Gygax Magazine? [UPDATE 3 - Electric Boogaloo]

delericho

Legend
This is getting bizarre.

Sounds like it's a good old-fashioned family fued in the making - the magazine seems to have the support of Luke and Ernie Gygax (and can therefore use their surname), but not Gail Gygax who holds the legal rights to Gary's legacy (presumably meaning that the magazine can't claim any connection to his works, except indirectly through E&L).

As with all matters of this sort, my inclination is to stand well clear, because it's liable to get messy.

AlucardD20

First Post
See the post right before yours. :)

Yeah I guess that posted while I was typing mine. :)

I know Gail owns Gygax Games, and I've spoke to her a few times. I wasn't sure if she supported TSR and Gygax Magazine company, but I guess we know now.

Its sad there is a split in the family :(

avjax

First Post
I think she is just trying to protect the name she holds the rights too. I would expect no less as failing to do so makes it much harder for her to protect it at a later date. I wish the magazine well and the names on it suggest it will have good gaming content but I can understand the frustration of the Gygax Estate who are seeing their name diluted.

Matt James

Game Developer
I think she is just trying to protect the name she holds the rights too. I would expect no less as failing to do so makes it much harder for her to protect it at a later date. I wish the magazine well and the names on it suggest it will have good gaming content but I can understand the frustration of the Gygax Estate who are seeing their name diluted.

Luke's and Ernie's last name is Gygax as well. Do you think they should never be able to participate in the gaming industry, from now on, using their name?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Luke's and Ernie's last name is Gygax as well. Do you think they should never be able to participate in the gaming industry, from now on, using their name?

I didn't read that as her stopping them, but as her clarifying that the magazine had nothing to do with her or Gygax estate (which some might assume). That seems a reasonable thing to do. Up until that statement, I assumed it all had her support and the support of the estate, so it's not unreasonable to assume that others might also. This clears that up.

I think this is an example of where that "treat news about new RPG books like national security secrets" really shows its flaws. You just end up with loads of people (including me) guessing and leaping to conclusions.

Last edited:

Matt James

Game Developer
I didn't read that as her stopping them, but as her clarifying that the magazine had nothing to do with her or Gygax estate (which some might assume). That seems a reasonable thing to do. Up until that statement, I assumed it all had her support and the support of the estate, so it's not unreasonable to assume that others might also. This clears that up.

Very true and a good point.

avjax

First Post
Not at all I said I wish the magazine well and will pick it up if I can. However I totally understand her clarifying it is not related to the E. Gary Gygax estate.

(un)reason

Legend
This is getting bizarre.

"Children from his first marriage." To anyone from an extended family with lots of people who've had kids, remarried, had more kids, with a side helping of various affairs in the middle, and then everyone has to try get along with one another at the big get-togethers, that simple phrase should say it all. :heh:

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases