Kickstarter The REBUILDING EN WORLD Kickstarter Project

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
We're building a new EN World after we were hacked in December. Please help us do that!

As you may know, EN World was hacked in December 2012. The entire site was destroyed, and I'm building it again from scratch. While the basic functionality is there (news and forums), much of the functionality built up over a decade was lost. I need to hire developers to recode all that cool stuff, but that takes time and - more importantly - money. While EN World ain't going anywhere, I'm turning to the community with whose help we can restore much of what was lost within a few months.

Our goal, put simply: EN World will be FAST, it will be RELIABLE, and it will have AWESOME FEATURES. It will also, most importantly, STILL BE AROUND FOR YEARS TO COME! And we all want that, right? Right?

You can find the Kickstarter project here: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/enworld/rebuilding-en-world

Please help me to get this site back on its feet again, and ready to face the next ten years. Thank you.

CAFRedblade

Explorer
And it's now up over 2k (hmm. don't know the pound sign on US keyboard, eh, oh well)
Glad to be supporting this, got in early. Me thinks the thermometer graphic on the kickstarter page will need to be updated soon to show it bursting through the glass. Congrats Morrus.

GX.Sigma

Adventurer
It's awesome that the Kickstarter is doing so well so soon.

Can I pledge American money then? How does that work?

Edit: Apparently it works just fine. :) Glad to help!

Last edited:

Thanee

First Post
Here's a stretch goal proposal.

Stretch Goal: Add a reserve (£500-2,000), that is only used for emergencies, i.e. when the site is running slow or is down.

It could also be split between multiple £500 goals each adding to the reserve.

I think this would be very useful and something most if not all supporters would be quite happy about.

Bye
Thanee

Echohawk

Shirokinukatsukami fan
Stretch Goal: Add a reserve (£500-2,000), that is only used for emergencies, i.e. when the site is running slow or is down.
While it is never a bad plan to have a pile of money in reserve for emergencies1, I'm not sure that it will necessarily be helpful if the site gets slow or goes down. For those problems, having a retainer agreement already in place with someone capable of fixing server problems in a hurry is substantially more useful than a heap of cash. And a proper retainer agreement is likely to have recurring monthly costs rather than only needing lump sum payments occasionally.

I'm just really glad that Morrus worries about details like that, and all the other business aspects of keeping this site running!

1 Unless, say, the emergency is that terrorists have coated the world's supply of currency with a deadly nano-toxin, which they can activate remotely at will, in which case it would be a very bad idea to have a pile of money around. So perhaps "almost never" then.

Thanee

First Post
Yeah, but as it stands now, without a recurring maintenance contract or a permanently employed tech admin/programmer, Morrus has to hire someone freelance to deal with any problems that arise.

Having a reserve for such a case seems extremely useful to me.

And apparantly, judging by the necessity to kickstart it, there is no such thing currently.

Bye
Thanee

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases