Jack Vance

Uller

Adventurer
With all the "Vancian Magic" threads on the D&D Next boards and the fact that my Kindle recommended Vance's Cugel the Cleaver after I finished Fritz Leiber's Swords and Deviltry my curiosity was piqued. So I gave Vance a try.

Not knowing at all what to expect, I didn't realize at first it was supposed to be humorous. I can't say it's my cup of tea (I've never been a fan of fantasy worlds that border on the absurd). But I have to say, I was very amused by it. About half way through I decided that our boy Cugel was played by Rowan Atkinson in the movie in my head and that made it all the more funny.

I read it in 4 days...normally it takes me a week or two to read a book of similar length (reading 20 minutest at a time before bed). So I must have liked it...

I can see how D&D magic derives somewhat from Vance. Several times Cugel (who is a rogue) stores spells in his mind and when he practices he is able to store more spells (i.e, he gains a level). Although if this were part of a game game system, you'd be able to change or re-store spells between encounters....At one point Cugel studies a spell while locked in a store room in a dungeon full of "ratmen" (the seem like kobolds) and then he casts it and blows up the entire dungeon.

Not sure I'll read the next one...probably eventually when I'm feeling like a laugh.

Dioltach

Legend
I've never managed to getbinto Vance's fantasy works, but I've read and enjoyed quite a lot of his sci-fi: the Tschai novels, the Durdane series and the Demon Princes. Very well written, and very imaginative. The only drawback is Vance's tendency to outfit his characters in brown and orange velvet and corduroy.

Richards

Legend
I read everything by Jack Vance I can get my hands on - I think he's my all-time favorite author.

If you're looking for some Vance fantasy that's not quite so "absurd," try the Lyonesse trilogy; it's set on Earth, shortly before the days of King Arthur (I believe - it's been awhile since I read them), and includes wizards and magic items and most of the fantasy trappings, without taking place in an unrecognizable world. The series starts with "Suldrun's Garden" (sometimes referred to simply as "Lyonesse" on the cover), continues with "The Green Pearl," and concludes with "Madouc."

Johnathan

Wolf72

Explorer
[unlurk] I've made it almost all the way through the Dying Earth series ... Had to take a break from it though. Cugel gets odder and odder, IMO. Still not a bad read. [/unlurk]

Libramarian

Adventurer
I love the two Cugel books. They were a big breath of fresh air in fantasy for me at the time and I did find them very funny. I gather that the consensus is the first one is better but I actually enjoyed the second more. If you liked the humor I think you might agree; it's a little bit less grim and more screwball.

Felon

First Post
Cugel's stories are picaresque tales (essentially, the precursor to road-trip movies). They're the lightest of his works. Demon Princes is a little more plot-driven and features a contemplative protagonist.

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
I also recommend the Dying Earth series. Also, Vance has some great short stories that can be converted into DnD adventures, such as the Moon Moth. I just finished his Hugo Award winning short story called the Last Castle and really recommend it.

John Q. Mayhem

Explorer
The Miracle Workers[/c] is likewise incredible. I love the way he mingles SF and fantasy.

In fact, I love that about a lot of the SF from that era.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases