ZEITGEIST The Continuing Adventures of Unit 27

Bruize

First Post
My group has finally completed the Dying Skyseer and will be starting Digging for Lies tonight! We are a tad slow because we usually only play for 3 hours or so a week which is enough for about 1 encounter and some good roleplay. Anyhow, Unit 27 is known around these forums for their brash personalities and their penchant for killing important npcs.

Most of the adventure logs contain portions (some very long) of our Fantasy Grounds 2 chat logs.

Unit 27's Obsidian Portal

Bruize

First Post
This past Sunday, my group met Professor Xambria for the first time in the Digging for Lies module. I wanted to share the conversation. I had a blast playing the nutty professor. I was going for 'absent minded cat lady' but my players said she reminded them of Professor Trelawney from Harry Potter.

Professor Xambria: Come in, come in.
Professor Xambria: It's tea time. Join me won't you?
Gregorviach: Thank you. I will.
Gregorviach sits down
Vikhim enters and stands up, watching Xambria.
Liam De'Farc: Greetings, Professor. I hope we are not disturbing you.
Professor Xambria: No, no, I was just about to pour a cup of tea.
Vikhim: Vikhim not drink tea
Mael the Black: I agree, is not great drink
Gregorviach: What kind are you serving?
Professor Xambria scurries towards a silver platter on a sideboard and begins to place more teacups atop it.
Aranos distractedly fiddles with the pockets on his new robe. Reaching inside and feeling all manner of things he doesn’t remember putting in there.
Professor Xambria: I was going to have a new one I picked up a few months back on a trip to Ber
Professor Xambria: It has a sweet, almost floral aftertaste.
Gregorviach: Ah.
Liam De'Farc: As much as we'd love to chat about tea, we do have a reason for being here.
Vikhim: Floral? Vikhim not like this floral tea, vikhim think it bad.
Mael the Black makes a gagging motion
Professor Xambria carries the tray over to a coffee table and sets it down, pouring a cup for everyone.
Professor Xambria: please help yourself.
Gregorviach: So, what were you doing in Ber?
Professor Xambria takes a cup and then sits on an overstuffed chair and begins to sip quietly.
Professor Xambria: I was making arrangements for an expedition.
Gregorviach smells the aroma
Vikhim: What expedition? Vikhim curious.
Professor Xambria: A digsite near Bole. It was a magnificent find really.
Professor Xambria: My, you have a marvelous robe. Where did you get such a thing?
Aranos notices Greg breathing deeply and hopes no one notices what he just did, finding a reason to back into a corner and wave his hand behind him.
Professor Xambria takes in Aranos's new robe
Liam De'Farc places the copy of the pages seen in the tiefling's quarters, and places them on the table.
Liam De'Farc: Do you know anything about this?
Gregorviach: So we were wondering if you've had any interesting visitors recently?
Liam De'Farc destures to the part with her name.
Professor Xambria: Oh my, no. I've never seen a robe like this before. That's why I asked him where he got it.
Professor Xambria: visitors? No, not lately.
Gregorviach: It might not have been recently, in particular have any tieflings or Danorans visited you.
Aranos: It was obtained recently... I was as surprised as you, but it seems to be very useful.
Professor Xambria: It is certainly a lovely specimen.
Professor Xambria: Tiefling? I know one of those.
Vikhim: Tell us about him
Aranos nods.
Professor Xambria takes a sip of tea and then a bite of cookie.
Liam De'Farc coughs politely, again gesturing to the paper placed on the table.
Gregorviach: It is a recent acquisition, it was a gift.
Professor Xambria looks at Vikhim curiously.
Gregorviach: Ah, who was this tiefling?
Professor Xambria: Well, he appears to be a Deva and has a very stylish robe. Have you two not met yet?
Gregorviach: Feel free to ignore him. We are still working on teaching him manners.
Professor Xambria waves her teacup towards Aranos.
Vikhim: Vikhim not met any tieflings.
Gregorviach: Met whom? I work with Aranos, though he only started with us recently.
Professor Xambria: Aranos? What a wonderful name.
Gregorviach: However, back to this tiefling, could you tell us what you know about him?
Professor Xambria: The tiefling? Oh yes. Well, I met a tiefling nobleman who offered to fund my expedition.
Gregorviach: Really, which expedition was this?
Neth: Hmm, did he mention what his interest in the expedition was?
Professor Xambria: The one I went to Ber to arrange.
Gregorviach: Ah, what is the goal or site of this expedition?
Professor Xambria turns to Aranos, "I'm sorry, what are your interests dear?"
Gregorviach: Was his name Caius Bergeron?
Mael the Black drinks from his flask cause this looks like it's gonna take a while
Professor Xambria: No dear, his name is Aranos. You told me he just started on with you recently.
Gregorviach: No, the teifling. Was the teiflings name Caius?
Aranos: Knowledge of any kind, madam professor. In particular chemical and mechanical and arcane.
Liam De'Farc 's eyes get wide as he realized just how coocoo for coco puffs this chick is.
Professor Xambria: Oh, I know a tiefling!
Gregorviach: Is his name Caius?
Professor Xambria: Who's dear?
Mael the Black: Maybe I hit on head and fix problem
Liam De'Farc sighs.
Liam De'Farc: The tiefling you know.
Mael the Black looks at Liam nodding excitedly
Professor Xambria turns her attention to the map on the table.
Liam De'Farc shakes his head no.
Neth sets her tea down and steps away from the table, "this is not going well," she says and then closes her eyes and takes some deep breaths.
Mael the Black: Bah, oh well
Gregorviach: I think only one of us should be talking to her. Liam you want to stay here or go talk to the Department head?
Professor Xambria: Oh! How lovely! You found a map to my digsite! You know the one Caius funded for me? It was a marvelous find indeed.
Gregorviach: What did you find there?
Aranos: She ate some cookies with her tea earlier. Did you slip her one of yours, Neth?
Vikhim: Vikhim confused, how xambria ate some cookies?
Neth looks at Aranos slightly annoyed, "No I didn't."
Professor Xambria: At the digsite? We found a number of ancient artifacts and a massive golden seal.
Neth searches through a couple of pockets, but doesn't pull anything out.
Aranos: Hey.... just saying. seems like something you might do for fun.
Aranos grins.
Gregorviach sighs
Vikhim looks curiously when she says golden seal.
Liam De'Farc: Golden seal? Tell us about the seal, Professor, if you would be so kind.
Vikhim: What mean by seal of golden?
Gregorviach: If you'll excuse me.
Mael the Black: I think maybe it made of gold
Aranos ponders what effect Neth's cookies might have on this nutcase.
Gregorviach gets up and heads out
Mael the Black: Is just guess though
Gregorviach goes looking for Proffesor Waber
Professor Xambria: To be honest, I don't remember much about it. I remember it was deep in the temple, beyond the light bridges and some traps. We found it and it was enormous, etched with astrological signs and.....
Liam De'Farc destures for her to go on.
Professor Xambria trails off and then just stares ahead for a moment before finally taking a sip of tea.
Professor Xambria: Oh dear, what a lovely robe. Where did you get it?
Liam De'Farc: Oh sweet gods.
Vikhim: Vikhim think Xambria need go to healer, she not all there.
Professor Xambria focus on Neth's staff, her eyes widening.
Professor Xambria: You recovered the staff! Oh my, aren't you such dears for bringing it back to me!
Professor Xambria: I thought all was lost when I returned alone and without any artifacts to show for.
Neth: I acquired this staff recently.
Aranos shifts uncomfortably.
Liam De'Farc whispers to Mael, "Good gods, this woman has lost her mind!"
Professor Xambria: I remember it was at the seal when the Tieflings showed up and...
Mael the Black: I still have solution you know
Mael the Black pats hammer
Professor Xambria trails off and then just stares ahead for a moment before finally taking a sip of tea.
Liam De'Farc: If she asks about the robe again....
Abel clicks around Aranos' feet happily. A small panel in his top opens on a hinge.
Mael the Black: hehehe
Neth looks at the others, "Is anyone following this conversation?"
Liam De'Farc: Well, I now have a better idea why Professor Stick-up-the-butt was so adamant that we not speak with her.
Aranos throws a ball bearing into the panel and it claps shut. Abel scampers off, clicking joyously.
Neth looks back at the professor, "What tieflings? Wa it some kind of attack?"
Vikhim looks at Neth "Vikhim getting too confused, almost chop her head off"
Aranos: Abel does love his treats...
Professor Xambria turns to Mael and winks.
Mael the Black: Well he is a good... shape?
Mael the Black regards her suspiciously
Professor Xambria: Hi there cutie. Are you seeing anyone?
Mael the Black: Hmmm
Vikhim almost throws up.
Aranos pulls the front of his robe open suggestively...
Mael the Black: Yes there is definite problem
Vikhim: vikhim leave before cut head off
Vikhim leaves the room
Professor Xambria gets a distant look in her eyes and she quietly utters, "I can't believe they're all dead." She then gets a vacant stare.
Vikhim just before leaving he hears Xambria say that and turns around, not leaving the room.
Vikhim: What you say?
Neth sits down.
Neth: Professor, what happened?
Liam De'Farc: I fear we'll not be getting anythign useful out of the woman.
Professor Xambria: What happened when dear?
Mael the Black: Yes, we... how you say... spinning wheels?
Liam De'Farc: Never mind, Professor. Thank you for the tea, but I think we will leave you to your studies.
Professor Xambria nods to Liam
Liam De'Farc destures for the rest to prepare to depart.
Professor Xambria: Thank you all for coming to visit. Please do come again!
Mael the Black wastes no time and exits
Liam De'Farc: Of course, professor. Have a pleasant day.
Liam De'Farc leaves the room.
As Aranos walks out the door, Xambria comments once more on his lovely robe.
Liam De'Farc: By the gods, am I the only one who was seriously creeped out in there?
Liam De'Farc: That was beyond insane, I think.

Bruize

First Post
I think the odds increase exponentially the further we get into the module. The shifter beheaded Kaja in a "frenzy". I ended up having one of the Kell pistoleer filling her role for the info dump and death.

I was doing some updating on our Obsidian Portal page and ran across a flowchart one of my players made for the Dying Skyseer "conspiracy". It felt very gratifying to see someone trying to work it out!

View attachment 57120

Bruize

First Post
I just wanted to give an update on Unit 27. I highly recommend reading their chat logs. They are usually very entertaining.

Obsidian Portal Page

Unit 27's Skyseer couldn't walk 5 feet in the Ziggurat of Apet without experiencing a vision it seemed. He had both the published visions as well as some designed around various character histories. He has calmed down decidedly from what he first was, finding his niche in the team.

The agents made their way back to Flint after meeting the voice of Rot and questioning the conductor on the train home. They requisitioned a warrant for the ticket sale records for Xambria and the groups of Tieflings, focusing specifically on the group returning with a large crated artifact.

The next log entry (to be made this week) will cover their investigations in Flint (Cauis's Room, The Dockmaster I had to make on the Fly, and Stanfield Canal).

Bruize

First Post
Last night, Unit 27 had the Gala encounter from Digging for Lies. I had to cheese things just a tad because one of my players min/maxed the hell out of a charging barbarian.

First, I populated the map with a lot of random tokens, including a few personalities that the PCs encountered including LeBrix and a Tiefling they encountered in a side mission. They saw these names and instantly had connections to the Gala. I'll come back to that though. When Xambria appeared, the players had split into two small groups, one taking the artifacts to the cases and one near the entrance with Delft. When most of the enemies appeared, they all made comments about thinking they were going to die. The wizard locked down the maw and some implanters with a daily that did no damage but pulling things closer together. Xambria got personal with the wizard as she went for the artifacts (that the players were standing next to). The Paladin slapped Xambria with a daily...that hurt. The Barbarian then charged Xambria and bloodied her...charging cheese and all. I immidiately used the triggered action to separate Sijhen and then let him do the villain monologue and declare the PCs wouldn't stop him, blah, blah, blah. The Barbarian then used an action point to knock Xambria unconcious and then charge an implanter in the main hall. The Rogue was swarmed by implanters near the entrance since the Barbarian left him alone. Delft stood there taking notes. LeBrix survived round one virtually by dumb luck because the rogue was in the main hall and not within striking distance.

By the third round, The rogue had tried to duck the implanters but ended his turn within range of the maw's pull, was hit, was pulled, and reduced to less than 0 by Swallow Mind, and also contracted Distant Madness. I intentionally mistakenly left the thoughtform condition off the maw which was a saving grace for the PCs. All in all, the encounter was good. It was a bit overtuned because the PCs split the party.

Our next session, we will continue with the aftermath of the encounter. The rogue has already said he intends to kill LeBrix (because he and the team still hate him with a passion). I happened to mention all the witnesses and he reminded me that as a changeling, he can be anyone of those witnesses he wants to be. Because of his clever tactic and the fact that he was almost a greasy spot on the floor of the Entry Hall, I'm inclined to let him have a chance. My backup plan is that since Delft is there, he can quickly slip into place to prevent a killing blow and when LeBrix wakes up and tried to press charges, he can just tell him that due to the commotion, the agents mistook LeBrix for an evil Doppelganger but since no lasting harm was done that he was free to go.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases