(Suspended) OOC 3.5 Eberron Shipwrecked Campaign

airwalkrr

Adventurer
May 27th, 2013: I have decided to suspend this campaign due to RL demands.

Edit (April 16th Recruiting Notes): I may have lost two players so I am opening up recruiting again. I am looking for up to six players. I have five who are presently active so I will potentially take one more on a first-come, first-served basis. I will accept alternates as well. Inactive players are welcome to return, even if I already have acquired a replacement. All pertinent information for joining the campaign is in the first post (you don't need to read the whole thread).

My last attempt at an Eberron campaign met with mixed results. I think I tried to be a bit too complicated with my storyline. So I wanted to try something a little simpler. It is inspired by the introductory storyline for Dungeons & Dragons Online. The campaign would be pretty simple and straightforward. Your characters are shipwrecked on an island while en route to the city of Stormreach on the jungle continent of Xen'Drik. Your characters' reasons for going to Xen'Drik would be your own (e.g. running off to look for adventure, trying to flee criminal charges, whatever you want); background wouldn't be terribly important, just a means to guide roleplaying. Upon washing ashore, you find yourself with few provisions and equipment and must find a way to survive the harsh environs and locate the nearest settlement.

Rules would be simple. You could use the three core rulebooks for 3.5 plus the Eberron Campaign Setting, 28 point buy, and no starting equipment (you are being washed up on shore in nothing but ragged clothes so everything you get will have to be scavenged or found as treasure, at least at the beginning). Most of the campaign would end up taking place in Stormreach, a veritable Tortuga in the world of Eberron, a pirate city built upon ancient giant ruins where only the strong survive. The campaign would feature a mix of wilderness exploration, dungeon crawl, and roleplay in a pirate-themed setting. I'd be looking for up to six players.

Anyone interested?

Edit: Point of clarification, everyone will need to have their characters traveling on the same ship (or at least in the same fleet at the same time), a House Lyrandar galleon for example (airships very rarely travel to Xen'Drik and are usually restricted to travel over land in Khorvaire), although you need not know each other in advance. So once we have a critical mass of players, you will need to decide on what type of ship. A merchant vessel traveling to do trade with Stormreach? A passenger vessel traveling along Khorvaire's shores blown off course? A slave ship taking slaves to be sold in Stormreach? (Slavery is illegal in most parts of Khorvaire.) Up to you guys, but this is something you will need to work out before you devote your energies to character background.

Edit 2: I am starting to settle on character creation rules.

Ability Scores: 28 point buy (with possible bonus points for character backgrounds; I haven't decided)
Classes: core classes, artificer, psion, psychic warrior, soulknife, wilder (I may give all players bonus paragon levels; if so I will come up with paragon classes for Eberron races)
Races: core races, changeling, kalashtar, shifter, warforged
Feats: core feats, ECS feats, XPH feats
Equipment: none!
Spells/Powers: core spells, ECS spells, XPH powers

Edit 3: Character creation rules are finalized below. Please ask me in this thread if you have questions.

Ability Scores: 28 point buy (32 point buy with approved character background)
Classes: core classes, artificer, favored soul, knight, psion, psychic warrior, scout, soulknife, swashbuckler, warlock, wilder
Races: core races, changeling, kalashtar, shifter, warforged
Feats: core feats, ECS feats, XPH feats
Equipment: none!
Spells/Powers: core spells, ECS spells, XPH powers
Level: 4th-level; all characters begin at 1st-level in the class of player's choice, then add 3 racial paragon levels according to character's race (if more than one racial paragon class is available, e.g. half-elf, then all 3 paragon levels must be from one racial paragon class; see attached file for Eberron racial paragon classes; see Racial Paragon Classes for core races
Background: Your character was traveling aboard a ship which was wrecked at sea en route to Stormreach. Your character's background should reflect that, a purpose for traveling to Stormreach, preferably with the intent of it being a permanent relocation. A 32 point buy will be awarded to characters who submit an appropriate background. If you would like any background information on Eberron, the following links can be informative:
1. Wikipedia - Eberron.
2. Eberron Wiki.
(Thanks to doghead for providing these links.)

Select rules from Eberron source books may be allowed on a case-by-case basis. If you would like information on a particular subject, please contact me via PM and I can arrange to send you excerpts on topics of interest.

Edit 4: Current roster posted below.

Active Roster:
pathfinderq1: K’ihren Cloudwatcher, female shifter druid, Warden of the Wood, 32 point-buy
Graybeard: Duran Thorn, male human rogue, heir of Tharashk, 32 point-buy
Yttermayn: Yarvok, male human warlock, demon-touched vagabond on the lam, 32 point-buy
doghead: Rain, female elf sorcerer, she of dubious draconic patronage, 32 point-buy
Scott DeWar: Samon Hael Dern Ja' Korkea herransa Kaani, male dwarf ranger, enslaved offender of Darguun, 32 point-buy

Inactive Roster:
Lou: Ayais Paeir, male elf cleric, devout of the Undying Court, 32 point-buy pending
Red Knight: [name?], [sex?] shifter barbarian, [details?], 32 point-buy pending

Edit 5: Obsidian Portal site established. Click here.

Edit 6: Campaign start date will be on or after May 7th.

Attachments

• Eberron Paragon Classes.pdf
    297 KB · Views: 906
Last edited:

doghead

thotd
Yes. I am.

I even have a 26 pt Warforged currently wondering around Q'Barra without adult supervision. But he is level 4 and I suspect that you are looking to start at level 1. Still, if you are open to input on starting level, I vote 4 :)

thotd

Red Knight

First Post
You had me til I noticed 3.5. I know it's at the beginning of the post but I got excited since I'm playing the new Tomb Raider game and was thinking it would awesome to play a shipwreck themed Pathfinder game. But alas the only 3.5 books I own are my Eberron campaign books, a very pitiful stack of 4th Edition, and my PF books. I'll watch the game develop though and if you decide to switch to PF I would be interested, not asking you to. Good luck with recruiting and the game.

airwalkrr

Adventurer
[MENTION=8243]doghead[/MENTION], yes the campaign would begin at 1st level. But you could feel free to reincarnate your warforged character for this campaign, assuming you can come up with a good reason for him to go to Xen'Drik.

[MENTION=6705220]Red Knight[/MENTION], sorry, but PF just isn't my game. I play it but prefer to DM 3.5. That said, this will be a pretty vanilla 3.5 game; core rules plus ECS only. If you have ready Internet access all the rules are available (just like in PF) online at d20srd.org. I may make a small number of rules options available, but they would not be extensive and I would provide any additional rules ahead of time.

[MENTION=49929]Scott DeWar[/MENTION], any chance you might be interested?

airwalkrr

Adventurer
[MENTION=21705]Graybeard[/MENTION], would be glad to have you. This game will be simpler than my other Eberron game, but I am thinking of offering incentives for people who develop detailed backgrounds for their characters, such as a better point buy or maybe a bonus piece of starting equipment.

Let's see who is interested and develop the party from there.

Graybeard

Explorer
Detailed backgrounds are my specialty. I have been known to get carried away with writing when I am really inspired by a character I create.

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
@Scott DeWar , any chance you might be interested?

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

thotd
Tumbles off the deck and ont to the rough sandy shores by storm tossed waves

Land!!!

Oh, what do you mean the game hasn't started yet. oh yeah , need a character
@doghead na na na na boo boo!

I immediately thought of this background:
Samon Hael Dern Ja' Korkea herransa Kaani, roughly translates to Samon country walker, born of high lord's clan of the olde sprag tongue - he started in the weapon master's tutelage for repair, maintenance and crafting of proper weapons of war, moved on to the Kings border guard and given a writ of travel to wander the roads and lands of the dwarvin kingdom.

Neighboring to that kingdom were elves and humans, but there were always goblinoids lurking about. One such nuesense would be the hobgoblins of the Darguun Empire. It was this very populace that was attempting to test the defenses of the dwarves. Samon tracked these creatures about, even crossing into the human territory.

Our dwarvin hero was tracking some hobgoblins who murdered a girl they happened upon and kidnapped. Samon entered the camp to rescue the girl, killed a guard, while another guard killed the girl. He was over whelmed by several other hobgoblins while the leader killed the girl. The leader was crafty, turning him over to the local noble who wanted to just keep the peace. The father of the girl wanted justice, The lord wanted to keep peace with both dwarves and hobgoblins, so he sold Samon, and his belongings into slavery, and gave most of the money to the father. this was as close to acceptable to all except Samon who was out voiced by the lying hobgoblins.

.. .. .. ..

The ship broke at sea, he got his bonds vcut by a blade that slid to his feet, then he dived into the water to swim to safety (?)

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases