D&D 5E Legend Lore says 'story not rules' (3/4)

Um what?

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/Article.aspx?x=dnd/4ll/20130304

So the entire idea of having add on rules modules is now gone??? The best thing (IMO) announced about Next is now on the back burner? :-S

It might be strange for the guy in charge of D&D R&D to say this, but here it goes: After the core rules for the game are done, we really want to stop adding so much stuff to the mechanics of the game and shift our emphasis to story.

D&D is a shared language. The rules serve to make it easier to talk about the game and make stuff happen. They take abstract concepts and give them clear meaning. When we say "5th-level wizard," we know what you can do and how you do it. We know that because we play D&D. Someone who never played the game would be utterly lost.

A language works best when everyone who uses it can communicate efficiently. If I described my character as a "prime tier ensign," that doesn't mean anything to you. Could you guess what my character wears, what sort of weapon he might wield, and what special abilities he uses? Any answer you give is a pure guess.

For that reason, in building classes, character options, and everything else in the game, we need to stick to things that make sense and resonate with you. That's why we've adopted things like specialties and backgrounds as tools to organize game rules. Rapid Shot and Precise Shot are abstract things that aren't really clear. You can only understand them by knowing what they are. They don't stand on their own in a meaningful way. Describing your fighter as an archer, though, makes sense to anyone. Your character uses a bow. That's self-evident from the word archer. There are still details to study, but the general idea evokes a key fantasy archetype.

The trick is that the list of things that resonate is shorter than an unbound list. It's a challenge, but it's one worth tackling. Realistically, I'm willing to bet that most people didn't start playing D&D because they wanted to take Rapid Shot. You probably wanted to play an archer, or a sneaky thief, and so on. The most resonant elements arise from outside the game, in the myths and stories that we're all exposed to.

The other side to this coin is that with a much-reduced emphasis on turning out new rules mechanics, the material we make receives more playtesting, development, and care. If you want to make an archer option, it has to be a good option. You don't get a second chance at it.

So, that's the general philosophy on expanding the rules of the game.

Nagol

Unimportant
I think its more the splat treadmill that he's trying to reduce.

I suspect they'll have the rules modules because each module needs to be designed to adjust the game language to focus on different aspects of genre, tone, and function to achieve a desired game experience.

That would be my guess as well. The alternative is far, far, far too much of a bombshell for it to be released in such a "drive-by" fashion.

That being said, I've had a suspicion that since the beginning of this difficult (to say the least) endeavor there may come a time when the effort to synch the large number of 2nd and 3rd order interactions of each of the core elements plus modules becomes so unwieldy that they just throw up their hands at the futility of it...and market basically a tight, Moldvay Basic type core game with a few minor dials.

That would not surprise me if it happens, but I'm all but sure that this isn't it. Its too terse and vague. If I was a cynical internetian, I would almost say that Mearls is laughing right now. Either that or facepalming.

Jacob Marley

Adventurer
So the entire idea of having add on rules modules is now gone??? The best thing (IMO) announced about Next is now on the back burner? :-S

We don't know that. It could mean: the core rules themselves will be modular (e.g. the core rules may contain X number of options for healing, pick one). Or, it could mean: the modularity promised is being delivered in the previously announced basic/standard/advanced format. Or, it could mean: the feedback from the play test is showing a highly positive response and they are going to focus on maintaining those rules for the time being. Or, it could mean: they just want to slow the pace down similar to Paizo or TSR-era D&D (i.e. they might release only a handful of rules modules each year with a greater focus on adventures and settings).

JamesonCourage

Adventurer
These articles just aren't clearing anything up, on my end. I can only guess at what he means. It's like "Precise Shot", to use his example. Are there going to be less splats? Less rules modules? Less dials? More focus on "here's a new monster" rather than "here's how boats work"? I just don't know.

Edit: Apparently there's speculation that the article isn't complete, since it's dated for the 4th, and it's only the 1st. I hope that's the case, since that could mean I might know what he means.

Grimmjow

First Post
this does not mean that advanced rules and mods will become available. just means they want to put work into the story element as well

Nemesis Destiny

Adventurer
I hope it's not complete, because that entry is really vague about such an important-sounding topic. Taken at face value, it even further erodes any interest I have in the project, especially if they don't produce the things that will make me buy the game in their initial "batch."

I don't buy D&D for their campaign settings, I have one of my own, thanks. I'm not interested in their cosmology, by and large. I don't care about the fluff for its own sake. I want to buy options and rules - I can supply the rest.

I get that I am not "every gamer" but I am also not alone in my approach to the hobby. This, again taken at face value, would create such a huge divide in the community. It would be the last thing they should be doing under the pretense of "unity edition." There's more to this than we know at this point, I think...

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases