SCI-FI RPG List

Warren LaFrance

First Post
I am looking for a good list of "current" sci-fi rpg games. Mostly I am finding --via google -- old games like Traveller 2300 AD and etc...

What I am really looking for is a "modern rule" set sci-fi game that is realistic enough, yet allows for heroic play...

I am not looking for a strict combat simulation system...

Warren

CarlZog

Explorer
Here's a list of the Hard Sci-Fi core rulebooks currently available on RPGNow.

Don't be too dismissive of out-of-print games. Just because a game is old doesn't mean it's not still imminently playable, and many old games still maintain active player bases generating high quality, fan-produced material.

TreChriron

Adventurer
Supporter
GURPS 4e Space + Core Books + Spaceships and you can "roll-your-own" game. GURPS is a detailed, leaning on realistic generic game tool-kit. It takes a little work to build YOUR setting, but the game has a plethora of options that you can tune the mechanics to your liking. Also Transhuman Space is a great hard sci-fi setting and they have a couple PDFs that update the 3e rules to 4e (Changing Times).

Precis Intermedia is re-releasing the Masterbook series of games, one of which is Shatterzone. The scans are GORGEOUS!! Easy to read. The setting is basically a bunch of stuff WEG made for Star Wars (extended universe) but was not approved. They polished it up and made a new setting. It's dark, gritty and has piles of stuff. The Masterbook system shows its age a little, but has some interesting mechanics. Worth checking out.

Mongoose is publishing the current version of Traveller, which is a solid game. It's hard to go wrong with Traveller and the various fans sites and support across the Internets is superb (there's also ALOT). I LOVE Traveller maps! Also, SJGames made a bunch of licensed stuff for Traveller for 3e, and the books have piles of good info for any Traveller game. The GURPS 4e Traveller book is set "in the past" and has a bunch of great maps and setting info.

edemaitre

Explorer
I like the following current SFRPGs:

-FATE 3e Bulldogs (compatible with Diaspora, Starblazer Adventures, Mindjammer, and Strands of FATE; it's what I'm using for my homebrew campaign)

-Stars Without Number (retro-style game)

-Eclipse Phase (transhumanist)

-Gumshoe: Ashen Stars (horror-flavored space opera)

-Starships & Spacemen 2e (Trek-flavored)

-Traveller (Mongoose's well-supported take on the classic)

-StarCluster 3 (like Stars Without Number, a nice standalone game)

-Star Wars: Saga Edition (out of print, but this recent space opera is solid D20 heroics)

-Other decent speculative fiction RPGs worth a second look include ICE's SpaceMaster, Star Hero, various D20/OGL sourcebooks, D6 Space, GURPS 4e Space, and Jovian Chronicles 2e.

modiphius

Explorer
Mutant Chronicles 3rd Edition RPG - coming this year from Modiphius :) It will be gritty, dark but with lots of pulp style play opportunity

CarlZog

Explorer
Although it's OOP, you should seriously consider Alternity. It's excellent for modern and near future sf, with a modular mechanics system that is realistic but also easily allows for more cinematic, heroic-style combat and action.

Core books are available cheaply on ebay, and you can still download an intro/fastplay rules set (Player GM) from Alternityrpg.net.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases