D&D 5E [Poll] Do You Like The Direction D&DN Is Heading In?

Now that the major, load bearing mechanics of the core system for D&D Next is pretty much set in

• Absolutely Fantastic

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Pretty Good So Far

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • I'm Ambivalent

Votes: 51 21.6%
  • Not Really A Fan

Votes: 49 20.8%
  • Bloody Awful

Votes: 22 9.3%

• Poll closed .

Elf Witch

First Post
I am not enthusiastic at this point. There are a lot of little things that I am not crazy about. But we still have a ways to so I am keeping an open mind.

GX.Sigma

Adventurer
I think it echoes the problems of 4e in overly simplistic monster design.
What do you mean by this? 4e had (in my opinion) overly complex monster design, and the playtest monsters are less complex than that (but still way more complex than BD&D and even AD&D). If you mean they're less complex than 3e, well, every version of D&D is less complex than 3e.

Ahnehnois

First Post
What do you mean by this?
I mean that the monsters I read didn't have sufficient detail to create or advance new ones as easily as I'd like, and most of their abilities seem to be designed for combat encounters.

If you mean they're less complex than 3e, well, every version of D&D is less complex than 3e.
For a lot of things, this is true, but the way they've presented maneuvers to me adds to much complexity to the fighter class (as opposed to the combat rules themselves). A 3e fighter is not terribly complicated to make or play, which I think is important.

Gundark

Explorer
Interesting the Poll itself would suggest that people are liking what they see for the most part. And yet the written responses would suggest the opposite.

I myself like the direction they are taking and look forward for more.

Crazy Jerome

First Post
I think they might produce a pretty decent game out of this effort. But I don't think WotC has it in them to square the circle that is the irrational nature of the D&D fan base considered as a whole. Maybe no one can, but I'm not even sure that WotC can fake it--at least not while under the thumb of Hasbro.

Stormonu

Legend
Interesting the Poll itself would suggest that people are liking what they see for the most part. And yet the written responses would suggest the opposite.

Squeaky wheel and all that, I suppose. I imagine that there's a lot more people responding to the poll who don't have as strong an emotional response as the posters.

Mishihari Lord

First Post

I was noticing this myself.

cap1.PNG

I wonder if this is true in general, that written responses on a forum will be more negative than a poll.

Li Shenron

Legend
I like probably about 80%. There's some garbage here and there that comes from petty gamers complaints of the last half decade, but since it's not going away I might as well just sigh and let it be.

My biggest concern was that characters had grown in complexity to a level that is unacceptable for my gaming group, but the latest articles about Basic vs Standard vs Advanced D&D are now bringing in a lot of confidence that this complexity can be lowered if needed.

Pour

First Post
I'm pretty ambivalent. A game that promises the player side of 3e and the DMing of 4e is a combination I am interest in looking at, but I really can't stand so much of these legacy warts justified by nostalgia and tradition. I'm not saying toss out the entire history of the game, but a lot of the BS is back. There's also the big question of transparency and relative balance between components. No edition has gotten that perfect, but 4e was the closest- or, at least the easiest to adjust. I want to DM and play a fun game with many options without having to ever utter the words broken, grindy, or boring.

I also cannot stand the art direction. I can't believe so many people are jazzed about the concepts...

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases