Looking for Transparent Map covering...

Warren LaFrance

First Post
I recently watched Table Top and the Dragon Age demo part 2 and they used some type of transparent covering for the world map. I have also seen a similar product being used at D&D 4e game days, yet I am having a hard time figuring out the right "Google" search terms to find such a product... Does anyone have a link to this product or something similar?

Nytmare

David Jose
I used to use two sheets of 3x4 plexiglass.

PROS
You only have to purchase it (or in my case, swipe it from work) once instead of laminating every map you ever buy/make.
2 sheets of plexiglass are a lot easier to store than X laminated maps
Maps under a sheet of plexi look REALLY nice. It also automatically irons out all the folds.
Every map turns into a wet/dry erase map.
Already drawn out battlemaps won't get smudged by damp handed adventurers.
If you use printed out 2D terrain, sticking it under plexiglass stops it from getting accidentally kicked out of place while people are moving minis

CONS
It can get to be pricey, especially if you want to have 1 solid sheet as opposed to 2 or more smaller chunks. A 3x4 sheet costs about 30 bucks. A 4x6 sheet costs just over 100. A 4x8 sheet costs almost 200.
Plexiglass is far smoother than a battlemat or paper map. My game table was solid enough that we never had to worry about people bumping the table and messing up a game, but if anyone ever bumped the plexi, or pulled/shifted the tablecloth the plexi was sitting on, the stuff sitting on top of the plexi (especially plastic minis) would go skating off across the map.

frandallfarmer

Explorer
Large Acrylic sheets are cheap and easy to get...

See http://slyflourish.com/battle_map_comparisons.html

For all of these poster maps, I highly recommend the large acrylic sheet. This large sheet sits right over your poster maps, protecting them from wear and leaving a perfectly smooth surface for your miniatures. You can also draw areas of effect, monster defenses, or anything else right on the map without worry. You can often pick these up at Home Depot or other home improvement stores.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases