Oriental Adventures: Hengeyokai natural form, and mystery hit points

So my friend and I (who share DMing in a campaign) are having a tough time coming to a consensus on how to deal with hengeyokai.

The first question that comes up is "what is their natural form?" In 3.0, the Force Shapchange spell refers to true forms, and hengeyokai were the shapechanged subtype, with no disclosed true form. As of the 3.5 update, they are humanoids with the shapechanger subtype. But they have two humanoid forms--human and hybrid.

The other question is a real mess. We're attempting to determine what to do about hit points for a dog hengeyokai, who gets a +2 Con in his hybrid form. By standard D&D rules for alternate form in either 3.0 or 3.5, hit points don't change from that of your natural form, even when your Con changes. So I have to know whether it's the human or hybrid form to know what their hit points will be.

The easiest way would be to say that it is their human form, since that's what you start with before granting the bonus ability score in hybrid form. But that is really unsatisfying conceptually, as the text and tradition consistently refers to them as "shapechanging animals." Of course animal form as true form would be odd since the animal form has stats based on the animal, rather than your own determined ability scores. And in 3.5 since they humanoids, the animal form isn't an option.

Which leaves human or hybrid, and creates a crazy mess with trying to fit concepts with hit points.

Thoughts?

Derren

Hero
Lore wise the animal form would be their true one. Game wise the human form is likely considered to be the base one for attributes etc.

Yeah. I'm thinking the best way to pull it off would be to treat the human form as the statistical baseline. In hybrid form, even though it's technically "Alternate Form" I'd allow hit points to increase while in that form. As far as what is the natural or true form for the purposes of those few spells that care, I'd go with the hybrid form. Now I just have to sell my co-DM on the idea.

Starfox

Adventurer
I'm thinking the most powerful form should be the base form, rules-wise. Which would be the hybrid form. Conceptually, they are still animals, and that is the form they'd revert to when slain and so on.

Remove ads