Fun With Cantrips

aatwood

First Post
I love cantrips; those zero-level apprentice spells that almost no character ever has memorized simply because four of them take the space of a first level spell and, yet, if you memorize one you've still got three-quarters of a spell slot you're not using. Despite that, one of my favorites is Groom. Normally, it cleans you from head to toe, even washing and pressing the clothes you're wearing. It's awesome. It also DOES come in handy by itself when you get splashed or sprayed with something nasty (the books don't make the restriction, but I usually draw the line where it'll take skunk, weasel or troglodyte musk off once the battle's over, but it wouldn't have helped Harvey Dent). Anyway, I found a way to pare even that ability down and still come up with a useful magic item I could see wanting. It's in the range of a +0 Dagger (which is another handy item I like better than any number of flaming, soul-drinking plus-umpty-ump John Deere heavy machinery that always makes me question "Couldn't we just get the guy who MADE that to do the adventure and we'll just take a commission for giving him the lead? I mean, it's nice and all, but ... who needs US?"). I give you ...

Helm of Fabulous Hair

This minor magic item functions as a standard great helm except that each time it is removed it bestows the Groom cantrip upon the head that bore it. From the neck up, one never appears sweaty from the rigors of combat, flecked with spittle or stubble and most importantly, one's hair is clean, lustrous and not-at-all mussed after spending a day in functional headgear. While it may sound trifling to some, this simple enchantment can help those of noble blood and superior breeding shine in the midst of his or her henchmen when a good impression must be made.

(If I gave it to a player I'd have to have some of his henchmen bicker in the background every time the character took his helmet off. "Wow.", "Seriously?! We coulda used some extra firepower back there. I'm not even asking for 'artifact', just a potion of fire breathing, or something. Just once.", "I know, but ... Who looks like that? He LOOKS great. It's just weird every time.", "I'd still rather have Pants of Bidet when I can't get my full kit off in under fifteen minutes ...")

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases