Pathfinder 1E Online - [PF] Homebrew Steampunk Magitech Pathfinder Game - Open Player Slots!

Lokey

First Post
Disclaimer: Due to constraints of time unfortunately, and a hard drive crash I'm unable to put up all of the details I'd like for this campaign, but for now here's the Big 16, and a summary. Please note that the setting in which the campaign takes place is under development still, as well as many of the rules associated with it, and that they may be subject to change as the campaign continues, but for now...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The world of Golarion is no stranger to technologically advanced societies. Throughout its history, many a civilization has there been with architectures, designs, or constructs that rival, if not surpass altogether, the marvels of the modern world. Yet all of them have been snuffed out at the heights of their development and advancement. But what if in one reality, one history, some of the civilizations managed to avoid this fate?
"Aetate Rotundi" takes this notion and expands upon it, taking heroes from modern Golarion or other similar settings and thrusting them into a far flung future where magical technology has been allowed to evolve unhindered. A future where arcane ability is valued above all else, a future filled with airships, steam powered mechs with magical cores, Victorian dresses, and of course, the cruelty of the wizard ruled societies allowed to run unfettered...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

16 Commonly Asked Questions (Credits go to the Giantitp Forums)

The Big 16
1. What game system are you running (D&D, Call of Cthulu, Palladium, GURPS, etc.), and if applicable what edition (Original, Classic, Revised, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 10th, etc.)?

Pathfinder (with a good deal of experimental Homebrew)

2. What 'type' or variant of game will it be (i.e. "Shadow Chasers" or "Agents of Psi" for d20 Modern)? What is the setting for the game (eg. historic period, published or homebrewed campaign setting, alternate reality, modern world, etc.)?

Homebrewed alternate Universe Golarion with Steampunk/Magitech/Dystopian themes atop floating cities/islands.

3. How many Players are you looking for? Will you be taking alternates, and if so, how many?

1-3, probably two. Though I will happily take subs if their concepts prove interesting enough.

4. What's the gaming medium (OOTS, chat, e-mail etc.)?

Game will take place in an IRC chatroom, shurelilyD&D on SynIRC network. Feel free to drop in and direct questions to MajoBernkastel

5. What is the characters' starting status (i.e. experience level)?

Starting Level 7, 30 point buy OR (for people who love dice rolls that much), 4d6b3 7 times drop lowest reroll 1s. Two Traits. Depending on whether the character is a wayward hero from another dimension, or a native of the setting, they may receive a "local" Class Boon (powerful ones at that) or bonuses depending on their origins.

6. How much gold or other starting funds will the characters begin with?

ECL Wealth Level 5, mostly as I've yet to give much loot as raising funds is a primary motive at the moment.

7. Are there any particular character classes, professions, orders, etc. that you want... or do not want? What are your rules on 'prestige' and/or homebrewed classes?

No Master Summoners for game balance and fluidity purposes, or 3rd party material. Anything else on the D20PFsrd is fair game though.

8. What races, subraces, species, etc. are allowed for your game? Will you allow homebrewed races or species? 'Prestige' races or species?

All races in general are allowed, and if requested, I may or may not allow a manually created race via the race point system as denoted on the PFSRD. But no 3rd party races, and also note that there are setting specific "risks" that come with being overly exotic.

9. By what method should Players generate their attributes/ability scores and Hit Points?

See 5 for Char gen (30 point buy/4d6b3 7 times drop lowest reroll 1s), and max HP till 6. Average or higher (I.E 4 min on a d8) beyond that.

10. Does your game use alignment? What are your restrictions, if so?

Yes. And technically no, but do note there is a paladin in the party so please avoid Evil alignments if you can help it.

11. Do you allow multi-classing, or have any particular rules in regards to it?

Multiclass as you please, just no 3rd party thanks.

12. Will you be doing all of the die rolling during the course of the game? Will die rolls be altered, or left to the honor system? If players can make die rolls, which ones do they make, how should they make the rolls, and how should they report them?

There are 1-2 irc dicebots available in the channel, we'll be using them for the most part.

13. Are there any homebrewed or optional/variant rules that your Players should know about? If so, list and explain them, or provide relevant links to learn about these new rules.

...Uh, will fill this in later. But of immediate note are the following:

Depending on the character's origins, all characters will receive either a class boon, or massive bonuses as they level up.

If the character is a local, they may receive a class boon like the following:

Magus
~~~~~~~~~~~

The Wizard Court and Academy's disdain for martial professions and positions dates far back even into the early years of Ascalon (name pending), when the now mighty empire was naught by a community of reclusive scholars and arcane practitioners. "There is no need for civilized creatures to dedicate themselves to swinging a big pointy stick, when one can simply summon a mindless brute to swing a big pointy stick for them"; so the empire's first scholars were often quoted to say. However, as Ascalon grew in power, and the need for not only for a dedicated police force but a trained and disciplined military emerged, the earliest council was at a loss as to how best to implement such. While the greatest of wizards could raze armies to the ground singlehandedly, with most of their personalities being...conflict prone, or simply obscure (and of course, with few archmages wishing to take time away from their studies for trivial things such as "civil order"), the very notion of them policing themselves was...ludicrous, at best. Thus High Chancellor Vilvorious of Living Steel would propose the following: "The creation of an order of arcane casters, dedicated to the enforcement and upholding of basic arcane ethics and doctrine (later, the Five Tenets of Magic), the meting out of punishment to violators and those who would disrupt civil order or the pursuit of knowledge, and the eradication of Ascalon's enemies by both fire and trained steel." This order and its offshoots, although originally starting with more martial savvy and monstrous sorcerers and wizards, would eventually bring about the training of highly disciplined and talented arcane casters, skilled in both magic and blade, known as "Magi (or Maguses)", who serve in present day Ascalon as military, law enforcement, and so forth. While their magic eventually pales compared to those who dedicate their lives to the sole study or acquisition of magic, there are few arcane casters that can stand before the blades of trained Magi.

Class Boon:
Gain the Myrmidarch AND the Spellblade archetypes for free, WITHOUT losing anything in exchange. Upon reaching level 5, may cast Dispel Magic as a spell-like ability 1/day. When dispelling magic, gain a +2 to effective caster level.

Whereas wayward heroes gain variable, but generally bonuses equal in power if not greater than said class boons, in addition to setting specific immunities and benefits. Such as immunity to spell seals (will be explained in setting post once I get time to make it), bonus HP/feats/attribute points at specific levels, etc.

14. Is a character background required? If so, how big? Are you looking for anything in particular (i.e. the backgrounds all ending up with the characters in the same city)?

Character backgrounds are required, though perhaps not in full written form (though I would love that). Requirement is that the character either be a native of the alternate universe or a figure of high renown in another setting that ended up being thrown wayward in the multiverse through unfortunate circumstances and thus ended up in said alternate universe. Also plan for the character to feasibly be in the Lower City of Ascalon's Capital City (name pending), as that's where the party currently is, but that can be worked out after the above has been satisfied.

15. Does your game involve a lot of hack & slash, puzzle solving, roleplaying, or a combination of the above?

Primarily Hack and Slash and Roleplaying, with a smidgeon of puzzle solving on the side. While I understand why people might like the latter, there's little that's more frustrating than watching players flounder about for hours with puzzles to no avail as a DM.

16. Are your Players restricted to particular rulebooks and supplements, or will you be allowing access to non-standard material? What sources can Players use for their characters?

No 3rd party, Master Summoner, but everything else on the D20PFSRD is fair game.

Summary/Additional Info: Level 7, fairly high magic homebrew Pathfinder Game looking for two or more players to fill in vacancies in an ongoing IRC campaign. Requirement is that players are experienced with chat roleplay, and have an open mind. Preference towards players that are good at taking up the reins or taking initiative.

Oh and current party composition consists of an Aasimar Paladin/Oracle, a Magus, a Half Elf Bard/Pathfinder Chronicler, a pet Teteori Monk undead and Bones Oracle Ghost, and an Android Gunslinger (who unfortunately, due to work scheduling is only able to attend half of sessions). (Update: A Merciful Healer Cleric will also be joining the party shortly.)

Current Game time is 9:00 PM EST on Thursdays to however long the party feels like running (but we are a group that tends to run late, say till 2:00 AM EST usually).

More info to come, in addition to setting info/story so far as I get time!

Edit: Additionally for interested parties that would like more details before I formally get all of the fluff/lore up, I can be reached on Skype at Lokey57.

Remove ads