Murder in Baldur's Gate: Sundering Adventure 1 (D&D Adventure) [Hardcover]

The Sundering.... a 5E Realm Shattering event?? Where the FR are forever sundered into two versions - a post spellplague version (no longer supported) and a 'the spellplague never happended' version (supported)?

Therise

First Post
They aren't creating two timelines. They're advancing a couple years, having another cataclysm (called "the Sundering"), then supposedly minimizing the current spellplague such that you probably won't see pockets of active spellplague energy all over the place and tons of spellscars, spellplagued monsters, and the like. They're just moving things forward a few years and calming things down, not erasing anything or retconning anything. No reset, according to designers. The spellplague and most of its weird magical effects will simply be a part of the past.

Frankly, though, I'd prefer a reset to the 1E Realms. Very unlikely that I'll buy into a post-Spellplague, post-Sundering Realms.

It looks like it's going to be the folio style of the other 4e adventures.
I don't know if they can actually call it an adventure; twice the space is going to describing Baldur's Gate. It's really a BG sourcebook that happens to contain an adventure.

The Sundering.... a 5E Realm Shattering event?? Where the FR are forever sundered into two versions - a post spellplague version (no longer supported) and a 'the spellplague never happended' version (supported)?
More than likely "the Sundering" will sunder the FR back into Abeir and Torril, separating the two and yanking out all the returned Abeir bits and restoring what had been removed, being used to justify vast chunks returning. But, they'll likely keep the new mirror world around, so those lands will still be present for fans of them.

Scrivener of Doom

Adventurer
(snip) Frankly, though, I'd prefer a reset to the 1E Realms. Very unlikely that I'll buy into a post-Spellplague, post-Sundering Realms.

I've been running the Realms since the OGB and yet I am really happy with the 4E Realms... but I would also reset FR to a pre-Spellplague period.

The haters aren't going to be mollified (and I can understand that). It would make more sense to simply erase the whole Spellplague and start again either at the time of the OGB or otherwise 1375 DR, the end of the 3.xE era.

I think that would restore more goodwill in the FR community than anything else.

Personally, I'll stick with the 4E Realms and the 4E ruleset for the foreseeable future. :)

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
I thought I heard that while they are doing the Sundering as the next event in the FR timeline... the actual FR Campaign setting book for 5E was going to go the way of the Star Wars setting book-- describe multiple eras in FR history: prior to Time of Troubles (1E Grey box), during ToT (2E Forgotten Realms Adventures), pre-Spellplague 100 year jump (3E Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting), apre 100 jump (4E Forgotten Realms Campaign Guide), and post-Sundering (5E).

Basically coalesce all the information from all those different books into a single tome (although obviously in not as much minute detail as the individual books themselves) and then let players choose where they want to adventure. The timeline is now long enough that if Star Wars can let you play in Old Republic, Prequel, New Hope, and New Jedi Order eras... so can the Forgotten Realms.

Kaodi

Hero
Is it just me or does this appear to be a foray into something akin to the Paizo model of adventure publishing, but where the focus is the setting instead of the adventure?

R

RevTurkey

If I were WoTC I might consider having 5e/Next's Forgotten Realms set in a prior time. That way you can have your reset back to a more 'original version' of the setting but not have to pretend that 4e and the spellplague never happened. You could then release 'event' books to set/tailor your game to different time periods that might interest you. Just a thought?

EDIT: just noticed somebody else already posted this kind of idea. Not just me then.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
WotC gave us an overview of what the Sundering was at Gen Con 2012.

Basically, Ao has declared that the "Era of Upheaval" - the period from the Time of Troubles up through the current day - is coming to an end. No more cataclysms, no more shake-ups in the pantheon, it's back to an era of stability. To mark this, he's recreating the Tablets of Fate (which were destroyed at the end of the Time of Troubles).

That said, the gods don't know what the new status quo is going to be. Some think it will be a reset to how things were before the Time of Troubles began, others think it will be however things are when the Tablets are recreated, etc. The Sundering is this event (and the lead-up to it).

I'll admit that doesn't quite fit with the name, however, since it's more of a unification than a sundering...but presumably there's more that we haven't heard yet.

Remove ads