Looking for a specific martial arts-esque movie

Mercurius

Legend
So here is what I'm looking for: A movie that involves a sequence with some kind of mystical training in martial arts with a heavy "Zen vibe" - Buddhistic philosophy, perhaps mystical powers, that sort of thing. It can be any language (with English subtitles, of course) but the key is that I don't want it to be cheesy or too "video gamey." A bit is fine, but I'm really looking for something with depth and quality. Swords are a major plus but not required.

Any suggestions?

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Circle of Iron springs to mind. It's a David Carradine movie- he's a blind ascetic- and not centered on Asian actors, but some of the core philosophies are elucidated.

It can be cheesy at times, but its a fun movie.

Kung Fu Hustle is a martial arts comedy that does get into the more videogamey side of things without being flashy. By that, I mean it is clear that the martial artists in the film have paranormal powers, but they're not throwing around blasts of energy.

I can envision classic martial arts films that are probably closer to what you want, but for the most part, I've forgotten their titles. Assuming I ever knew them.

So many were late night or Saturday afternoon fare for me- a decade+ ago- and I rarely see them anymore... And most weren't all that good. master of the Flying Guillotine. Golden Arm vs Iron Feet (a.k.a. Kid with the Golden Arm).

If you're lucky, you might find something on Blackbelt TV if you have it:

http://www.blackbelt.com/

Last edited:

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
you could try 'crouching tiger hidden dragon' - heavy zen vibe and swords, very much about mystical training in martial arts.

Or perhaps kung fu panda?

Dioltach

Legend
Didn't "Blind Fury" have some Zen-like sword training? But it's with Rutger Hauer, so the cheese is pretty much a given, I'm afraid.

Ed_Laprade

Adventurer
The original Kung Fu movie with Carradine. No swords though. And you can watch it on YouTube. Wing Chun is good, if rather cheesy.

Remove ads