Pathfinder 1E Firearms?

I'm considering allowing firearms in my next campaign - are the rules in Ultimate Combat any good?

The big issue with gun rules aren't the rules themselves, but how players take them. For some reason, the moment you put guns into the game, players expect far more realism. Some will even want rules for guns exploding, smoke coming from the gun making it hard to aim (or be aimed at), very long loading times, etc.

I would first ask the players if they know anything about guns. If the answer is yes... don't use them.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
The big issue with gun rules aren't the rules themselves, but how players take them. For some reason, the moment you put guns into the game, players expect far more realism. Some will even want rules for guns exploding, smoke coming from the gun making it hard to aim (or be aimed at), very long loading times, etc.

I would first ask the players if they know anything about guns. If the answer is yes... don't use them.

Yeah, I never understood why guns had to be more realistic than swords. D&D/PF combat ain't even slightly realistic, and isn't supposed to be. You can fall off a 200ft cliff and walk away, fer goodness' sake!

Anyhow, re. the OP -- have you checked out how we approached it in the free ZEITGEIST player's guide?

Votan

Explorer
I'm considering allowing firearms in my next campaign - are the rules in Ultimate Combat any good?

I GMed a gunslinger in a Paizo adventure path and it seemed relatively balanced. It was in the same party as a very optimized fighter and the two seemed to make relatively comparable contributions in combat.

N'raac

First Post
Anyhow, re. the OP -- have you checked out how we approached it in the free ZEITGEIST player's guide?

The Pathfinder version was updated when Ultimate Combat came out to use those rules in Zeitgeist, with "Guns are Commonplace" rules and no advanced firearms. Our group includes a gunslinger, and he's worked reasonably well so far, although as we only recently reached 3rd level, we have yet to see how powerful he will get, or how he will compare to the others in the party.

The AP encourages firearms users with a special theme feat, so players and GM's of this AP probably have some experience with the Pathfinder firearms rules, varying with the extent of their progress through the AP and the use of firearms by their PC's.

I have a cop friend. He played in a D20 Modern game. By the end of the game, the martial artist/pugilist PC was doing more damage with her fists than my cop friend's PC did with his bullets. It did strain credulity somewhat.

I don't need guns to one-shot people. But I do want them to feel like one of the most threatening weapons out there. I think PF does a good job with that, letting guns bypass armor at close range, but not dealing substantially more damage than a sword or crossbow.

Remove ads