Great movies you might not have heard of.

Herschel

Adventurer
Still Crazy - A former 70's rock group who broke up hating eachother try to get back together and ride the reunion train to actually make a living again. Bill Nighy, Timothy Spall, Stehen Rea and Juliet Aubrey rock.

sabrinathecat

Explorer
I would love to have Harrison Bergeron official factory release DVD. I would buy it. Some gut was auctioning bootlegs on eBay a few years back--mediocre copies from a VHS transfer. I bought one. Why? Because there was no official version to buy. (If anyone from HBO is reading this, that would be a hint: Release a factory official version!!! There is demand)
There was also a TV series called "Total Recal 2070". Only the pilot was ever released on DVD. Pity, because it really was an interesting series. Heck, even the pilot was good. More Blade Runner than Total Recall, but a lot of PKD inspired ideas.
Speaking of which, is "Imposter" obscure? I'd never heard of it until it popped on on Netflix, but it did have a theatrical release some time before 9/11. And while one of the twists was painfully obvious within 15 minutes or so, there were more that were not, which more than made up for the first one.

Wow, now people are digging up classics.
If you want to check that road, "What Ever Happened to Baby Jane" is a great. Follow that up with "Hush, Hush, Sweet Charlotte", a twisted movie for Betty Davis. "DeathTrap" has more twists and turns than a snake on LSD.

Last edited:

Abraxas

Explorer
I've seen quite a few movies that have been suggested - and the ones I haven't seen I'll have to check out.
Also, the original Lathe of Heaven was much better than the remake & Nate and Hayes is one of my all time favorite movies.

A few I think are great and relatively unknown are

1) Four Rooms - a quirky comedy that entertains me to no end
2) The Blood of Heroes - post apocalyptic football
3) Near Dark - Southern Vampires with out the soap opera trappings that are popular now and a Tangerine Dream Soundtrack
4) Let It Ride - Richard Dreyfuss as a guy having an incredibly lucky day betting on horse races

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
Shall We Dance? (1996) Shall we dansu? (original title) A successful but unhappy Japanese accountant finds the missing passion in his life when he begins to secretly take ballroom dance lessons. It inspired an Australian story about two young dancers who challenge the ballroom scene. It's quite quirky and has been remade (several times) into US versions that don't have the same level of comedy. Can't find the name of that one.

Um, Strictly Ballroom (australian movie about two young dances that challenge the ballroom scene) was from 1992!

However, I really enjoy the 2004 remake starring Richard Gere and Jennifer Lopez under exactly the same name.

Cheers

sabrinathecat

Explorer
Remembered a couple more today.

Vibes: an attempt to give Cindy Lauper (remember her, kids? She was big--well kinda--back in the 80s) an acting career by pairing her up with Jeff Goldbloom. Silly cheeze, but fun.

Unforgettable: believe it or not, I have a hard time remembering the title. No, really. Still a good movie.

DOA: one of the rare cases when the remake was better than the original.

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
Remake? What movie are you referring to there?

got to say, D.O.A. 1950, remade in 1981 but confused with DOA: Dead or Alive

1950 - Small-town accountant Frank Bigelow goes to San Francisco for a week's fun prior to settling down with fiancée Paula. After a night on the town, he wakes up with more than just a hangover; doctors tell him he's been given a "luminous toxin" with no antidote and has, at most, a week to live! Not knowing who did it or why, Bigelow embarks on a frantic odyssey to find his own murderer.

1981 - Dexter Cornell, an English Professor becomes embroiled in a series of murders involving people around him. Dexter has good reason to want to find the murderer but hasn't much time. He finds help and comfort from one of his student, Sydney Fuller.

DOA: Dead or Alive - video game movie

Remove ads