Advice with a Lasher/Pyrokineticist build

AF Stripes

First Post
I'm making a character for a campaign and i need help combining the 3.0 Lasher and the pathfinder Pyrokineticist.

Firstly, the [notranslate]Pathfinder[/notranslate] pryo looks like it will work just fine being ported from pathfinder into a 3.5 game. Will i encounter a lot of difficulties here?

Second, The Lasher from S&F was never upgraded from 3.0 to 3.5. From what I've been told this isn't a bad thing and would only require a minor change or two in order to work. What changes do i need, if any, to use this class in a 3.5 game.

Finally, I'm having some trouble thinking of ways to optimize this combo. I planned on starting as a human with 2 levels of fighter, a level or rogue and take hidden talent to get into pyro. Ex. weapon proficiency will cover the entry to Lasher because fire lash works for feats that affect a regular whip. Is there any way i can make this more fluid because everything combined will make this a fun build to play with and i really want to make it work.

Care to offer any help, oh wiser beings than I?

Last edited by a moderator:

Herobizkit

Adventurer
There was a Pyrokineticist in the 3.5 Expanded Psionics' Handbook... it might even be on the SRD... and it is. And it's also been added to the [notranslate]Pathfinder[/notranslate] SRD.

RAW, the fire lash isn't technically a whip; a fire lash is mechanically treated as a whip for feats and special manoeuvres. RAI, though, I love it.

For Optimization, I'd consider going Psychic Warrior from 3.5's XPH. Get those Psionic feats you need for free while maintaining the juicy warrior-ness of being a warrior.

Or be a Bard. Because Bards are awesome. *g*

AF Stripes

First Post
I downloaded the E.N. book and I'm investigating it, but I''ve seen enough threads that said you could treat the Lasher the same even with the 3.5 whip changes. I guess I'm confused as to why those abilities don't work for a melee weapon as opposed to a ranged weapon. There are enough comments showing people saying 'meh, same effect', playing the prc and then having no problems.

Id have to take exotic weapon: flame lash to make it work...

And yeah psychic warrior does seem to make a better entry. Add a level or two in rogue. Perhaps another class would be better though? I haven't looked into soulknife seriously yet and I'd love tips and trIcks there please!@

The reason I ask about the the pathfinder pryo is because of the extra abilities packed into the character lvls. They add maybe t three or four but it balances the prc more in my opinion. Can I just slap the 3.5 prerequisites onto the pathfinder pyro since skill points are different in PF?

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
RAW, the fire lash isn't technically a whip; a fire lash is mechanically treated as a whip for feats and special manoeuvres. RAI, though, I love it.
And
Id have to take exotic weapon: flame lash to make it work...
FWIW, I've never seen anyone treat the Fire Lash as anything but a mystical whip that the PC is proficient with by virtue of the PrCl- IOW, if your PC is already proficient with the whip and has certain feats to support it- like WFoc or WSpec- they apply to the lash as well.

As for other classes...

The PsyWar gets you bonus feats, d10HD, and nifty psionic powers like Expansion.

Soulknife is a mechanically weak class- if you care (I don't)- that fits very well stylistically with the Pyro. It still gets the d10HD, and has the Wild Talent bonus feat. Like the Pyro*, it is a class that lets you produce weapons ex nihilo, so, like the Monk, you can't be disarmed. Coupled with the Soulkinfe feats in Dragon #341, there are all kinds of cool abilities the class can rack up.

* for other versions of this PrCl, look here: http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20040625e

emanresu

First Post
the pyro from psion book is mechanically weak/on par with soul knife. Although they do have a interesting offensive ability called Heat Death. HD makes them pretty good at assassinations as they can force a save or die from heat every round, albeit a low save DC14 +cha mod only. But they can do it every round to a target within 30' avoiding melee!

They dont need to have "flame on" so who is doing it can remain a secret as I dont think it requires hand gestures or somatic s, does it?

1 of our players had introduced one in a new 15th group and was promptly smashed, by far the weakest of the group, but it was his heat death that killed the big bad beasty protecting the bbeg.

Remove ads