D&D 5E [Poll] Do You Like The Direction D&DN Is Heading In?

Now that the major, load bearing mechanics of the core system for D&D Next is pretty much set in

• Absolutely Fantastic

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Pretty Good So Far

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • I'm Ambivalent

Votes: 51 21.6%
  • Not Really A Fan

Votes: 49 20.8%
  • Bloody Awful

Votes: 22 9.3%

• Poll closed .

adembroski

First Post
Off topic... based on the responses in this thread alone, this site is SUCH a breath of fresh air compared to the Wizards forums. I swear virtually every response I get there is "That thing you said that is clearly a subjective opinion is patently wrong and that means you must be stupid."

Raith5

Adventurer
adembroski I have not seen the Wizard forums that bad, but it is certainly the case that I see more reflection and nuance here than there. The Wizards forums seem to have a lot more support for 4th ed and stated in a pretty strident form.

DMSamuel

New and Old School DM
I'm not sure I will play it. I will definitely buy the core when it comes out though, simply because I have every edition of D&D and I don't want to be incomplete. Plus, for a while at least, it will be the hot new thing and I will probably get roped into at least one game.

Nellisir

Hero
Heck, I'd make it available and no one would show the slightest interest. Even equipment or spells weren't really twigging the slightest twitch of interest.
My groups basically used it when I took away the core stuff and said "use this". That was late in the cycle, when i was houseruling pretty much everything, and eventually burned out.

To answer the OP, I like the direction Next is headed. I want a fast, light, customizable game. I don't want the numbers of 3e or PF, or the scripted uber-drama abilities of 4e. I want it to be OGL so I can tweak it and play with it, and if it's not, I probably won't get very far into it.

I really wonder if the OGL is subject to the Gnome Effect.
What's the Gnome Effect?

Iosue

Legend
What's the Gnome Effect?
Mearls used it in an early Legends & Lore as an example of design difficulties.

Mearls said:
The idea behind the gnome effect is simple. Let’s say you’re planning on releasing a hypothetical edition of D&D. You want to determine which races are important to the game, so you conduct a poll and find that only 10% of gamers play gnomes. That might make it seem obvious that you can safely cut the gnome without much trouble.

The problem with that line of reasoning is that we don’t play D&D by ourselves. We play with a group, and when looking at rules changes or any other alteration to the game you have to consider its effect on the group. Let’s look back at our gnome example. One out of ten gamers plays a gnome. However, let’s say your data shows that the average group consists of five players (not counting the DM). That means, roughly speaking, half the gaming groups have one player with a gnome character. That number is likely lower, since some groups might have more than one gnome, but it’s a rough approximation that serves to illustrate the larger principle. You cannot measure change and its effects on the individual level. You must look at it on the gaming group level. Delete the gnome from the game, or change it in a way that gnome fans dislike, and you’ve given about half the gaming groups out there a good reason to tune you out.

I really wonder if the OGL is subject to the Gnome Effect.

Possibly. I my group we used ogl material once in a while and as a GM I was always picking up ogl books for ideas, npcs, locations, etc. but there was always that one player who loved to find hidden treasures for his characters in the ogls.

i think it is partly the gnome effect but it is also a gm effect. Most gms i knew bought a considerable amount of ogl material. If they were running an asian campaign, they scooped up all the d20 asian books they could find. If they were running a greek or horror campaign, same thing. GMs are fewer then players, but their purhases are important.

Hussar

Legend
My groups basically used it when I took away the core stuff and said "use this". That was late in the cycle, when i was houseruling pretty much everything, and eventually burned out.

To answer the OP, I like the direction Next is headed. I want a fast, light, customizable game. I don't want the numbers of 3e or PF, or the scripted uber-drama abilities of 4e. I want it to be OGL so I can tweak it and play with it, and if it's not, I probably won't get very far into it.

What's the Gnome Effect?

Why does a game have to be OGL to tweak it? Or do you mean you want to be able to buy other people's tweaks and I'm being a bit dense? :D

BRG said:
i think it is partly the gnome effect but it is also a gm effect. Most gms i knew bought a considerable amount of ogl material. If they were running an asian campaign, they scooped up all the d20 asian books they could find. If they were running a greek or horror campaign, same thing. GMs are fewer then players, but their purhases are important.

Again, differing experiences. My group was almost all GM's. Has been for about ten years or so. The people I played with almost all were DMing other groups on different days.

Yet, still, I was virtually the only one with any interest in OGL material. And, yup, what you describe is what I did. Naval campaign? Got me three or four OGL naval books. On and on. But, it just never, ever went anywhere with any of the people I gamed with.

Again, differing experiences. My group was almost all GM's. Has been for about ten years or so. The people I played with almost all were DMing other groups on different days.

just out of curiosity, why do you always abbreviate my name when quoting me? I ask because you actually have to go through the trouble of retyping it that way but the result is I do not know when you are quoting me.

this describes most of my gaming groups as well. Usually had several gms at the table.

Yet, still, I was virtually the only one with any interest in OGL material. And, yup, what you describe is what I did. Naval campaign? Got me three or four OGL naval books. On and on. But, it just never, ever went anywhere with any of the people I gamed with.

It sounds like you and I had a very similar experience personally but the experience with our group was different.

Nellisir

Hero
Why does a game have to be OGL to tweak it? Or do you mean you want to be able to buy other people's tweaks and I'm being a bit dense?

It doesn't have to be OGL to be tweaked, but it has to be OGL for me to be comfortable sharing the tweaks on a message board or my blog. And I want to be able to buy other people's tweaks and incorporate them. (I'm all for creativity; I'm also all for not reinventing the wheel.)

I dunno, I mean if you talk about a vibrant game ecosystem/cloud/thing, I think about 3e & PF, not 4e. Maybe 4e would have held on longer if other companies could really get at it and modify it for different interests. PF itself only came about because WotC didn't open up 4e.

I think WotC will open up Next, although not under the OGL. It'll be midway between the OGL and the GSL; something to foster splatbooks and adventures, different rules modules and such, not wholesale game systems. That would work for me.

BRG said:
just out of curiosity, why do you always abbreviate my name when quoting me? I ask because you actually have to go through the trouble of retyping it that way but the result is I do not know when you are quoting me.

I think the real question here, BRG, is why do you insist on having such a long name? ;)

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases