D&D 5E Things I Miss From Older Playtest Packets

Falling Icicle

Adventurer
While I am pretty pleased overall with the latest packet, there are some things from older packets that I miss and wish they'd bring back.

* Sorcerers and Warlocks: These were such cool classes and while they needed some work, I am disturbed by how they have yet to make a reappearance, even though they've released several other classes since. What happened? Was there some tremendous backlash against these classes in the surveys? Why?

* A lot of spells that were in previous packets have since been removed: Alarm, Grease, Ray of Enfeeblement, Arc Lightning, Ghoul Touch, Vampiric Touch, etc.

* Spells adding the character's magic ability modifier to damage.

* Implements adding bonuses to spell attack, damage and DCs. Wands and staffs no longer do this.

What do you miss from previous packets?

GX.Sigma

Adventurer
I miss the skill system that wasn't locked to specific ability scores.
Me too.

They've gone back and forth on this. If I didn't know anything about D&D, I'd say that might be because whenever they do it one way, people complain that they should switch it to the other way. But I cannot imagine anyone preferring skills keyed to specific ability scores.

Rune

Once A Fool
GX.Sigma said:
But I cannot imagine anyone preferring skills keyed to specific ability scores.

I can. Don't get me wrong--I personally much prefer not having the skills keyed to specific abilities, but some folk seem to feel uncomfortable with that much leeway given to the DM.

Personally, I hope that the DMG has an option for keyed abilities, but that it stays out of the PHB. Although, frankly, I'd rather the PHB not have a set skill list, at all.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I could see certain skills working with multiple attributes, but some I just don't think I could buy into- Charisma-ing my way up a steep cliff boggles my mind, somewhat, as would Strengthily hiding and moving quietly.

I miss the warlock, which I thought was solid albeit needing more pacts.

I miss "skills" being divorced from ability scores.

I miss dwarves being outright immune to poison.

I miss stepping up a die for dwarven hitdice and weaponry.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases