PATHFINDER: Reign of Winter 4th Edition Conversion

Myrhdraak

Explorer
The Snows of Summer Finished!!!!
That was about it. Managed to get most of the treasure in by doing some tweaking. The conversion is finished. So the big question is - will this adventure play as well in 4th Edition as it does in 3.5 Edition?

Doing the conversion you realize that some of the "fluff" of 3.5, but also the Pathfinder adventures have gone missing in 4th Edition.
1. All the kind of consumables are gone in 4th Edition, which allowed you in 3.5 Edition to have a limited number of minor powers.
2. The rationale and motivation behind main characters actions was never much described in 4th Edition adventures from WotC, making adventures more shallowed.
3. The monster descriptions lacked depth in 4th Edition, in exchange for a wider variety of the same monster (allowing you to build more interesting battles, but yet again, making mosters more shallow)
4. The creation of undead, objects, plants, etc. was never translated to 4th Edition, probably due to its risk of unbalancing certain characters vs. others. However, this was also some of the charm of 3.5 edition. Some game method for it was needed in 4th Edition
5. Roleplaying like spells was never translated to rituals in 4th Edition, such as charm person, suggestion, etc. which are just as important outside of battle as in the battle (where it had an equivalent of course). This probably restricted players to have more indepth roleplaying encounters or options (rather than battle).
6. The crafting and creation of things in 3.5 edition (even though seldom used), was well described in 3.5 edition and have maybe been over-simplified in 4th Edition. Yet again reducing depth.

So my question to you out there. Is that good design? Will adventurers in the 4th Edition version, be happy to wait to get their serious loot until they gain 5th level? Or should I reduce the value of the end heap and distribute it more evenly during the five levels?

As I am only copying the necessary game elements that should be used in the 4th Edition game, I have taken away all the great context, information, and stories which creates the magic of the Paizo product. I therefore strongly advise you to purchase the Paizo products this conversion have been built upon, to run the Reign of Winter campaign. I did!
You can buy them from www.paizo.com online store.

1. People of the North
2. The Snows of Summer (Path #67)

/Myrhdraak

Also read my: H1-E3: Demon Prince of Undeath Conversion

Myrhdraak

Explorer
Excellent work! So when can we expect "The Shackled Hut"? :cool:
Well, it is very dependent on interest. It does not seem to be that many people following the thread (25-28 people is my estimate). So maybe most people are going over to D&D Next or Pathfinder, rather than working on evolving and improving 4th Edition.

Pour

First Post
Well, it is very dependent on interest. It does not seem to be that many people following the thread (25-28 people is my estimate). So maybe most people are going over to D&D Next or Pathfinder, rather than working on evolving and improving 4th Edition.

Sorry to hear. Well, I've certainly appreciated your efforts! If anything gets off the ground with Fourth Party, I'd certainly like to invite you to help us make a 4e fan product worth evolving and improving and, of course, playing hehe.

maybe it's just that your conversion work is great and people don't have that many comments? With Reign of Winter, you're not making alterations to the plot, lke you did with your Orcus conversion, so that might also be it. BTW, I'm thrilled to see you're doing E2 and E3 now :)

I think there's a big difference in being interested in a fan conversion of a PF adventure path, and being interested in evolving and improving 4E. I think a 'real 4.5' edition would have been the best thing that could have happended for 4E. Instead we're getting Next, which seem all about not being the next thing, but the opposite :(

I just wish I had your layout and mapping skills. I'd love to provide material like that you're providing. Great stuff.

Myrhdraak

Explorer
THE SHACKLED HUT
I have started on the conversion of the Shackled Hut. Looks promising and will take characters between mid 5th Level to 10th level at its end.

As I am only copying the necessary game elements that should be used in the 4th Edition game, I have taken away all the great context, information, and stories which creates the magic of the Paizo product. I therefore strongly advise you to purchase the Paizo products this conversion have been built upon, to run the Reign of Winter campaign. I did!

1. People of the North
3. The Shackled Hut (Path #68)

/Myrhdraak

Myrhdraak

Explorer
THE SHACKLED HUT: Gremlin's Curse
I have added my fist encounter new encounter to the Shackled Hut conversion [Page 5-6]. Doing it I also hade to create the bestow curse ritual [Page 7-8], as well as add the Jinkin monster to the bestiary [PAge 9-10].

1. People of the North

/Myrhdraak

Myrhdraak

Explorer
THE SHACKLED HUT: Event 3 and 4
I have done some more conversions during the Midsummer festivals here in Sweden. Event 3 and 4 has been converter [Page 6-8]. Not really happy with the Rimepelt yet [Page 10], and I also added a ritual for Putrefy Food and Water for the Gremlin encounter [Page 12].

1. People of the North

/Myrhdraak

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases