January : What are you reading?

delericho

Legend
So, new year, new thread.

I'm currently reading through "A Blink of the Screen", a compilation of Terry Pratchett's short writings. Good stuff so far.

I'm also very slowly reading through the D&D "Rules Cyclopedia", which I finally sourced at a price I was willing to pay. It will most likely take a few months to read in full - I'm in no rush.

I'm hoping to get through five books this month: in addition to ABotS, I'm hoping to get through "Desolation Island" by Patrick O'Brian, "Master of Devils" by Dave Gross, the next Pathfinder volume, and (probably) "Tess of the D'Urbervilles" by Thomas Hardy.

Ebon Shar

Explorer
I just quit reading "The Passage" by Justin Cronin. The first three hundred pages were great...then, wow. I don't want to spoil it for anybody reading it, but, in my opinion, the rest of the book was a snorefest. I wish that Cronin had just continued what he was doing as the last two-thirds of the book was not very compelling.

Jhaelen

First Post
Having finished "Ready Player One" (which started out great and was okay altogether) I'm now reading "Firebird" by Jack McDevitt.

Bagpuss

Legend
Just ordered Whispers Under Ground by Ben Aaronovitch, it is the third in the Rivers of London series. Think a very British spin on the Dresden Files, although modern British, so like the modern BBC Sherlock crossed with magic and Pagan gods, and less Pulp American detective wizard.

Rivers of London is the first book in the series which I highly recommend, although I think the title was changed in the US.

Krug

Newshound
I just quit reading "The Passage" by Justin Cronin. The first three hundred pages were great...then, wow. I don't want to spoil it for anybody reading it, but, in my opinion, the rest of the book was a snorefest. I wish that Cronin had just continued what he was doing as the last two-thirds of the book was not very compelling.

Agreed. It's like someone else wrote the latter part of the book.

Started on Scourge of the Betrayer by Jeff Salyards, about a mercenary company. It's one of those brutal, gritty low-magic fantasy books and not bad so far.

John Q. Mayhem

Explorer
I'm burning through Louis L'amour stories. Just read A Meeting at Falmouth, which is amazing. The protagonist is
an old Benedict Arnold!

Richards

Legend
I finished "The Lake," by Richard Laymon. Then I finished "Among the Missing," by Richard Laymon. Now I'm reading "The Woods are Dark," by Richard Laymon.

Next up: "To Wake the Dead," by Richard Laymon.

Guess who got some Richard Laymon novels for Christmas?
Me.

Johnathan

Remove ads