The Fair Folk

James whisks you away from your mundane monsters, abnormal aberrations, and conniving fiends so that he can show you the enticing and sometimes deadly fey folk. Do you have a strong enough will (and grip) to keep the Queen of the Faeries from claiming your Tam Lin? Neither are required . . . yet. But maybe soon.

Read The Fair Folk on D&D Insider here!

Ed_Laprade

Adventurer
One thing they keep forgetting is that Goblins are fey too. And Brownies were originally fairly tall for 'wee' folk. (3-4' IIRC.)

Stormonu

Legend
I think James needs to go back and at least check out the Narnia books/movies. Plenty of excellent adventuring ideas for the fey as allies and foes. Which seems to be a big thing D&D ignores these days - allies to the party's cause, not just enemies.

And the take of hags being fey boggles and entices me. I can kind of see it, kind of not. I tend to see hags more related to trolls and ogres than dryads and nymphs though...

ferratus

Adventurer
If Centaurs and Satyrs and Nymphs are fey, I don't see why hags wouldn't be fey. Medusa too for that matter.

Really, though, you can swap a lot of monsters between "monstrous humanoid" and "fey" depending on your tastes. Magic and a tie to nature seems to be a common themes (though I believe goblins are fey and they don't have a tie to either), as well as capriciousness (which goblins have in spades).

Hags seem to fit all three, so the case for Hags being fey is pretty strong.

Klaus

First Post
I think James needs to go back and at least check out the Narnia books/movies. Plenty of excellent adventuring ideas for the fey as allies and foes. Which seems to be a big thing D&D ignores these days - allies to the party's cause, not just enemies.

And the take of hags being fey boggles and entices me. I can kind of see it, kind of not. I tend to see hags more related to trolls and ogres than dryads and nymphs though...
I'd certainly accept goblins, bugbears, trolls and ogres as fey creatures. Moreso than cyclopses.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
Sort of opens up the vista, yeah?

I've got no problem with hags as fey, as long as they also remain buddies with giant-kin. I see them in play as part of the orc/troll/ogre complex, somewhat of the brains behind these operations. They do make sense as fey, but they've got a big history as giant-kin, too, and as long as they retain those links, I don't have a problem with making them "fey-origin giants" as it were. :)

Zaphling

First Post
I never saw gnolls, goblin-kinds, giants, orcs as fey creatures. They are always presented as natural world creatures, not Feywild denizens.

which i strongly support too

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
Are other peple reading this article now and posting? Every time I've gone to follow the link/check it out today I'm being told they're closed for maintenance...and sorry for the inconvenience.

How're people reading this article?

Remove ads