ZEITGEIST Tales of the RHC Irregulars [Zeitgeist spoilers through Always on Time]

Sbodd

First Post
Hello all! My first post here on ENWorld.

After hearing abundant praise heaped upon Zeitgeist, I decided to go ahead and run it for my group. We’re a fairly large group (8 PCs if everyone’s there) running the Pathfinder version. I figured I’d add my group’s exploits to the list of sessions reported here. We’re two sessions in so far, and my group is ready to storm the lighthouse at the beginning of the next go-round. Thus far, it's been excellent - I've gotten lots of positive feedback, and have really been enjoying running it. Looking forward to the Kickstarter rewards coming in so I can see part 2!

During character creation, I let the group have a pretty free hand as far as being recruited into the RHC - with the result that this is not, shall we say, a group composed of 'traditional' law enforcement agents. Our cast features (my descriptions):

Elhaiada, a High Elf Ki Mystic Monk with the Vekeshi Mystic background. An elderly high elven woman who, having reached the end of her childbearing years, entered into a Vekeshi monastery for training and to determine her next path in life. She has joined the RHC to act on behalf of her oppressed persons, no longer just her own people. A well-regarded field agent of the RHC, she recently suffered a debilitating injury that has resulted in her temporary reassignment to the Flint office.

Felix Lightgardner, a human Cleric (War/Healing domains) with the Yerasol Veteran background. Felix was a competent soldier - though he's a little slow upstairs. While on a campaign in Ber, he found himself dying on the battlefield, bearing a shield he'd scavenged from a fallen foe. He called out for aid, and some force he'd never felt before answered; the shield focused his call, and he felt his wounds closing. After that campaign, he left the army and joined the RHC.

Luthor, a human ranger (skirmisher) with the Gunsmith background. Luthor is a human mercenary, a hired warrior the RHC uses from time to time when they need some extra muscle.

Pearce Charles, a catfolk rogue with the Docker background. Pearce acts as the RHC's eyes and ears in the docks of Flint, and (mostly) keeps his avaricious tendencies in check while on official business. Mostly.

Tec, a human sorcerer (arcane bloodline) with the Eschatologist background. Tec doesn't have much of a backstory.

Hannah Jierre, a tiefling alchemist with the Technologist background. Hannah is a relation of the ruling family of Danor (Not yet precisely specified, but a nephew once removed or so from Han Jierre). Thrown out of her family and of Danor for her tendency to take things apart and "improve" them, as well as unfettered trickster streak, her prowess with alchemy and machines has made her a useful asset to the RHC - though she needs close monitoring, especially during fieldwork.

“Doc” Aloysius Brown, a dwarf alchemist with the Technologist background. Doc hails from the dwarven nations, and is the very essence of unrestrained Dwarfdom - loud, fond of booze, but handy with a hammer. If Hannah needs monitoring during fieldwork, Doc needs monitoring not in fieldwork - he's singlehandedly responsible for no less than three layers of safety protocols in the Flint office's underground labs.
Vallax, a tiefling kensai magus with the Spirit Medium background. Vallax is another Danoran exile; in his case, he was driven out of his village for his uncanny ability to speak with the dead (racial Soul Seer trait as well as the background feat). His exile, combined with the strain of seeing the dead all around him, has driven him more than slightly insane.

Leading up to the first session, one of my big concerns was scaling things - the initial skill challenge and the Coaltongue encounter both seemed like they’d get far easier with a party of 8. I’d considered some options, but wound up not needing them - my players wound up in both cases spending a lot of time on reasonable but unproductive tasks.

Highlights from the first session…

“Doc” Brown was ‘in the middle of an experiment’ when Delft came to shepherd the group down to the docks. It turns out the RHC installed an ‘alchemical suppression system’ in Brown’s lab - the dwarf was extra-grumpy after he and his lab equipment were doused in water.

I opted to bypass the “establish a profile” step in the initial skill challenge; I couldn’t come up with a good way to present that. I figured if one of the players suggested it, I’d give them a check for a bonus on the rest of the challenge, but it didn’t come up. Between some bad rolls and some time spent on non-productive actions (Doc climbed up on a box and failed miserably to intimidate the entire crowd; Hannah spent her time mostly running around doing perimeter checks on the bridge, boats, etc.), the party only barely caught Dafton as the crowd was entering the bridge area. Pearce (the group’s Docker) did some good RP to talk him down without a fight.

The Coaltongue encounter worked out pretty well, though there were a few items I goofed up on while running it (and I was also having difficulty tracking initiative - I kept accidentally skipping people. Not sure what was up with that). I’d decided to give Sokana some minor boosts and add a third engineer beforehand, but backed out the third engineer and some of Sokana’s buffs as events played out.

The group didn’t do much during the shipboard downtime; I had the crew set up a separate table for them on the aft deck (Delft wasn’t about to let Doc or Hannah spend too much time unsupervised in conversation with anyone of import) during the meal. As they finished eating, a couple of them suddenly went “wait, where’s the duchess?!” and ran off right before I was about to have Delft come ask them that same question. Split the party? Check!

My belowdecks group had the encounter play out basically as described - Sokana stalled for time while the duchess finished her ritual and cast water breathing. When Pearce picked the lock and opened the door, the duchess dove out the rear window, and Sokana hit him with burning hands. She won initiative, and went invisible before climbing out the rear window and down one deck. Pearce followed her while the other two climbed down the ladder to the next deck.

Abovedecks, both alchemists heard the duchess dive into the water; when they raced to the rear rail, they spotted her and promptly dove in after her. Luthor grabbed two of the crew and deployed a lifeboat while Felix checked in with Delft and then lowered a rope off the stern. The swimmers got an up-close view of the Kraken as the duchess fled before working their way to the lifeboat and then up the rope and into the boat. This group joined the fray after a few rounds - I accelerated their return to avoid having the players idling for the rest of the encounter.

Belowdecks, there was a surprisingly long-lasting fight in front of the boiler; Sokana managed to throw her gem into the fireplace, Pearce got knocked out by the wrench-wielding mechanics, Vallax yanked the gem back out of the fire. Once their foes were subdued, Tec raced up to get help while the party tried to deal with the reactor. Tiefling fire resistance helped a lot here, though I was accidentally nerfing this - I was only dealing damage for actually reaching into the furnace. Tec returned with the engineer Geoff, who told him to warn Minister Lee that they may have to evacuate, but not to disturb anything yet. The two alchemists tried to deal with one valve while Pearce and Felix went after the other one; the alchemists were able to blow theirs open, while Pearce used his own blood to lubricate the stuck valve as Felix forced it open. When Felix succeeded, the resulting steam blast knocked Pearce out for the third time in the session, but the ship was safe. The counter never got below 10 rounds with all the PCs helping.
(I misplayed this part quite a bit - I should’ve had Tec instructed to tell the nobility to evacuate. Instead, I had him just warn Lee, who told him to break the teleportation ward on deck but that was it. Ah well.)

Session Two: Three Towers.

At the beginning of the session, Pearce declared that he was strapping the rust monster antennae from the first session to his hands. This would become relevant later.

I went ahead and actually made props for Lya’s riddle. The group hit on the three-dimensional answer pretty quickly, which I expected. Hannah was (to me) surprisingly friendly towards Lya; I had her react somewhat coolly. The players, of course, immediately discerned that their roles as backups to the main infiltrators wasn’t likely to last, but they did a good-enough job of hiding it in-character.

Actually got a brief conversation out of the philosophical dinner, which was a pleasant surprise.

The party didn't interact much with the NPC infiltrators - Tec noticed the illusionist slipping out of the briefing (“that’s a neat trick, I’ll have to remember that!”). When the rockfall triggered, the party descended en masse; while Felix and a couple of others tried to figure out how to move the boulders, Vallax simply drew a blade and hacked off the goblin’s pinned leg. This prompted retributive violence from Elhaida and Pearce, knocking the tiefling out cold. They returned to the boat, where the goblin related what happened. The party took the time to excavate the other members of the team (since Vallax, with some persuasion, used his life-sense ability to detect the other infiltrators, and picked up on one still-living creature; the druid’s hound was still alive.) This led to some awkward DM moments (‘no, you can’t loot your dead co-worker’s bodies! Well, okay, you can have extras of the mission-critical items - two more Pyrotechnics scrolls and one more Passwall.’).

In the mine, I gave them two rounds before the miner started shooting - during which time they mostly clustered on the near set of platforms. When the miner attacked, he promptly rolled a nat-1 on his gunshot - misfire! I’d added a second earth elemental to up the difficulty a bit, and while they both missed, 1d6 splash damage is still pretty rough on a 1st-level party. Vallax tried to talk him down, but was out of sight; the combat continued for two more rounds before the miner spotted the tiefling Vallax, which made their claims of not being with the invaders much more credible, at which point they stood down. (Hannah, meanwhile, had been distracted by the air medallion and spent the whole combat getting to it and studying it.) There was a good bit of conversation with the miner, during which the PCs got most of the relevant information (iron spikes help block the planar incursions, medallions grant control of elementals and have other powers, easy way to the fort). The party tried to talk the miner out of his two medallions, but with no success.

As they were leaving the mine, Pearce attempted to sleight-of-hand off one of the miner’s medallions. Having completely forgotten about the rust monster antennae. He badly botched the roll, letting the miner know exactly what happened, and why he could no longer see in the dark. The miner got very angry, and his pistol and the two earth elementals sent the PCs running for the hills.

After the planar incursion on the road, the elven monk decided that, if iron blocked this effect, she could prevent further issues by tying shuriken to her sandals such that the points dug into the earth with every step. The rest of the party thought this was a brilliant idea and followed suit. The patrol and golem the party both bypassed (hid from the patrol, fled at the first sound of the golem without ever seeing it). The trap was comedic - Tec had nothing iron on him, so asked if the scattered weapons included any small metal blades, and promptly went to pick one up. The trap rolled a nat 1 on its attack roll, so while puffs of ice appeared all around him, he was completely unharmed.

Their infiltration of the city was fairly uneventful, though they failed a lot of stealth checks - the fortress is now on high alert. They went around the heavily-guarded building (the teleportation circle) rather than investigating it. They’re now at the base of the sea wall, poised to head down it and try to take the lighthouse.

Last edited:

Ajar

Explorer
I've read some of your story already on Ars, but the rust monster bit was just as hilarious the second time around. :D

Sbodd

First Post
So, we had our third session on Friday, which was entirely spent around, and in, the lighthouse.

In my planning, I’d settled on bumping the lighthouse encounter difficulty (to account for my large group of PCs - I had 7 this session; Luthor’s player couldn’t make it) by:
-Adding a 2nd soldier inside the lighthouse, and another one on the boat
-Bumping the druid to 2nd level
-Bumping the fighter to 2nd level
-Adding a 1st-level fighter to the group on the boat and the guards standing watch on the wall

At the end of the previous session, they’d successfully snuck through the fort to the base of the seawall, but failed enough stealth checks that the fortress was almost on high alert. And then….

My party decided to open up their assault by using two of their pyrotechnics scrolls (they had spares of the mission-critical items that had been given to the original infiltrators) to simulate an explosion on a boat right by their target. Which wasn't necessarily a bad plan, except for:
-The druid nailing his spellcraft check and knowing exactly what happened
-Every single guard made his or her saving throw to avoid blindness from pyrotechnics
-The party rushed to "help" with the boat that was “on fire”, but the rogue rolled merely average on his bluff check - and the guard captain got a nat-20 on sense motive.
-The seeming explosion in the harbor naturally drew the attention of another squad of guards, who showed up 3 rounds into the fight.

In hindsight, I probably should’ve let the party have more success with their “sow confusion” approach, especially given that I added the second wave of guards - I feel like I quashed the player’s attempt at creating a diversion a little too heavily.

As it was, the encounter was very nearly a wipe - at multiple points, four of the 7 PCs in the session were down. It probably would have been a total wipe, had my dice been rolling a little better - twice I threw 3 natural 1s on a set of 4d20, and there were plenty of other bad rolls mixed in. I did fudge one crit roll that could’ve outright killed a PC.

The party was also helped because one of their number can get to AC 22, at first level - Vallax, the Kensai Magus, has something like +3 dex, +2 int (Canny Dodge), Shield, bracers of armor +1, and 2 points of natural armor from Tiefling alternate racial traits.

Hilarious moment of the evening goes to Pearce, the rogue. Mid-fight, he slips over the edge of the seawall they're fighting on and climbs to the tower unseen. He uses a scroll of silence on himself, sneaks over to the gate control and activates it. The noise of the gate (not the mechanism, but the gate itself - not affected by silence) draws the attention of the wizard guarding the tower, who moves to block the door and readies an action to cast shocking grasp (the wizard doesn't know about the silence spell). Pearce closes with the wizard, whose readied action obviously fails. The wizard turns and runs to the top of the lighthouse, then jumps over the side - ready to cast feather fall once he's out of reach. I was not expecting Pearce to jump after him - it was 90 feet to the water below. But he did, meaning the wizard was once again silenced and fell to his death. (Pearce, being catfolk, has a racial trait that reduces falling damage to the minimum amount possible - so he took 7 from the fall instead of 7d6, and survived - barely.)

The defend-the-lighthouse minigame went well - it took me a couple of tries to explain what was going on, but once they figured it out my players really took to it. Pearce used his other rusting antenna to take out the sea gate mechanism (unnecessarily, as it turns out), and Felix came up with the idea of dropping the lighthouse’s light on the attackers (though as the players described it, it was less “boiling oil” and more “dropping the entire light fixture and mount”). Pearce again came up with the best “effective tactic” for the “battle” action - his flavor for his attack was to climb to the top of the lighthouse, tie a rope around himself, move off to one side, and swing down towards the attacking soldiers, clawing at them from above before letting his momentum carry him around the tower. That one was good for taking out two hostiles. In the end, they held off the whole assault without too much difficulty; the second wave drove them back into the lighthouse, and the third wave had been reduced to 8 attackers before the cavalry sailed in at the end of round 10, but most of the damage the attackers inflicted was absorbed by temporary hitpoints from the aid potions. I do think they’re completely out of healing (and spells, bombs, and extracts) at this point though.

Out of curiosity (not that it really matters now) - from the way I read the rules, “build a single point of barricade inside the lighthouse, and re-build it each turn” seems like it’d be an auto-win solution (my players did this each of the last three rounds - one of them barricaded, the rest attacked). All the PCs stay in the lighthouse, and if none of them attacked, they wouldn’t be vulnerable to attacks from outside; and as I read the module, a single point of barricade prevents any number of hostiles from advancing. Was that the intended reading, or was there something I missed that would let a group of (say) six hostiles start outside the lighthouse, three of them take down a barricade and the other three move inside (and possibly engage in melee) on the same turn?

I’m looking forward to the next session - lots of good stuff in Act 3.

One thing that’s not clear to me is the timeline of Asrabey’s actions vs the PCs. As I read the module, the expected timeline is something like:
~15 minutes after fleet enters - Risuri forces have taken the outer wall
~20 minutes after fleet enters - Asrabey emerges from hiding, vaults the outer wall
1 hour after fleet enters - Messenger arrives, PCs head to brig
~75 minutes after fleet enters - Asrabey uses the immurement
~76-85 minutes after fleet enters - PCs enter observatory
So - what is Asrabey doing during that hour between vaulting the outer wall and using the immurement? My best guess is “disabling the wards on the teleportation circle”.

I’ll definitely be using the “Allied Soldier” abilities rather than giving the party actual minions - 16 PC minis would just be ridiculous. I’ve actually made up little ability cards with names for each soldier on them that I’ll be passing out - my first set were just printouts, but I may try and do something nicer (two-sided cardstock) since I have two more weeks.

Trying to decide what to do with Gillie Dhu - my current thinking is that (if they do enter the tower via the hedge maze) I’ll give him a couple of wimpy minions that can harass the PCs, since I expect him to be spending most of his time dealing with fires. I figure a pair of level 1 warrior-equivalents, flavored as satyrs or animated shrubbery, with Gillie’s ‘knock you through the hedge’ ability should be enough to make it interesting without really threatening the players. Also considering what to do with Asrabey, in case the players do pick a fight - I think the most likely answer is to bump him to 3 HP (so one point of splash doesn’t take him out, but any actual blow will, and the tiefling’s deathwatch will still show how close he is) and give him one more attack in his full-attack sequence as if he had a weapon of speed (bringing his offensive power up a bit to compensate for the extra PCs.)

It's been a while, but hm, it seems like a flaw in the design. Obviously the soldiers would probably be able to force the door open. I suppose there ought to be some sort of caveat like,

"Any soldiers who did not act on the previous round (such as if the force was stopped by a barricade, removed the barricade, but then could not attack any PCs) can act immediately to remove new barricades the PCs put up adjacent to them.

"So if 6 soldiers are stopped right outside the lighthouse by 1 piece, after they remove the barricade the other 5 soldiers will be ready to immediately undo up to 5 points of new barricade. Then at the start of their next turn, if there's still no barricade left, they'll force their way into the lighthouse."

Sbodd

First Post
Next session is tomorrow, looking forward to it!

Also (with apologies for being "that guy") - is there any chance I could get bumped up in the Kickstarter reward queue, or otherwise get access to part 2? I expect my party to finish part 1 tomorrow, which means I really need to start prepping for The Dying Skyseer (Pathfinder version). Thanks!

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Next session is tomorrow, looking forward to it!

Also (with apologies for being "that guy") - is there any chance I could get bumped up in the Kickstarter reward queue, or otherwise get access to part 2? I expect my party to finish part 1 tomorrow, which means I really need to start prepping for The Dying Skyseer (Pathfinder version). Thanks!

If you were in the silver reward tier, I just did all those this afternoon. Which tier were you in?

Sbodd

First Post
Had session #4 on Friday.

One of the PCs went looking for a box of cigars in the lighthouse before Captain Rutger showed up - so when he passed out his own cigars, that got a good chuckle from the table.

When Asrabey emerged from the boat, the PCs were all ready to go charging after him (though OOC there were reservations about being out of spells, etc) - Captain Rutger pointed out IC that they didn’t have a way to follow him over the wall yet. Pearce suggested using their remaining passwall scroll, but was voted down on that (I should’ve had the captain point out that it wouldn’t work due to the wards…but forgot about that.) Instead (at the Captain’s suggestion) they went down to investigate the ship he came out of. I put a badly-wounded survivor on the ship to provide most of the background info. Pearce wanted to spend more time checking out the boat, so he used his passwall scroll to scuttle it, preventing the fire from consuming the vessel entirely. Between having a Vekeshi in the party and a bunch of knowledge checks, they were able to come up with Asrabey’s name. (Elhaida, the PC Vekeshi, was expressing deep concern at Asrabey’s motivations - saying this was not in line with the Order’s teachings.) Once they finished with that, a messenger came and brought word about the Danoran prisoners; the PCs asked for any help before they entered the battlefield, and I gave them cards with the “allied soldier” abilities on it.

The PCs gave the Danoran lieutenant what he wanted (weapons and permission to fight) without pissing him off first, and so got both the sewer route and the roof key from the prisoners. (At first they were very suspicious of the sewer route, because I had the prisoner ask the lieutenant via hand signal if he should tell them about it first). Hannah Jierre was very sad that her cousin wasn’t here. When Asrabey made his second appearance, one of the PCs took a potshot with a crossbow; they initially started running after him, until I mentioned the hedges surrounding the tower at which point they stopped and took the sewer route. No Gillie Dhu encounter for them!

I’d settled on boosting Asrabey to 3 HP, but otherwise running the encounter as presented in the module.

I started reading out the conversation when the PCs reached the tower basement; Elhaida had taken the lead, and kept the party silent outside the observatory door until just before Nathan interrupts to ask about the name Varal. The party burst through the door, I had Asrabey grab Nathan and make his demands for the ship; the PCs agreed almost immediately (the Duchess was secure and Asrabey said he’d release her, after all), and they headed out into the town, Asrabey keeping his sword at Nathan’s neck. (In hindsight, I failed to describe the extent of Asrabey’s wounds well enough. Vallax never even checked his racial deathwatch ability.)

When Asrabey made his break, he grabbed Nathan and leapt clear of the party. Vallax had his escort use his acid flash (missed the touch attack by 1, so Asrabey only took the splash damage). Hannah and Vallax gave pursuit, but the rest of the party stayed with the Duchess initially. (Felix made a couple of Diplomacy checks to try and keep their allied soldiers’ morale up - and nat-1’d twice. He broke them and they ran off. Skills don’t critically fail, unless it’s funny and/or awesome.) Asrabey clubbed Vallax into submission and kept running, Hannah pursuing; once they got out of view, the rest of the party followed. Hannah chased Asrabey into the warehouse, at which point he knocked her out and began his ritual. Tec and Doc ran in; Tec used his silence scroll to interrupt the ritual, prompting Asrabey to knock him out. Doc left, but used his technologist companion to deliver another acid flask (also whiffing on the touch attack - 1 more point of splash, leaving Asrabey with only 1 hp left). The silence only lasted a few rounds, and Asrabey resumed his ritual. At this point, the rest of the party just delayed until the ritual finished, and Asrabey escaped with Nathan. The party then handed the Duchess over to Captain Rutger, collapsed in a heap for some rest, and then searched the tower, finding most of the listed information there.
(I forgot to have Asrabey leave his note, or attempt to kill the Duchess as he fled, but the PCs got the relevant information from their eavesdropping.)

When Lya showed up, they completed the handover without incident; she was somewhat upset that they allowed Nathan to be taken. Her final comment about her impending marriage to the King prompted a great deal of shock from Vallax, but the rest of the party didn’t seem terribly phased.

It was a short session overall, but generally went well; there was some good IC conversation from most of the PCs at one point or other.

A set of related questions: does Nathan ever show up again? Hannah’s going to be fixated on rescuing her cousin, if she can - is there a good point at which he can be brought back in? (Since it seems relevant - does Asrabey manage to find Kasvarina, and if so, when?)

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases