Too many Kickstarters?!?!?!

MrHemlocks

Banned
Banned
OMG...it seems everyone, and their mother, is having a Kickstarter now days. I for one feel it is getting way over done. Anyone else feel the same way? My friends do not even bother with kickstarter anymore. Guess they are tired of constantly seeing it being pushed. I am not saying it is a bad thing but...:-S

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I think there are more threads complaining about the number of Kickstarters than there are Kickstarters.... :)

Not to repeat all those threads... oh, OK, I will anyway. Kickstarter is a current popular funding option, but try to ignore the funding source and realise what this means for us gamers. Just pay attention to the fact that there are HUNDREDS OF COOL NEW RPG PRODUCTS BEING ANNOUNCED ALL THE TIME! This is what we want, right? And Kickstarter is making that happen.

It's amazing, wonderful, and great for us. Don't worry about the funding source, any more than you'd have worried "Too many new games being financed by bank loans!" in the 1980s or "Too many new games being funded by credit cards!" in the 1990s. Otherwise you'll find yourself ignoring wonderful RPG content just because you're tired of the word "Kickstarter" and that sounds like a loss to me.

We're getting a new Torment game. We got a new EN World. We're getting a Pathfinder Freeport book. We're getting awesome dice. We got hundreds of dollars worth of miniatures for a steal, a new RPG from Monte Cook, a massive drow-based hardcover trilogy of adventures, a new Kobolds Ate My Baby!.

This is a good thing. I want those things!

Your mileage may vary, of course. But that's my two-cents.

Last edited:

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Just pay attention to the fact that there are HUNDREDS OF COOL NEW RPG PRODUCTS BEING ANNOUNCED ALL THE TIME! This is what we want, right?

Well, almost. We want lots of new products actually printed and getting into the hands of gamers, which is not quite the same as announcing them.

I see one major potential issue with Kickstarter funding, but it isn't related to the number of projects funded directly. I see a risk that we will take the pre-ordering aspect of Kickstarter too far, such that products get ordered through the Kickstarter, and then not properly marketed through other venues. If that happens, if you're not in on the initial Kickstarter, you may have to forget hearing about or finding the game elsewhere, and that's a problematic dynamic for the market.

Last edited:

darjr

I crit!
It's great for Kickstarter. And I think it's already happened in many cases. Look at the zombicide expansion. I think one of the reasons it went as big as it has is all the exclusive miniatures. In this case it IS the preorder system for those miniatures and you won't be able to get them anywhere else first hand, it'll be used and/or ebay or nothing.

But maybe this game is a bad example. It's so popular even outside of kickstarter that not all of it will be kickstarter only.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Well, almost. We want lots of new products actually printed and getting into the hands of gamers, which is not quite the same as announcing them.

I see one major potential issue with Kickstarter funding, but it isn't related to the number of projects funded directly. I see a risk that we will take the pre-ordering aspect of Kickstarter too far, such that products get ordered through the Kickstarter, and then not properly marketed through other venues. If that happens, if you're not in on the initial Kickstarter, you may have to forget hearing about or finding the game elsewhere, and that's a problematic dynamic for the market.

It has the potential to change the market, for sure. Like epublishing did, and 3d printing may do.

nedjer

Adventurer
Crowdfunding, 3D printing and their like present a choice between connecting up or letting other areas of gaming swallow them up and leaving RPGs in the slow lane. Kickstarter maybe isn't all good, as a lot of cash has gone into nostalgia projects. It should be interesting to see where it goes once almost every possible reprint has been done.

delericho

Legend
OMG...it seems everyone, and their mother, is having a Kickstarter now days. I for one feel it is getting way over done. Anyone else feel the same way?

Nope. 90% of everything is crap... but that means that the bigger "everything" gets, the more good stuff there is to choose from.

Crothian

First Post
I think we need more. There has only been a few that I've been interested in funding. I'd complain that there are actually too many Kickstarters that I don't care about. We need more good one and less bad ones. :D

ShinHakkaider

Adventurer
You know what's even more widespread than Kickstarters?

PEOPLE COMPLAINING ABOUT TOO MANY KICKSTARTERS.

I dont get it. If you dont want to support kickstarter? DONT SUPPORT KICKSTARTER.

"I'm not saying it's a bad thing"

But yet, here you are complaining about it.

Evenglare

Adventurer
I agree about too many kick starters. I'd kill for an option to block any and all topics with that word in it, as well as all the ads and everything. Sure there are a lot of topics about people hating it, but it doesn't compare to the sheer quantity of KICKSTARTER -EVERYWHERE- on almost every RPG site now. Sure there is more stuff to choose from now, but it's getting to the point where you have to wade through the worthless crap to get to the good stuff. And it's not just RPGs its video games, new electronics. God it's taking over and I would LOVE a way to filter all of it.

Remove ads