PATHFINDER: Reign of Winter 4th Edition Conversion

Myrhdraak

Explorer
People of the North: Healing Rituals
have now added rituals that help characters to regain their hit points faster [Page 40-42]. It introduces the classical cure and restoration spells into the game. What do you think, will it work and be used or is it priced to high?

As I am only copying the necessary game elements that should be used in the 4th Edition game, I have taken away all the great context, information, and stories which creates the magic of the Paizo product. I therefore strongly advise you to purchase the Paizo products this conversion have been built upon, to run the Reign of Winter campaign. I did!
You can buy them from www.paizo.com online store.

1. People of the North
2. The Snows of Summer (Path #67)

/Myrhdraak

Also read my: H1-E3: Demon Prince of Undeath Conversion

Myrhdraak

Explorer
Scroll of Animate Dead
I have been working on adding treasure to the adventure. I have come to H16 where there were some scrolls of animate dead. There is no similar spell in 4th Edition, but I felt it was quite tied to the story, so I wanted to add it. The closest I could find was the summoning rules, so I tried to build on them, as well as doing some calculations to see if the ritual became too over-powered. What do you think? [Page 55]

As I am only copying the necessary game elements that should be used in the 4th Edition game, I have taken away all the great context, information, and stories which creates the magic of the Paizo product. I therefore strongly advise you to purchase the Paizo products this conversion have been built upon, to run the Reign of Winter campaign. I did!

1. People of the North

/Myrhdraak

Myrhdraak

Explorer
@Myrhdraak Great conversion! :) I like your layout too, do you use Adobe InDesign?

Thanks. However, the layout is a little messed up now, as I am adding the treasure parts in the beginning of the coversion, which leads to problems later in the conversion. The reason for this is that I am using just standard Microsoft Word.

Myrhdraak

Explorer
Treasures and Battle Features up to P5
Adding some more features for the battles up to P5 as well as treasures. One reflection (which I think I read about when 4th Edition was launched), is that there is more magic items and less consumables in 4th Edition. I guess the desing thinking is that the characters powers should be in focus and not the magic items and potions. But I decided to try to stick to a straight conversion of the Pathfinder adventure, so it will be more "one-shot-magic" than what you normally find in 4th Edition adventures, which means I have converted them to 4th Edition in the magic section. You will also find some updates on healing potions in the People of the North conversion.

1. People of the North

/Myrhdraak

Pour

First Post
I also want to chime in here and just thank you for an excellent conversion thus far. The quality is really top notch. It's convinced me to purchase a Paizo AP product, my first. Have you ever considered creating your own content/modules?

Myrhdraak

Explorer
I also want to chime in here and just thank you for an excellent conversion thus far. The quality is really top notch. It's convinced me to purchase a Paizo AP product, my first. Have you ever considered creating your own content/modules?

Well, I guess that was always a childhood dream, but I guess it is first now by doing these kind of conversions, I have been forced to look at all the aspects of the game. So, yes I might. I am still polishing my art side though. It would be great to do some illustrations myself as well. So that is also on my to do list, but with two children and a full-time job, there is a limit on the free time I have for such activities.

Myrhdraak

Explorer
Snows of Summer: Battle Maps
As many of the encounters take place along the road with various degree of snow, I have created three versions of the same battle map to be used for these encounter, with increasing level of snow [Page 72-74].

1. People of the North

/Myrhdraak

Myrhdraak

Explorer
Treasures and Battle Features up to Q7
Have continued adding feature descriptions for the battles as well as treasures up to Q7 in the Pale Tower. I also made a modified version of the Tavern from Game Master Map Pack: Village. So if you are using miniatures that is the one for you. I have also created some DM Advice into how to combine the encounters in the Pale Tower in order to make it challenging for a 4th Edition party.

1. People of the North

/Myrhdraak

Myrhdraak

Explorer
Problems at the End
Doing the treasure conversion I noticed that the adventure path lacked more tangible magical weapons and armor, as it was also very low on total value. So during my conversion I added items in order to follow the 4th Edition guidelines for treasure distribution during each levels. Everything was working fine until I got to the end of the adventure. It seems the original designers put all the treasure in a big heap at the end.

So my question to you out there. Is that good design? Will adventurers in the 4th Edition version, be happy to wait to get their serious loot until they gain 5th level? Or should I reduce the value of the end heap and distribute it more evenly during the five levels?

1. People of the North

/Myrhdraak

Remove ads