam, because, well, demon. Though you could argue that the destruction of her home and family taught her to loath destruction, she turned Neutral or Lawful on the Ethical axis, and this decision could serve as a basis for her eventual redemption. She may also save other people from burning alive, which is as a Good start as any(pun absolutely intended).
Last edited by Dozen; Saturday, 17th November, 2012 at 08:07 PM.
Saturday, 17th November, 2012, 02:42 PM #10
Conversely, You may call somebody a hero who saved a child from being run over on the street. He's still Evil if he, say, forces himself on women whenever he feels like it.
And then there is the housewife who goes and steals from the needy to feed his family and accepts the punishment when she's caught without resistance. She 'Cares about other people besides themselves in a way that is gentle, protective and forgiving' like you said, but screams of not being a good person. She still put herself and her goals(here, to protect her family) above everything and everyone. She is Neutral, at best.
Now, having cleared misconceptions out of the way... if the Succubus in question wants to impress her lover and acts Good for his sake, she is on the path of becoming morally Neutral, and then may become Good, should she take a liking in it and start doing it for the sake of the deed. Maybe she just picks up Good qualities along the way and gradually becomes a better person. Both can happen, though neither is likely. It's entirely possible she stays Evil for the rest of her life, in love or not.
Last edited by Dozen; Saturday, 17th November, 2012 at 02:49 PM.