Planescape: Torment Sequel - Set in Monte Cook's Numenera

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
Ah, who here doesn't remember Planescape: Torment fondly? "Updated my journal."

Word on the streets is that there will finally be a sequel, of sorts. It's going to be set in Monte Cook's new world, Numenera.

But what qualifies it as a sequel? I'm glad you asked.

Read more here.

Askaval30

Explorer
While I am firmly convinced PST was the best computer rpg of the golden age this so called sequel leaves me a little cold... it isn't planescape, uses none of the characters, settings nor references what happened in the original... so what is left? the 'PST feeling & themes'? While these design influences are fantastic additions to any crpg, it seems a bit of a stretch lo label it the sequel to PST... since there is little or nothing that hearkens to the original from what I read from those these initial comments. then again perhaps I am wrong, I hope I am wrong.

Dioltach

Legend
It seems to me the makers are trying to attract buyers who played and loved Torment back in the day. I don't have a problem with that, but I'd rather they'd said, "This is as close as possible to the game we would have made if we'd been allowed to produce a sequel." That said, I contributed enough to the Numenera kickstarter that I'll probably buy the game. And if it's anywhere near as good as Torment I'll be a happy camper.

Quickleaf

Legend
We know it hasn’t been done often in the game industry, but we’re envisioning Torment as a thematic franchise with certain themes that can expand over different settings and stories. We will focus on the same things that made people appreciate PST so much: overturning RPG tropes; a fantastic, unconventional setting; memorable companions; deep thematic exploration of the human condition; heavy reactivity (i.e., choice and consequences); an intensely personal (rather than epic) story.
So they can call it "Torment" but since Hasbro/WotC won't license Planescape to the (or it's cost prohibitive) they're not going to be calling it "Planescape". What does that leave? "Numenara: Torment"? ;)

Joking aside, the creative team looks frickin' awesome! Colin McComb on creative lead with the blessing/possible input of Chris Avellone, project director Kevin Saunders, scripted Adam Heine, concept artist Dana Knutson, editor Ray Vallese! Thats a lot of Planescape repeat offenders!

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
Joking aside, the creative team looks frickin' awesome! Colin McComb on creative lead with the blessing/possible input of Chris Avellone, project director Kevin Saunders, scripted Adam Heine, concept artist Dana Knutson, editor Ray Vallese! Thats a lot of Planescape repeat offenders!
Yeah, the creative team caught my attention, too.

The first question sort of addresses how they can call the game "Torment," when it has nothing to do with Planescape.

RPS – Given no Planescape and presumably none of the PST characters, what makes a Torment game a Torment game to your mind?

Fargo: We know it hasn’t been done often in the game industry, but we’re envisioning Torment as a thematic franchise with certain themes that can expand over different settings and stories. We will focus on the same things that made people appreciate PST so much: overturning RPG tropes; a fantastic, unconventional setting; memorable companions; deep thematic exploration of the human condition; heavy reactivity (i.e., choice and consequences); an intensely personal (rather than epic) story.

jonesy

A Wicked Kendragon
On the Kickstarter page they are only calling out Planescape as one of the many influences for the themes of the game. And in the interview he singles out "Torment" as the thematic franchise. I see no problem with this, as long as they keep it clear. And the Numenera setting seems interesting, especially the experience system which places emphasis on ideas and not combat.

Keldryn

Adventurer
While I am firmly convinced PST was the best computer rpg of the golden age this so called sequel leaves me a little cold... it isn't planescape, uses none of the characters, settings nor references what happened in the original... so what is left? the 'PST feeling & themes'? While these design influences are fantastic additions to any crpg, it seems a bit of a stretch lo label it the sequel to PST... since there is little or nothing that hearkens to the original from what I read from those these initial comments. then again perhaps I am wrong, I hope I am wrong.

The Final Fantasy series of games has been doing exactly that since the beginning. Each game in the series exists in its own self-contained universe, using none of the characters or locations from previous games. The technology level of the setting changes from game to game, as well as the magic and character advancement systems. Games in the series share similar themes and game design elements, but that's about it.

Now, Square-Enix did start making direct sequels and side-story games in 2003 with Final Fantasy X-2 (note that it wasn't called FF XI), but each of the primary games in the series (developed by their top-tier teams) make no references to characters, locations, or events in the previous games.

I don't think that the Final Fantasy series is anywhere near the same quality as Planescape: Torment, but it demonstrates how a series can work when each entry is related only in terms of game design and thematic elements. (The main games in the Dragon Quest and Tales of ... series are good examples as well)

Mallus

Legend
I was going to mention Final Fantasy... oh well, ninja'd.

I'm fine w/Planescape being a series of themes and even approaches/attitudes toward fantasy. From what I read about Numenera, it's a good fit w/Planescape -- which is pretty close to science fantasy in my book. Plus, I have faith in the creative team.

If this sees the light of release, I'm in.

JRRNeiklot

First Post
Ah, who here doesn't remember Planescape: Torment fondly?

Me. I have tried several times to get through PST and always failed. Never got very far after leaving the mausoleum before losing interest. It's odd, too, because I have played through the BG series at least once a year since release, and I even replay IWD once in a while, but I cannot for the life of me get through Planescape.

That said, we haven't had a decent RPG since BG2, so fingers crossed for this one.

Remove ads