The Trefaldwyn Chronicle - Dark Ages Pathfinder OOC

Walking Dad

First Post
I was invited to my cousins marriage and will be away from Jul 28-30. I doubt I will have Internet access there, so excuse my absence from this board for the three days, please. Thanks.

doghead

thotd
Hello everyone.

I must say its good to see this game kicking on. And from what I saw in my brief trip through the IC thread, it looks like it is living up to its promise. I'll have proper read tonight.

I am hoping that there is still a chance to join in in some capacity or another. I have a PC somewhere I'm sure. But happy to consider other options.

Anyway, I'll drop back in when I have had a chance to read through the thread.

thotd

Dr Simon

Explorer
Hey doghead,

I'm sure we can fit you in somewhere. Maybe your character is based in Dinas Hydd rather than Dinas Derwen and so he's already here?

doghead

thotd
Hey doghead,

I'm sure we can fit you in somewhere. Maybe your character is based in Dinas Hydd rather than Dinas Derwen and so he's already here?

Cool. As for characters, I am pretty easy. I found the one I had created, but am happy to change if the party needs, or prefers, something else. Given that there is already a ranger, and a barbarian, perhaps another is a bit superfluous.

Alternatively, I would also be happy ghost-hacking a NPC. I have ghost hacked a number of abandoned PC's before, but never a NPC. It would be interesting.

thotd

Dr Simon

Explorer
Alternatively, I would also be happy ghost-hacking a NPC. I have ghost hacked a number of abandoned PC's before, but never a NPC. It would be interesting.

thotd

How about Brother Breandan? I can give you what notes I have on his background and what he knows, and you can take it from there.

doghead

thotd
How about Brother Breandan? I can give you what notes I have on his background and what he knows, and you can take it from there.

Sure. Thats sounds interesting. You can reach me via email at 'doghead206' then 'the little at thingy' then a dot then 'netscape.net' if that is easier.

thotd

Kaodi

Hero
On my character sheet I have Aklo, Common, and Giant listed as languages. I actually missed that Changelings also get their "host societies" language for free. Given the mythical-historical setting though, and the fact that Gwyneira keeps her spellbook disguised as a Bible, would those really have been the best choices though? What do you consider to be the actual languages of this setting? I am not sure I was thinking in these terms when we first made our characters, and given all the Latin I wonder if that would have been a far more logical choice than Giant at the very least. The other big question is whether Common and Welsh are considered different languages.

Dr Simon

Explorer
I did mean to post about languages, back when I first started recruiting, but somehow never got around to it. I would say that treat Welsh as Common (perhaps, technically, all the Gaelic tongues lumped together as one so that Welsh, Irish, Scots, Cornish etc can all communicate, then rather than the standard fantasy languages use Latin, Greek, Saxon etc.

Magic books would probably be written either in Latin or Greek (albeit perhaps an oddly worded and symbolic form like alchemical texts). I think we could keep Celestial, Diabolical and the four elemental tongues, also Elven (I'm pondering a "Faerie" language, which would be spoken by elves and all kinds of fey and mythological beasts, perhaps a good replacement for Aklo particularly given Gwyneira's heritage).

doghead

thotd
Gaelic as Common probably makes the most sense. Then, as you said, add Latin, Greek, Saxon, Norse, to the list of usual suspects.

If you want to keep the idea of a language, useful across the known world, then I think Latin, or some form of pidgin Latin, would be the best fit. Perhaps, if characters take it as a free language, then it would be spoken only. You could call it Trader, or something, to distinguish it from knowledge of formal Latin. Or Pidgin. Or Common even.

An alternative to Latin and Greek as the language used for magic books could be Draconic. This ties into the fairly common fantasy idea of Dragons as the originator of all arcane magic. Divine magic books and scrolls would all be in the language most appropriate to the deity.

I also agree with the idea of combining Elven, Sylvan and Aklo into one fey creature language. Perhaps you could keep the three as dialects of the fey language - Fey (Elven) for example. Speakers of one dialect can understand the others perfectly well, but their language identifies them in a general way.

thotd

Kaodi

Hero
I think you would be better off calling Common "Celtic" rather than Gaelic. Gaelic is not even in the same branch of the Celtic languages as Welsh (or rather, Briton; Briton is Brythonic, Gaelic is Goidelic), so it would be... odd.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases