Game of Thrones, Season 3 extended trailer released

jonesy

A Wicked Kendragon
Looks better than the first one. I hope they stick closer to the book this year.
Closer than what? The list of differences between Season 1 and Book 1 is greater than the list of differences between Season 2 and Book 2. Not counting stuff that was straight up cut, because that is really hard to measure. :p

People just seem to be more forgiving to Season 1 for some reason when the truth is that the show started diverging right from the first scene. And I'm not complaining, just so it's clear.

NewJeffCT

First Post
Closer than what? The list of differences between Season 1 and Book 1 is greater than the list of differences between Season 2 and Book 2. Not counting stuff that was straight up cut, because that is really hard to measure. :p

People just seem to be more forgiving to Season 1 for some reason when the truth is that the show started diverging right from the first scene. And I'm not complaining, just so it's clear.

The first scene was a bit different, yes, but it was not a huge divergence - the arrogant young lordling led his patrol out past the wall and they encountered dead wildings and then the Other. It captured the feel of the book.

In season 2, they made Jon Snow out to be an incompetent boob, they had a whole storyline about Dany's dragons getting stolen, and then her being betrayed and also made major changes to Xaaro (he was white and gay in the book, and also didn't die - he shows up in book 5) and to the House of the Undying. Plus, they changed the whole Winterfell story by dropping Reek, and with Catelyn letting Jamie go before she found out about Bran & Rickon.

jonesy

A Wicked Kendragon
Yeah, but, that's all subjective to what is and what isn't capturing the feel of the books. I love the show, and I love the books, but the number of changes and cuts is huge:

http://gameofthrones.wikia.com/wiki/Differences_between_books_and_TV_series_-_Season_1
http://gameofthrones.wikia.com/wiki/Differences_between_books_and_TV_series_-_Season_2

idunno.gif

Zaukrie

New Publisher
Well, a book an a tv series are different, they should diverge. Stuff is going to ne different, I have decided to enjoy the show as a great show, and not worry about the differences, just like with Tolkiens works and those movies. But to each their own, I know it does bother some people.

NewJeffCT

First Post
Well, a book an a tv series are different, they should diverge. Stuff is going to ne different, I have decided to enjoy the show as a great show, and not worry about the differences, just like with Tolkiens works and those movies. But to each their own, I know it does bother some people.

I understand there will be changes from the books - however, I've read each of the books three times now, and I think the changes in season 1 were more to condense it for TV. The only big change I recall to the characters themselves was Drogo being more gentle on his wedding night to Dany in the books. I don't remember wholesale changes to major plotlines and characters (Jon Snow, Theon/Winterfell, Catelyn, Brienne).

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases