D&D 5E 2/18/13 L&L column

Falling Icicle

Adventurer
There need to be non-magical healing options in the game. They don't need to be as extreme or abstract as 4e warlords and their cheerleader healing, but they need to be there in some form. If the party isn't able to heal, it brings the adventure to a grinding hault. Without non-magical healing, you force the party to make someone play a cleric, or make someone who wants to play a cleric spend most of his resources healing people, rather than getting to do fun things himself. In either case, someone is being forced to not have fun. The alternative is that the party is forced to stock up on potions and wands of cure light wounds.

Obryn

Hero
I didn't expect anything else in Core - I'm thinking of it as mostly a new take on the Basic set. And I'm good with toggles and switches.

But the option, for me, must be there and it must be handled thoughtfully.

-O

Falling Icicle

Adventurer
The game already has nonmagical healing, doesn't it? The hit dice mechanic?

It's usually a good idea to read the article before commenting on it. :p

[Edit] Since humor doesn't translate well over the internet, I should specify that I was, in fact, attempting to be humurous. No insult intended. :)

Last edited:

CasvalRemDeikun

Adventurer

The game already had nonmagical healing

I really think the only way they can reach the conclusions they are drawing is to release a character class that is a non-magical healer, such as the Warlord, and gauge the reactions from there. As of right now, they only have one coordinate on a graph and are trying to draw a line using it.

pemerton

Legend
I took it that they're thinking of pulling that out - or, at least, "modularising" it:

As a default, we can just embrace the cleric's healing with the understanding that most groups have rolled with that in the past without any real issues. The nice thing about that solution is that it keeps things simple, since the Hit Die mechanic (along with the other options we've tried) becomes an optional rule for groups to use as they see fit.​

EDIT: double ninja-ed.

FireLance

Legend
"Our goal has been to remove cleric healing as a necessary element of adventuring."

And that, IMO, is the first mistake. The goal should have been to remove any kind of healing as a necessary element of adventuring.

Whatever the game assumes to be the "standard adventuring day" should be determined on the basis that each PC has no healing capability. Healing in the form of magic items would thus enable the PCs to artificially extend the "adventuring day", whereas healing in the form of class abilities (such as healing spells) would effectively be neutral since they are obtained at the opportunity cost of other class abilities (i.e. instead of casting a healing spell, a cleric could have used an offensive spell that ended a fight early, before more hit points were lost, or used a defensive spell that prevented the loss of hit points in the first place. Alternatively, instead of playing a cleric, the player could have run another character with better offensive or defensive capabilities*).

Giving the PCs some ability to restore their own hit points (presumably, non-magically) would thus be a dial which would increase the length of the adventuring day across the board.

* In 4e-speak, you can replace a leader with a striker and the game still works because the striker will end the fight faster, thereby reducing the PCs' overall hit point loss. You can also replace a leader with a defender, and the game still works because the defender will reduce the opponents' ability to deal damage to the party as a whole. Presumably, there is a similar argument for replacing a leader with a controller, but it probably isn't as clear-cut.

GX.Sigma

Adventurer
On the one hand: It does seem like absolute madness to do a U-turn on one of the most anticipated design goals. Why not assume that every party doesn't have a healer, and just have any healing be a bonus?

On the other hand: It actually does make sense -- HD healing is an extra thing that sits on top of the basic rules and adds complexity in order to change the rules to support a certain type of gameplay. That's literally the definition of an optional rules module. I know I don't want to have to explain healing surges to a player that's never played before...

...but, then again, I don't want to have to explain that the Cleric has to be the party healer, either. There must be a better way.

Also:
the Hit Die mechanic (along with the other options we've tried) becomes an optional rule for groups to use
I hope not, since those other options were utter gibberish, and it seems no one has playtested or even read them since they were introduced.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases