Clarification on Shared Spells for a Paladin's Mount...

FlimFlam

First Post
Per the SRD...

Shared Spells: At the paladin's option, the paladin may have any spell cast on him or herself also affect her mount.

Does this mean if the party Wizard were to cast Bull's Strength on me, it would also transfer to my mount?

What about spells (or spell-like abilities) that are from magic potions, scrolls, wands, wonderous items?

Artoomis

First Post
FlimFlam said:
Per the SRD...

Shared Spells: At the paladin's option, the paladin may have any spell cast on him or herself also affect her mount.

Does this mean if the party Wizard were to cast Bull's Strength on me, it would also transfer to my mount?

What about spells (or spell-like abilities) that are from magic potions, scrolls, wands, wonderous items?

1. No, you must cast the spells yourself.

2. No, you have to cast the spell or be using a spell-like ability yourself.

You quoted the SRD language - I think it's in error, check the PHB (I would, but I don't have it handy).

I wish it was they way you think, though!

kreynolds

First Post
Re: Re: Clarification on Shared Spells for a Paladin's Mount...

Artoomis said:
You quoted the SRD language - I think it's in error, check the PHB (I would, but I don't have it handy).

The PH says "any spell she casts on herself".

AuraSeer

Prismatic Programmer
You can only share spells or abilities you cast yourself. This is in the FAQ (page 7).

This clearly would not apply to abilities gained from magic items like potions or wondrous items. I would let it extend to spells cast from scrolls, as long as the paladin is the one doing the casting. Wands are not quite as clear-cut, and I would not allow their effects to be shared, because the user is not actually casting the spell.

kreynolds

First Post
AuraSeer said:
...because the user is not actually casting the spell.

But neither are they casting a spell from a scroll. They just activate the scroll and it releases the magic. The spell ends up coming from the scroll, not from the person that activated it. Personally, I wouldn't extend sharing bit to scrolls.

Artoomis

First Post
Hmmm... I hadn't thought of it quite this way before. If you use a "spell completion" item then you are completing the spell. Does that mean you cast it for this purpose?

For reference:
Spell Completion
This is the activation method for scrolls. To use a spell completion item safely, a character must be high enough level in the right class to cast the spell already. If the character can’t already cast the spell, there’s a chance the character will make a mistake (see Scroll Mishaps for possible consequences). Activating a spell completion item is a standard action and provokes attacks of opportunity exactly as casting a spell does.

And, from the section on scrolls:
Using a scroll is basically like casting a spell.
and
Determine Effect
A spell successfully activated from a scroll works exactly like a spell prepared and cast the normal way.

You know, I think it does apply to sharing spells with your mount because it is the paladin that decides the spell's target.

I don't think this would apply to anything other than a spell completion item, though.

A wand, for example, cannot be pointed at both you and your mount at the same time.

Last edited:

drnuncheon

Explorer
kreynolds said:

But neither are they casting a spell from a scroll. They just activate the scroll and it releases the magic. The spell ends up coming from the scroll, not from the person that activated it. Personally, I wouldn't extend sharing bit to scrolls.

DMG203 says "A spell successfully activated from a scroll works exactly like a spell prepared and cast the normal way."

In addition, when you cast a spell with "Target: You" from a scroll, it affects you, not the scroll.

Based on those things, I'd say scroll spells can be shared.

Potions, on the other hand, "act like spells cast upon the imbiber" and so could not be shared.

J

Artoomis

First Post
drnuncheon said:

DMG203 says "A spell successfully activated from a scroll works exactly like a spell prepared and cast the normal way."

In addition, when you cast a spell with "Target: You" from a scroll, it affects you, not the scroll.

Based on those things, I'd say scroll spells can be shared.

Potions, on the other hand, "act like spells cast upon the imbiber" and so could not be shared.

J

Also, in no way could you be considered to be casting the spell when you drink a potion, so I agree, no potions.

kreynolds

First Post
drnuncheon said:

Note that it does not say "You cast the spell."

drnuncheon said:

When you activate a spell from a wand with "Target: You", it also effects you, not the wand, so I fail to see your point in this regard. I'm trying though.

coyote6

Adventurer
I'd let 'em use scrolls. I'd probably let 'em use wands, even.

Though I might reconsider that when/if someone comes up with a paladin/cleric/sorcerer that needs to know how many wands will fit in his handy haversack. :D

Remove ads