Gygax Magazine? [UPDATE 3 - Electric Boogaloo]

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Is this real? [UPDATE - it seems it's for real - we've dug around and uncovered more info since this item was posted and inserted it into this post]. At first there was very little information, other than a claim that "Gygax Magazine" is being produced by "TSR" in December - a company which hasn't existed since 1997 (there's a website for this new TSR here - it's called "TSR Games"). Plus there's no clear connection to Gail Gygax or anyone else in Gary Gygax's family. [Update below- the Gygax family is involved].

A "whois" search on the domain name reveals it's owned by a Jayson Elliot, who has a website, JaysonElliot.com and has links to something called "Permission Magazine" (a 'gothic lifestyle' magazine - website here). Anyone know who he is? It does seem like he's actually a magazine producer, so maybe there's something in this - but in that case why the references to "TSR", a long-extinct company? Additionally (thanks to @dreadgazebo , below) he's appeared in a celebrity D&D game, and has a D&D podcast.

I have contacted Jayson Elliot via Twitter - I'll let you know if I get a reply. Seems this thing is real, though.

Update - Jayson has posted below in this thread. It seems the Gygax family IS involved in this venture - which turns it into something awesome.

Hi guys, this is Jayson. I'm the editor for Gygax Magazine.

Gygax Magazine is myself, Ernie Gygax, Luke Gygax, Tim Kask, James Carpio, and Jim Wampler. Our first issue is out in December; since it's not finished yet, we've been pretty quiet about things until it's ready.

Just to address some of the questions, I thought it was best that I leave a reply. We do own the trademark for TSR, and have since December of 2011. We are a new company, not the old TSR, as they were purchased by Wizards in the '90s. The trademark was abandoned about nine years ago, and we registered it in 2011.

We decided the best thing to release first as TSR was a gaming magazine, because we wanted a way to bridge the traditions of the old guard with the awesome new games that are out today.

Another update! We've been contacted by Gail Gygax (Gary's widow) who has asked us to add this statement:

Please respect my wished to change the caption of this thread to:

Gygax Magazine? {UPDATE -, does not have the support of the "Gygax Family Estate" }

I wish to clear up any confusion I am the proper owner of the use of the name of my late husband, E. Gary Gygax. And furthermore would ask respect from his public and children from his first marriage, who are fully aware I own all rights to the use of his name and likeness, and all intellectual properties.

We have previously informed Jason Elliot of my ownership rights.

I can understand the enthusiasm for this project and will remain neutral in regard to its merits however, not at the expense of the Gary Gygax Estate, which represents his wishes.

Two more updates:

The Gygax Memorial Fund had this to say in response to an email from David Flor:

Thank you so much for bringing this project to our attention. We are aware of a group from NYC, which includes Jayson Elliot, that bought the TSR trademark. Not sure if they can legally use it in the way they want to.

In answer to your question, Gail Gygax, Gary's widow, represents Gary Gygax's estate, and is the sole owner of all trademark for the name and likeness of Gary Gygax.

With regard to this magazine, we were approached by Jayson Elliott's group about a year ago and were not interested in a business relationship with them, as they presented no specific business plan for this magazine, yet were requesting use of the trademark. Therefore, this magazine does not have any legitimate endorsement by the representative of the Gary Gygax estate or Gygax family.

Please feel free to share this information.

Of course, nobody has used "Gary Gygax" as a trademark here. Luke and Ernie have simply used their own surname, "Gygax". Luke Gygax has asked me to remove the reference to the Gygax Estate not supporting the project from the thread title (the one which Gail Gygax asked me to add), pointing out that he and Ernie are both involved and the use of the Gygax name - their name - is legit. So I've gone with "Electric Boogaloo" rather than keep switching it back and forth!

Luke has posted in this thread to clarify things a little with an elegant statement:

At this time Gail is not a part of Gygax Magazine. Personally, I hope that she decides to come onboard in the future. All the posts from Gygax Magazine staff I've seen were clear that this project is something Ernie and I are involved in as part of a larger team including Tim Kask, Jayson Elliott, James Carpio and Jim Wampler.

Gygax Magazine is supported by the Gygax family members who are actually gamers. Ernie (aka Ernest Gary Gygax Jr.) was the first person to playtest D&D, played numerous iconic characters in Greyhawk and worked for TSR through the 1980's. I cut my teeth on gaming and feel passionate about the positive aspects that gaming brings to people's lives. Gygax Magazine is a way for us to share our love of gaming both Old School and current systems with the gaming community. We are focused on producing a quality magazine and we hope that you will take the time to read the first issue in December.

Luke Gygax

Attachments

• tsr.png
    tsr.png
    12 KB · Views: 703
  • jaysonelltio.jpg
    jaysonelltio.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 724
Last edited:

Akodoken

Explorer
Gygax Magazine?

One of the guys from OP shared this on FB and we are not sure how legit it is. Does anyone know about this Gygax Magazine which is supposed to launch in December? It says it is being published by TSR but I didn't think that was possible.

http://gygaxmagazine.com/

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Well, TSR does not exist, and hasn't since 1997.

Gygax is not a trademark. It's also the real name of Gary Gygax's family.

Smells fishy to me. I'd think carefully before entering your email address.

Henry

Autoexreginated
If it's a fraud (which I'm inclined to think) it's definitely trying to evoke old-school Dragon Magazine and its trade dress. Whether Gail and her company are backing it, I have no clue, because I doubt WotC would be crass enough to try and cash in on Gary's name for something without her consent.

EDIT: Name registration reveals the following, so who is Jayson Elliott?
EDIT2: Jayson Elliott and Permission Magazine is a Goth/Lifestyle mag -- interesting. Never heard of them.
Permission Magazine

Code:
Registration Service Provided By: Namecheap.com
Visit: http://namecheap.com

Domain name: gygaxmagazine.com

Registrant Contact:
   Permission Magazine
   Jayson Elliot ()

Fax: 
   200 E. 10th Street #511
   New York, NY 10003
   US

Administrative Contact:
   Permission Magazine
   Jayson Elliot ()
   +1.3232845312
   Fax: +1.5555555555
   200 E. 10th Street #511
   New York, NY 10003
   US

Technical Contact:
   Permission Magazine
   Jayson Elliot ()
   +1.3232845312
   Fax: +1.5555555555
   200 E. 10th Street #511
   New York, NY 10003
   US

Name Servers:
   ns1.jaysonelliot.com
   ns2.jaysonelliot.com

Creation date: 04 Apr 2012 20:59:00
Expiration date: 04 Apr 2013 12:59:00

Last edited:

dreadgazebo

First Post
Actually,

This guy runs a D&D podcast according to his twitter bio, and he's played in "celeb" D&D games w/ Frank Metzer, Cam Banks, etc. (http://www.secretfiregames.com/2011/08/28/i-con-2011-celebrity-dnd-game/)

According to the NYS rolls TSR is still an active company (http://twitpic.com/bevxmx) and Lorraine is still running it.

This Jayson guy runs a magazine and seems to be legit, still a lot of questions but I don't think it is malicious, though I did at first.

Hope this helps!

Jerry LeNeave of Obsidian Portal / The Dread Gazebo

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Whatever the case, I find the use of "Gygax" and "TSR" to be kinda icky. If he thinks he's got a good magazine, it should stand on its own feet, not steal cache from the legacies of people and organizations which have passed away.

I've tweeted him; hopefully I'll get a reply:

Tweet said:
Hey. You're the guy behind "Gygax Magazine". What's up with that name, and "TSR Games"?

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases