Pathfinder 1E Tome of Horrors 4

ggeilman

First Post
Never can have enough monsters that Scott has anything to do with! Presuming I have any money after all the kickstarters I will be ordering! If not I will get it later when I do. So have they made you a Frog yet?

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Thanks for the link reminder. The only issue with it anymore is that they are not for Pathfinder. Perhaps they could start doing Pathfinder conversions for it?

I know; hence why I said "those that are already under the OGL and were just overlooked."

For the Creature Catalog? For Pathfinder? That would be cool. :)

It's not 100% clear whether "overlooked" old monsters are covered by the OGL. A long time ago, WotC posted a letter (that I found here on EN World, I think), allowing adventure (and included monster) conversion under the d20 STL and OGL. It is true, however, that some old monsters have been converted since the end of the d20STL under the OGL (not for profit, to my knowledge).

The EN World Creature Catalog, at least as far as I understand, operates under a similar agreement to the one that let Necromancer Games produce the first ToH. We've assumed that that continues, and I assume Grazzt may know more about that. The active CC converters decided when Pathfinder was first announced not to convert critters to Pathfinder. It just seemed more considerate.

Nellisir

Hero
It's not 100% clear whether "overlooked" old monsters are covered by the OGL. A long time ago, WotC posted a letter (that I found here on EN World, I think), allowing adventure (and included monster) conversion under the d20 STL and OGL. It is true, however, that some old monsters have been converted since the end of the d20STL under the OGL (not for profit, to my knowledge).

The EN World Creature Catalog, at least as far as I understand, operates under a similar agreement to the one that let Necromancer Games produce the first ToH. We've assumed that that continues, and I assume Grazzt may know more about that. The active CC converters decided when Pathfinder was first announced not to convert critters to Pathfinder. It just seemed more considerate.

I was confused by this as well. Insofar as I knew/know, the only stuff WotC released under the OGL was the SRD, Unearthed Arcana, and the Modern stuff. Earlier editions never fell under the OGL, except ToH1 via special arrangement (which, if older monsters are under the OGL, would not have been necessary). So I'm not clear/wasn't clear how something could be simultaneously "under the OGL" and yet "not updated".

knottyprof

First Post
I was confused by this as well. Insofar as I knew/know, the only stuff WotC released under the OGL was the SRD, Unearthed Arcana, and the Modern stuff. Earlier editions never fell under the OGL, except ToH1 via special arrangement (which, if older monsters are under the OGL, would not have been necessary). So I'm not clear/wasn't clear how something could be simultaneously "under the OGL" and yet "not updated".

Did Pathfinder get the same deal then because it seemed to me that the Bestiary 2 and 3 had monsters that were included in the Tome of Horrors Complete (Pathfinder version)? Examples include the Atomie, Blindheim, and Caryatid Column. I believe some of the repeated monsters originally appeared in the Pathfinder Classic (Monsters) Revisited then were copied over into the Bestiaries but it still seems that Pathfinder took the liberty to create their own versions of these monsters that appeared prior to or in the 3rd WotC edition of D&D.

Nellisir

Hero
Did Pathfinder get the same deal then because it seemed to me that the Bestiary 2 and 3 had monsters that were included in the Tome of Horrors Complete (Pathfinder version)? Examples include the Atomie, Blindheim, and Caryatid Column. I believe some of the repeated monsters originally appeared in the Pathfinder Classic (Monsters) Revisited then were copied over into the Bestiaries but it still seems that Pathfinder took the liberty to create their own versions of these monsters that appeared prior to or in the 3rd WotC edition of D&D.

I don't have the PF Bestiaries, so I can't be sure and wouldn't want to speculate too much. I doubt Paizo made a special arrangement. They might have just gone ahead and done it, or they might have based their version off of the ToH versions.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases