The Northwest (region of Kanpur)

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
There are several subregions for The Northwest.

Almadon (Basque)
"The Basque country (also named Euskadi) is a region between France and Spain. It consists of three provinces: Álava, Gipuzkoa, and Bizkaia. The capital is Gasteiz." — Encyclopedia Mythica

Almadon is the southern half of a chain of islands, which lies on the western edge of the Sea of Ishamark. I got the idea to use a Basque-theme from the Encyclopedia Mythica website. The site goes into great detail about the Basque Mythology, and before I can delve too much into developing this sub-region, I'm going to have to do a lot of research.

Barcino (Ancient Barcelona)
Barcino came about while I was looking through Wikipedia and other web sites for names appropriate for the city-states of the Free Cities. There are two legends about of the founding of the city of Barcelona. The first states that the city was founded by Hercules roughly 400 years before Rome was built. The second states that the city was founded in the 3rd century BC by Hamilcar Barca, who was a historical figure from Carthage and the father of Hannibal. (In truth, the name Barcino was the Roman name given to the city after its conquest during the Cantabrian Wars.)

Both are good legends, but I think I prefer the Hercules version since Greek-culture is a major influence on Kanpur. While the city itself won't be dominated by Greek culture, Hercules will be the city's patron deity. Barcino is still a young city, and it will definitely have some Roman influence. Therefore, I foresee a connection to Novarum. Perhaps Barcino is a former colony but rebelled. Perhaps it is still influenced by the powers-that-be in Parma, but refuses to abandon Hercules as its patron god. Perhaps the corruption that has infected my Mythic Greece has spread to Barcino.

Bluffside (Bluffside: City on the Edge [d20 Sourcebook])
One of the easiest sub-regions to explain is based on Mystic Eye Games' Bluffside: City of the Edge sourcebook. The book has a wealth of great information and is generic enough that it fits easily into World of Kulan. Bluffside, on Kulan, is one of the major ports of the Sea of Ishamark. (The sea's name comes from the same book.) It is the rival of the city of Parma in the North. It is a friendly rivalry for the most part, as neither wishes to give the reaching governors of Talangrán an opening to attempt to conquer them.

Coeurdî (French [Carolingian Empire])
While Harqual does have an area that is somewhat French inspired (mostly flavor), I figure it is a good idea to have something French inspired for Kanpur as well. I didn't have enough room to place a 'Fantasy France' in between Waldheim and Talangrán so I, on a lark, decided to make my France part of a chain of islands (the northern half) that make up the western edge of the Sea of Ishamark. Thus, Coeurdî came into existence. It will be interesting how my French islands will develop.

Dragon Sands (Dry Lands: Empires of the Dragon Sands [d20 Sourcebook])
The second easiest sub-region to explain is the Dragon Sands region. It is based on Mystic Eye Games' Dry Lands: Empires of the Dragon Sands. While I have only read a few sections of the book, I know enough from skimming the rest of it and reading Bluffside to understand that the big boys of this region are the dragori, a race of reptilian humanoids. Both Dry Lands and Bluffside introduce several other new races as well: hukhamet, nevae, sel'varahn, sixam ieuna, and steam gnomes. The Dragon Sands is just north of the Egyptian-like lands of Khemit. The two regions will definitely be at odds, as the dragori wish to expand their empire further south. (Khemit is from Gary Gygax’s Necropolis from Necromancer Games.)

Granite Kingdom (Dry Lands: Empires of the Dragon Sands [d20 Sourcebook])
The Granite Kingdom is a dwarven kingdom described in the pages of the Dry Lands: Empires of the Dragon Sands sourcebook. It is described as the "center of dwarven activity" for that setting and crafts unique ceramic magical items. "Granite Kingdom" is the name of the lands largest city as well (pop. ― 20,000 [isolated]). The dwarves of this kingdom aren't native to the mountain range it is located in. They came from elsewhere; I haven't decided from where on my world.

The Granite Kingdom has a whole chapter devoted to it in Dry Lands (pp. 14-20) and it has been a while since I read it. What I do know is that granite dwarves will be an important race along the coastline in this region. Their clay magic is the envy of many and is prized as far away as Aegis and Khemit. The dwarves rarely gift such items to outsiders, which means they often have to deal with thieves trying to steal the legacy of the dwarven kingdom.

SIDEBAR: Gwyrdhyn (Arthurian Legend | Celtic [Relics & Rituals: Excalibur (d20 sourcebook)])
I'm a big fan of Celtic Mythology. I have been ever since I first got my hands on the AD&D 2nd Edition Legends & Lore book. Harqual didn't turn out strongly Celtic, thus, I have been looking to add a region influence by Celtic mythology as well as Arthurian Legend. I originally thought I was going to make Janardûn, a small continent west of Harqual, my Celtic campaign, but that continent became something completely different. Now that I'm fleshing out Kanpur, a region based on the Celtic way of life was a natural fit.

Gwyrdhyn is the result. Also known as the Green Isle, this land will have strong ties to fey creatures and the Plane of Faerie as per the alternate plane described in “D&D Manual of the Planes”. Brownies, pixies, nymphs, sprites, and some of the more darker fey, as well, live throughout the lands of Gwyrdhyn, making the lives of its people either better or worse, each day, based on a particular fey creature’s mood when met.

Gwyrdhyn is part of the Northwest but it is also its own island group. I consider it to be one of the Island Realms of Kulan. It already has it's own map.

Novarum (Mythic Italy [TWIN CROWNS Streets of Silver (d20 sourcebook)])
Since I've only read about half of Streets of Silver (in detail) by Living Imagination Inc., I can't really explain too much about the city (or the Twin Crowns campaign). (Not that the setting will be included on World of Kulan except for Novarum, of course.) Parma is one of the major trade ports on the Sea of Ishamark. The land known as Novarum is constantly at odds with Talangrán, as the governors of that land wish to add Parma to its corrupt empire. The Twin Crowns campaign has many fascinating gods, which I've incorporated into Kulan.

The Twin Crowns campaign also has a number of new races, like Bluffside does. However, since I don't have the main Twin Crowns sourcebook I will be substituting different, yet similar, races for them. The kithraas, an aquatic race, will be replaced by Bluffside's sel'varahn; the khesta seem similar to halflings but I'll likely substitute another race; and a modified version of the catfolk from in the D&D Miniatures Handbook will replace the shallorians. I’ll be adding the Gigantic Template from Silverthorne Games’ Book of Templates: Deluxe Edition to the catfolk to make my shallorians.

Perten (Bluffside: City on the Edge [d20 sourcebook])
Perten is a city detailed in Bluffside: City on the Edge. It is described as being a rough & tumble loggers town. The town's citizens are hard working people who don't like laziness. Despite its longstanding forest industry, Perten is an ally of the various demihuman communities of the Coldwind Forest. Local elf clans help monitor Perten's loggers to ensure that the forest isn't stripped bare. And the gnomes and dwarves living in the surrounding hills and mountains conduct trade in Perten.

Perten is listed in the book as a small city with just over 6,000 people. I'm going to make my version a bit bigger (likely around 10,000 permanent residents) and more independent from Bluffside. Plus, I'm going to strain the relations between the loggers and the elves just to make the community a bit more interesting. My version of the city also has major vassal communities — Kytlen and Kalnel. Kytlen is on the western shoreline of Coldwind Lake at the headwaters of the Red River and is mainly a community of dwarves, gnomes, and humans. Kytlen sits on the Delue River near the southern edge of forest and is mainly a community of elves, halflings, and humans.

Scopula (Ethos Magazine)
Scopula is a generic city created by Clayton Bunce and was published in a now defunct (I believe) RPG e-zine known as Ethos Magazine. The article in that e-zine was barely more than a page long with very little detail beyond a explorer's view of the city. While there aren't any stats, Bunce does include a nice map of the city and notes the city's population (6,000). Scopula is described as a city on the edge, which is funny considering I've also included Bluffside in this region.

Scopula and Bluffside are not on good terms. Bluffside is famous for being known as the City on the Edge, which pisses off Scopulans who insist they came up with the honorific first. Regardless, most travelers avoid Scopula and its surly residents. Scopulans don't like casual visitors in their city, so if a traveler doesn't have something the citizens want then they are told to seek berthing elsewhere. The citizens of Bluffside consider Scopulans to be beneath their notice.

It should be noted that no one has ever conquered Scopula but, then again, few have cared to try to seriously dominate the cliff side city (especially with Bluffside so close). The city does stand on the ruins of what was once a great fortress, but the outer remnants of that construct have been stripped bare by the populace for building construction. Still, adventurers often try to seek into the city in order to explore the lower reaches of the ruin, which was called Margate.

Talangrán (D&D Book of Vile Darkness | Spanish [Castilian])
This empire is based on the adventure "The Lady Rose," by Steven Kurtz, in DUNGEON Magazine #34.

"The Talangrán Empire is an ancient power, with a language, culture, and legal system over 2,000 years old. The core of the society and economic system has always been based on slave labor. In Talangrán, slavery is considered neither good nor evil; it simply exists. It has always existed in the past; it will continue to exist in the future. The only good or evil (with respect to slavery) in Talangrán society is defined by how a master treats his slaves."

My Talangrán is more "vile" than depicted in the DUNGEON adventure. Slavery is a harsh way to be forced to live in the empire and most slaves are elves, halflings, or gnomes, although dwarven and goblinoid slaves are also common. Many of Talangrán's elite citizens are devil or demon worshipers, and the regional governors control their provinces with an iron fist wrapped in velvet. Talangrán has designs to conquer Novarum (it has so for hundreds of years). Right now the countries have an uneasy truce, which could unravel at any time.

Tânger (Ancient Tangier)
"The history of Tangier is very rich due to the historical presence of many civilizations and cultures starting from the 5th century BC." ― Wikipedia

Tânger was founded centuries ago by a great hero named Syphax. He was the semi-divine son of a goddess known as Tinga. He built the city in her memory. That is the city's legend. Sages aren't sure if the goddess still exists, but she is still worshiped in Tânger. The city has been conquered, freed, and reconquered so many times that no one is sure of the city's true origin. Its last conqueror was Novarum, but the city's leaders recently bought Tânger's freedom. It remains in the good graces of its former masters and keeps a wary eye out for machinations coming from the Talangrán Empire.

The city is a refuge. It is a mosaic of different cultures and, sometimes, the oppressed. It can be said to be a city of immigrants and many runaway slave from Talangrán have found solace behind Tânger's walls. There are few restrictions on divine worship in the city although the worshiping of vile gods and fiends is outlawed in Tânger. The gods of Novarum have large temples dedicated to them in this city. Since Syphax is often considered to be a Hellenistic hero, the gods of Aegis also have a strong influence in the city. There are also a lot of demihumans in Tânger, which means their deities have temples or shines as well; however, edifices are usually less grandiose.

Várad (Hungarian)
Várad is the name of a village in Baranya county, Hungary. (I think that's where I got the name for this city.) Therefore, my Várad will be inspired by the history of Hungary and may be connected to Szulolia.

attachment.php

Remove ads