D6 Star Wars RPG Thoughts

Water Bob

Adventurer
WEG's D6 Star Wars game is brilliant, no matter which version of the rules you use. It's one of my favorite all-time games. I've said before that I think it's the best marriage between a set of mechanics and a gaming universe that I've ever seen in all my decades of gaming.

Still, I had a few dislikes. I thought I'd list two of them here. Feel free to post your D6 Star Wars tweaks in this thread.

First off, I don't like the combat round structure presented in the game. It changes, somewhat, depending on what version you're using, but it's basically the same in each version.

1. Determine which side in the combat goes first. In SW 2E R&E, this is done by the character with the highest PER score on each side making opposed throws. The character with the highest throw decides which side gets to go first.

2. When a side goes, each character in that side gets to act. And, the character with the highest PER score acts first, followed by the second highest, and so on.

3. But, each character is allowed to do only ONE action. After the entire side has moved (all characters have performed one action), then the second side gets to move, and so on.

4. Once all sides have moved, then we go back to the first side and perform section actions, and so on.

So, for example, if you wanted your character to move to the doorway and zip around the corner, popping off two shots at the stormtroopers, you'd first wait until your side goes, then you'd do one action--you'd move to the doorway. Then everybody on your side behind you gets to do one action. And, then, the other side gets to do one action, until if finally comes back to you, at which time, you can lean around the corner and fire once. Then we go through everybody again, until it all comes back to you for your third action.

On the surface, this sounds like a great way to simulate simultaneous movement and action. In practice, it's dull and boring and...very un-Star Wars, in my opinion.

I was surprised to see this system in the game, to be honest. All over the book, especially the first edition book, you'll see lots of advice on running a quick, seat-o-the-pants game to simulate the frantic action of the Star Wars movies. Then, the game presents this meticulous round procedure.

My solution was to go a more traditional route with the combat procedure. First, I'd have every character in the fight roll PER, and I'd record the order. This sounds like a hassle, but I only did this one time--to establish order--at the beginning of a combat. Once order was established, I followed it to the end of combat. A character could "hold" his action, if he wanted, basically lowering his initiative count, but if he did that, his count would remain at that position for the rest of the fight. If newcomers entered the fray, they simply rolled PER on the round that they entered, and I'd fit them into initiative line-up a the point indicated by their roll.

This worked great when I ran my multi-year Star Wars campaign. The fights would play out in a much more "Star Wars" fashion than what was suggested by the official rules.

Now, under my House Rule, if a player wanted his character to run up to the doorway and pop-off two shots at the stormtroopers down the corridor, well, that's exactly what he'd do when his turn came up: Move and pow, pow.

It did dawn on me that, maybe, the D6 game designers were trying to keep the player characters alive when they designed the combat round. Blasters can be quite deadly, and where one shot might stun or wound a character, two or more shots might incapaciate or kill a character.

So, if you use my house rule, consider all of the ramifcations.

One thing that you might want to consider, if using the House Rule suggested above, is to take a nod from Classic Traveller and add a damage phase in between rounds. So, your combats would play like this:

1. PER check for initiative (first round only)
2. All actions peformed on the character's initiative count, but damage not inflicted until damage phase.
3. Damage Phase: Apply damage just before the start of the next round.

Thus, if you run up to the doorway, pop around the corner, and fire two shots at the stormtroopers, then you'd do that, but if you hit, you wouldn't apply damage until the end of the round.

Thus, the stormtroopers, if damaged, would not feel the effects of that damage until the damage phase. That way, you've still got the easy-breezy Star Wars ease-of movent, and you can simulate simulate a more simultaneous combat round.

The other House Rule I used is one that I brought over from Classic Traveller, and you'll want to consider this rule change only if you're using one of the later editions of the game. That's because the later editions added a lot of skills to the game. For example, in the first edition, you've got Starship Piloting. In 2E R&E, there's Capital Ship Piloting, Space Transports, and Starfighter Piloting. What was governed by one skill in the first edition of the game is covered by three skills in the last edition of the game.

The Technical skills is another area where skills were added. In the first edition, there's Computer Programming & Repair, Demolition, Droid Programming & Repair, Medicine, Repulsorlift Craft Repair, Security, and Starship Repair.

In the last edition of the rules, The Technical skills increase to 18 skills:

Armor Repair
Blaster Repair
Captial Ship Repair
Capital Ship Weapon Repair
Computer Programming/Repair
Demolitions
Droid Programming
Droid Repair
First Aid
Ground Vehicle Repair
Hover Vehicle Repair
Medicine
Repulsorlift Repair
Security
Space Transports Repair
Starfighter Repair
Starship Weapon Repair
Walker Repair

My first thought, seeing the lastest rules, was, "Well, how did Luke Skywalker get to be such a hot-shot pilot? He's 19 years old--a moisture farmhand on a desert world who has lived with his aunt and uncle is entire life."

Using the 1st edition rules, it makes sense, because there's only one skill that covers Starship Piloting. One can assume that, with one skill, the knowledge needed to fly a military spacefighter isn't that much different than piloting the family vessel. But, if Starfighter Piloting and Space Transports are different skills, then it makes no sense at all that Luke could have flown the X-Wing starfighter the way he did. Where would have have gotten that training--before he was 19 years old?

In order to bridge the 1st and 2nd edition rules, I suggest this House Rule: Whenever a task can be performed by a like skill, then allow the use of the alternate skill at one die less.

For example, young Luke Skywalker could, indeed, have achieved a high Space Transports 6D rating by using Uncle Owen's space caddilac over his youth. When he got to the cockpit of the X-Wing, he saw that the controls were not that much different. Thus, Luke's Space Transports skills serves as Starship Piloting 5D (one die code lower).

The same argument can be made for Repulsorlift Operation. Luke has his two-seat land speeder, and in the garage, we see the T-16 air speeder that he said he used to bullseye womp rats. Plus, the airspeeders used by Rogue Squadron on Hoth would use the Repulsorlift Operation skill. Flying those vehicles around, in my estimation, really isn't that much different that piloting a starfighter. Thus, I'd allow the use of my House Rule: If Luke had Repulsorlift Operation 7D when he met Ben Kenobi, then he is qualified to use Starship Piloting 6D.

Another House Rule I used was to allow the Search skill to be used for Initiative. Search is governed by Perception, and my reasoning was that a character in the Star Wars universe should be learn and improve his combat reactions. Thus, Search became an important skill.

Of course, the game has rules for improving a character's PER score--it's just very, very hard to increase stats. You can do it, but you sacrifice the improvement of a lot of skills. Most Star Wars characters do not improve their six main stats after character generation. Even Darth Vader has the same amount of dice in his six basic stats as any starting human character.

I figured that a character could go to the Star Wars equivalent of Marine Corps boot camp and come out with a better understanding of sizing up a combat situation. Search seemed like the best skill to use for that use.

You may or may not want to do this in your game. One of the ramifications is that you might end up with group of PCs who some perceptive, searching SOB's. If that seems unrealistic to you, then just keep the PER as the stat you use for Initiative. (Or, you can make up an Initiative skill....?)

Other than those changes, I pretty much ran the game as directed by the 2E R&E rules. And, to be fair, if I started a new Star Wars game today, I know I'd use the same round structure house rule and the "like skill" rule, but I'm not sure about using Search for initiative. I go back and forth on that one.

Randalthor

First Post
D6 Star Wars is also my favorite version of the game - particularly 2E R&E. I did not have the problems with initiative that you did, likely because I haven't played the game in well over a decade, and my evolution as a gamer wasn't where it is now. Would love to have a game of SW now, though.... *sigh*

Stormonu

Legend
For example, young Luke Skywalker could, indeed, have achieved a high Space Transports 6D rating by using Uncle Owen's space caddilac over his youth. When he got to the cockpit of the X-Wing, he saw that the controls were not that much different. Thus, Luke's Space Transports skills serves as Starship Piloting 5D (one die code lower).

Somewhere in the WEG books, it mentions that the T-16 Skyhopper and the X-Wing had the same piloting configuration; that was supposed to explain how Luke was such a natural pilot of the X-wing. But I see what you're getting at. :)

Sadly, it's been so long since I've played WEG Star Wars, I've forgotten any custom rules we had, other than no Kid or Ewok players being allowed in the group. I do agree, however, that WEG Star Wars (R&E) was my favorite version of the RPG. However, it would need a heavy revision of the Force rules to allow for Jedi characters of the likes you see in the prequels.

Randalthor

First Post
other than no Kid
Shucks, one of my favorite RPing experiences was when I was playing a Kid, and an Outlaw character - who did not really get along - in a Star Wars game.

It was way back in the mid-to-late '80s, I was in the Marine Corps and stationed in Okinawa. We would play at what we called the "Burger Barn" a sort of restaurant there on Camp Foster. The group was small so we were all playing 2-characters, there was a wide variety, and as there were already 2 jedi in the group (I think one of my first characters was a jedi, but he died) I went with something completely different - at least for me - a Kid. The Awesome Session involved no action, in fact there were no die rolls that we did not impose on ourselves for whatever reason. (Like: Did my character overhear the conversation being had by these other characters? - that sort of thing.) All the 6+ hour session was, was the group of us arriving at a starport on some planet in our busted up ship, in need of some serious repair. We landed, dealt with the port authorities and repair guys, then walked to a nearby bar. The session ended with our arrival at the bar. (I think it was closing time, around 2 AM for the Burger Barn.)

What made it so fun was being in character the whole time (mostly, we did get food and stuff), talking with the other PCs - and a few NPCs, here and there - and just interacting. Some of the other characters made a point of instigating little problems between my two characters as they all knew the Outlaw did not like having the "runty little pest" around. For his part, the Kid just had a lot of fun bugging the Outlaw as he knew it got under his skin; the other who did not mind him being around, the Kid did not bother - usually. Now, that is not to say that in every session the Kid was doing nothing but causing problems with the other characters, he did things for the current mission (it was the rebellion era, of course), but liked to play around a bit here and there. For the life of me, I cannot remember why the Kid was running around in the rebellion, but it probably had something do with avenging his family, or something like that. (This was a loooooonnng time ago.)

I always wondered what the other patrons of the place thought when they saw us roleplaying... nobody gave us any grief, so that's good, but I still wonder.

Wednesday Boy

The Nerd WhoFell to Earth
I think we used individual Perception checks for initiative too.

Another houserule that we had were all races started with 18D starting dice, regardless of what was listed. That evened the playing field somewhat for the races that, for whatever reason, would get more or less starting dice. It helped level the racial playing field a little but the disparity in mechanics of the races was still very prominent.

And in a two-player campaign where we both played jedi, the GM let us put 1D into each of the jedi power attributes (control, sense, and alter) without having to use our starting 18D. He thought it made us more well-rounded in the force and normal skills and we weren't about to argue!

Crothian

First Post
We had a lot of fun playing this for a few years. It took a long while but I eventually tracked down a copy of each book they made for the game. I know the game had its problems and the dice rolling could get ridiculous but we made it work.

Water Bob

Adventurer
I did not have the problems with initiative that you did....

Out of curiosity, did you run the combat sequence as written? If so, it work well for you?

Just curious about your opinion on it.

Somewhere in the WEG books, it mentions that the T-16 Skyhopper and the X-Wing had the same piloting configuration; that was supposed to explain how Luke was such a natural pilot of the X-wing.

Yeah...that rings a bell. It's been a while. I think both the T-16 and the X-Wing were manufactured by Incom, thus the similar control scheme.

Still, that doesn't quite fit with the movies. Remember how Luke professed to Han that he (Luke) wasn't such a bad pilot. I don't think he was talking about just Incom manufactured vessels.

I've forgotten any custom rules we had, other than no Kid or Ewok players being allowed in the group. I do agree, however, that WEG Star Wars (R&E) was my favorite version of the RPG.

Man, we had a great time with some comic relief characters. One of my players played a...oh heck, I forgot what they were called.

This dude look like a four-foot high squirrel that walked on its hind legs. Small, beedy eyes. Big buck teeth. Covered in short fur.

The species was known for bad eyesight, so this character (the player named him "Byrne") had a set of auto-telescoping goggles that he placed over a leather skull cap (that looked like a WWI flyer's hat). These eyepieces were constantly zooming in an out, like the telephoto lense of a digital camera. It created a hell of a scene that use to crack me up when the player would simulate the way the guy looked.

Byrne also had a stutter, and just a tad bit of a lisp. Probably a little bit of Tourettes, too.

When something would go wrong for the group in the game, we'd suddenly hear this high-pitched, "Phhhhuuuucccck!" The entire table would burst out laughing.

Same campaign, but a little later on, a different player started playing this Squib. He's another short fellow, but IIRC, they're fearless and quite annoying.

The player would have this character go on these long rants, about anything. Curse words right and left. He sounded like a sterotypical Mexican momma-mia pouring out these waves of litany.

You probably had to be there, but, man, we would laugh so hard that tears came to our eyes when this guy got started.

The other thing the Squib would do was contantly pull out his blaster. He's pull it out of its holster, real quick, with a bright look on his face, then his eyebrows would drop. And, his trigger finger would come off the trigger, waving at his target, as if to say, "Watch it....I'm quick! I'll bow you away."

The Squib did this all the time until he did it to the wrong customer. He ended up getting a big dark hole in his chest, pulling his weapon like that one too many times.

Quite a memorable character though.

2940206425_3090d1675b_o.jpg

Randalthor

First Post
Out of curiosity, did you run the combat sequence as written? If so, it work well for you?

Just curious about your opinion on it.
Sorry man, it has been so long since I played I couldn't tell you for sure. But, at the time, I don't think we were big into house-rules and we played most games straight - or with very little modification.

What I can tell you is that all I have are fond/happy feelings of my days playing Star Wars, and that even now I would not do much in the way of house-ruling if I was to run it. (This coming from a man who has no problem house-ruling a game during my the session.)

Water Bob

Adventurer
Sorry man, it has been so long since I played I couldn't tell you for sure. But, at the time, I don't think we were big into house-rules and we played most games straight - or with very little modification.

I try to play that way today, no matter which game I'm playing.

What I can tell you is that all I have are fond/happy feelings of my days playing Star Wars...

Me too. I love that game. Not just because I'm a Star Wars fan, but also because the mechanics were designed for fun.

Remove ads