ZEITGEIST Question about starting Zeitgeist

jacktannery

Explorer
I am about to start a Zeitgeist campaign as a GM. I am pretty excited about the quality of the player's book, campaign setting and first adventure, which I downloaded for free from this website.

If the adventure plays out as well as it looks, I will pay for modules 2+.

However, while skimming through these forums I have spotted references to NPC Portrait Packs, advanced ship rules, filled out player themes, and player handouts (newspaper clippings) that are available to subscribers only. Since I was going to run adventure 1 without being a subscriber (and only become a subscriber later for adventure 2), how much are my players and I missing out on?

ShannonPS

First Post
I've just done the same thing. And "The Island at the Axis of the World" played very well, so I've now purchased, and am enthusiastically prepping, "The Dying Skyseer".

You're not missing out on much. The NPC Portrait Packs and newspaper clippings make for nice hand-outs, but the portraits are the same ones which appear in the adventure, while the newspaper clippings are just generated from material that's presented to you anyhow. The advanced ship rules aren't relevant to TIatAotW. I'm not sure what you mean by "filled out player themes"; there are individual handouts for each theme, but I don't think there's any material difference between these and what's printed in the Zeitgeist Players' Handbook.

So, to make a long story short -- you've got everything you need. Have fun!

Shannon

jacktannery

Explorer
Thank you ShannonPS - that answers my question perfectly. Regarding the themes, I had a look through this forum and found a thread where RangerWickett described his ideas for level 5 and 10 features for each of the themes, so I presumed that fully filled-out themes existed for subscribers, but perhaps I just got mixed up.

Sound of Azure

Contemplative Soul
Regarding the character themes, they are expanded in adventure 3: Digging for Lies, with level 5 and 10 features. ShannonPS has the right of it regarding the rest. If you become a silver subscriber here, however, you will get access to all of the Zeitgeist adventures as well as the Admiral o' the High Seas book, which contains more advanced ship rules. It's a bit cheaper than buying all of the things separately.
I hope you'll continue on to Dying Skyseer. It's one of my favourite adventures of all time.

Last edited:

Regarding the character themes, they are expanded in adventure 3: Digging for Lies, with level 5 and 10 features. ShannonPS has the right of it regarding the rest. If you become a silver subscriber here, however, you will get access to all of the Zeitgeist adventures as well as the Admiral o' the High Seas book, which contains more advanced ship rules. It's a bit cheaper than buying all of the things separately.
I hope you'll continue on to Dying Skyseer. It's one of my favourite adventures of all time.

I'm not seeing expanded themes in the pathfinder version of Digging for Lies. Is the a 4e only thing or am I missing it?

Only 4e. Character themes in 4e have abilities that crop up at 5th and 10th level, but PF folks get feats, so it's just a different progression.

jacktannery

Explorer
Thanks for that info. I'll start the game confident I'm not missing anything now.

I'm afraid I won't be posting my campaign notes here like so many other wonderful contributors. However, my game will be played online (Play by post) and is public, so anyone can come over and see how we are getting along [EDIT - no they can't; I'm not allowed to post any links. But you can make the link yourself by typing www dot rpol dot net and then pasting this after it: /game.cgi?gi=54669&date=1361382722

Last edited:

jacktannery

Explorer
Ok I have a another quick question.

Several prospective players in the game are interested in playing Psionic characters, and several of these also want to be tieflings from Danor. No problem, I thought. However, one has now very insightfully asked me how Psionic powers are affected by Danor's anti-magic zone. It's probably a good sign that they are reading the player's guide and even thought to ask this.

Normally I'd just make up the answer, but in this case future Zeitgeist modules might actually address this - for example in Adventure 4 Always on Time I gather all the PCs go to Danor to catch a train. If all or most of my PCs are psionic types, will that be an issue? And does the Danor anti-magic zone affect psionic magic? Thanks.

Psionics is magic, as far as Zeitgeist is concerned. So a psion or ardent or whatever needs some sort of magical item to use as a focus while in Danor, or else she can't use her powers.

Remove ads