Parsantium City Sourcebook - now on sale!

RichGreen

Adventurer
Hi,

Five years ago I started brainstorming a new city for my D&D campaign called Parsantium on this thread. Lots of helpful folks popped by and contributed ideas which fed into the backdrop to two awesome 4e D&D campaigns, one of which is still running and one of which is on hiatus.

Having had several things published in the last 12 months, including the Midgard Bestiary for 4th Edition D&D (Kobold Press) and So What's the Armour Like, Anyway? (Raging Swan), I've decided to write a Parsantium city sourcebook, compatible with all editions of D&D and Pathfinder. This is going to take me a while so I'm writing design diaries each week on my blog. You can check these out here if you want to know a bit more.

So I can make sure this book is something other D&D gamers would like to read and use in their campaigns, please let me know what you think makes a city sourcebook cool for you!

Cheers

Richard

Last edited:

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
Well, taking for granted high-quality content, I'd like to offer a few suggestions on presentation.

1) First of all, I like to have cool, detailed and readable maps. The more the better. Ideally, an overall map, detailed maps of every district and maps of important buildings/locations.

2) A good index, including streets and locations and how to find them quickly on the maps.

3) Dual print/electronic format, with the electronic version being optimized for screen reading.

4) Links to information relevant to the current topic being discussed (much like those in Ptolus by Monte Cook). In the electronic version this would actually be hyper-links.

RichGreen

Adventurer
Hi Nikosandros,

Good suggestions!

I love maps too, but I'm on limited budget as I'm publishing the book myself, so I'm not sure I'll be able to afford more than one unfortunately. I'll try and make this as detailed as possible though. Also, the book is likely to be ebook only, with a possible print on demand option.

A good index, easy to read on screen and links should all be doable.

Cheers

Richard

RichGreen

Adventurer
Hi,

I've posted a new design diary here. I'd also be interested to know how useful a "facilities & services" section is for DMs in a city sourcebook. Do you like to know how much it costs to buy or rent a house, or how easy it is to track down an NPC spellcaster?

Cheers

Richard

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
Personally, I think that the facilities & services section is very useful. This kind of stuff comes up often in my games, whenever the party is staying long term in a city. I also like the inclusion of festivals that you described in your latest design diary.

RichGreen

Adventurer
Personally, I think that the facilities & services section is very useful. This kind of stuff comes up often in my games, whenever the party is staying long term in a city. I also like the inclusion of festivals that you described in your latest design diary.
Thanks Nikosandros! Just noticed you live in Rome - one of the festivals I'm including is based on the Palio di Siena - thought that was too cool not to have ;)

Rich

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
one of the festivals I'm including is based on the Palio di Siena - thought that was too cool not to have ;)
The Palio is indeed something special. The rivalry between the "contrade" in incredibly fierce and for the supporters the defeat of the opposing contrada is almost more important than the victory of their own. Also people get intensely emotional and the whole ritual, with each horse being blessed in the church of the contrada is really something.

RichGreen

Adventurer
The Palio is indeed something special. The rivalry between the "contrade" in incredibly fierce and for the supporters the defeat of the opposing contrada is almost more important than the victory of their own. Also people get intensely emotional and the whole ritual, with each horse being blessed in the church of the contrada is really something.
Thanks for that -I'll play up the rivalry and the blessings ;)

Cheers

Rich

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
I agree with your choice about the regional map. If you're on a limited budget, better to focus on maps of the city itself. As you wrote, many DMs will drop the city in their own campaign world anyway.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases