Gygax Magazine? [UPDATE 3 - Electric Boogaloo]

Dragonhelm

Knight of Solamnia
It is entirely possible that this new TSR may have rights to gain TSR.com. TSR.com currently points to WotC's D&D site.

All of that being said, it would be an extremely grey area and I would not want to cross the WotC/Hasbro legal juggernaut.

Tinner

First Post
This is becoming a disturbing trend in gaming.
At GenCon this year, Red Brick announced that they were becoming FASA, reviving that old dead company name.
Now we see TSR getting the zombie treatment.
I have to say I'm not a fan of this trend. New FASA is not, and can not be old FASA. A FASA without Shadowrun and Battletech is ... well it feels like false advertising.
Same can be said about this new TSR imo. If TSR doesn't have D&D, then it's not really the TSR we knew and loved.
At which point it just feels like your'e preying on nostalgia.
In wrestling terms, it's a cheap pop.

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
This is becoming a disturbing trend in gaming.
At GenCon this year, Red Brick announced that they were becoming FASA, reviving that old dead company name.
Now we see TSR getting the zombie treatment.
I have to say I'm not a fan of this trend. New FASA is not, and can not be old FASA. A FASA without Shadowrun and Battletech is ... well it feels like false advertising.
Same can be said about this new TSR imo. If TSR doesn't have D&D, then it's not really the TSR we knew and loved.
At which point it just feels like your'e preying on nostalgia.
In wrestling terms, it's a cheap pop.

Setting aside FASA and Shadowrun as unimportant to the discussion I will pursue regarding your contention . . .

That's an interesting take and brings up the philosophical debate about replacing every plank and nail in a ship, yet still calling it by its christened name. Many of the games the magazine will seemingly support use most of those planks and nails in their design, and certainly if one looks toward the retroclones, one can see they are designed more closely to the D&D of TSR than the current D&D is. Your contention therefore raises the question, "If WotC doesn't really have TSR's D&D as their flagship product (they seem to be selling a few of the old stuff in reprint but that's hardly a large portion of their business model), then is it really the company of D&D?" (Let's leave aside opinions of which game or edition anyone might personally prefer.)

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
We've been contacted by Gail Gygax who has asked us to amend the initial post with a statement of her own. The OP has been edited with that update. Gail's statement is as follows:
Please respect my wished to change the caption of this thread to:

Gygax Magazine? {UPDATE -, does not have the support of the "Gygax Family Estate" }

I wish to clear up any confusion I am the proper owner of the use of the name of my late husband, E. Gary Gygax. And furthermore would ask respect from his public and children from his first marriage, who are fully aware I own all rights to the use of his name and likeness, and all intellectual properties.

We have previously informed Jason Elliot of my ownership rights.

I can understand the enthusiasm for this project and will remain neutral in regard to its merits however, not at the expense of the Gary Gygax Estate, which represents his wishes.

AlucardD20

First Post
Hi. I am the Host of the RFI Podcast (RFIPODCAST.COM), Jayson was a former host on this show, and he recently came back to the show for a guest hosting. I've been friends with him and spoke to him on a regular basis. This venture is 100% legit, he owns the TSR trademark and is going to be putting out a print magazine. I've seen the actual media kit for this that will go out for people who want to put ads in the magazine.

Far as who supports it, he has support from Ernie and Luke Gygax. I am not aware if Gail supports this magazine or not.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases