Imagine there was another Earthlike planet in our system

tomBitonti

Adventurer
If we're assuming eventual hostilities, and assuming that radiation has a similar effect on their environment as it does on ours, how feasible would it be to transport largeish amounts of radioactive materials (radioactive waste as the primary source, moving on from there if needed) near their planet, if the goal were simply to seed the atmosphere with radioactive materials? How much radioactive materials would we need to seed an earth type planet with enough radiation to begin killing off or sterilizing the larger lifeforms?

The question is, how much is largish?

Some interesting, and horrifying, information out there about toxicity.

This is a very chilling paper title "Human Plutonium Injection Experiments".

http://www.fas.org/sgp/othergov/doe/lanl/pubs/00326640.pdf

While finding that, I found information about the difference between Radium and Plutonium, and that Botulin Toxin, is the most toxic substance. (I hesitate over pronouncing that a fact, since I haven't followed that subject far enough to find a dependable source.)

I would presume that the toxicity of Bolulin is dependent on the biology of the organism receiving a dose, meaning Botulin would likely not work on the aliens. At the same time, there would probably something else that did.

Then again, finding something that was self-replicating (a virus or bacterium) probably makes the amount less of an issue than finding the right vector for reproduction and transmission.

Thx!

TomB

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Then again, finding something that was self-replicating (a virus or bacterium) probably makes the amount less of an issue than finding the right vector for reproduction and transmission.

That was my thought process for choosing a bioweapon based on a pathogenic organisms as opposed to a toxin or some kind of radiation or metal poisoning.

Or hire customer support call centers based on Mars.

"Hello Human Unit this is Groknar Unit, how may I help you? Please give 14 minutes in your response time to allow for inter-spacial distance and this call might be recorded by the Big Malevolent Brain for quality purposes."

To narrow this conversation down, lets say the Martian races discussed here are biologically similar to humans, and are on order of the creatures from the Barsoom novels. Silverburg wrote a novel along these lines, in the Court of the Crimson Kings I think was the title, but the novel was not grim enough, it too adventurous to be real science fiction.

dark2112

First Post
Don't forget, there have been 2.500+ nuclear tests on earth so far + 2 (and a half) power plant meltdowns with hardly any effect on the global population.

Since 1963, international treaty has banned any nuclear testing above ground. Underground testing contains most, if not all of the radiation, as the main source of radioactive fallout is the loose matter being drawn into the explosion, irradiated, and spewed high into the atmosphere as part of the mushroom cloud, and most of these events were spread out over time, giving humanity a chance to clean up and contain any ill effects. There were 240 estimated cases of thyroid cancer caused by the Windscale fire, which was the result of an isotope that has an 8 day half-life, and was minor enough that I'd be surprised if anyone outside of the UK had even heard of it, despite it being a class 5 disaster. Most of the truly big disasters were relatively harmless due to redundant safety measures, remote location, and quick evacuation from the source of the disaster.

A nuclear weapon, although devastating, can be relatively clean when you consider the radioactive side of it. It depends largely on what fissionable material is used for the core of the bomb, and how the bomb is detonated. An aerial explosion, which is where they detonate the bomb some 1000 feet above ground and let the shockwave pulverize the target below, is the most destructive method if you want to level a city, but it is also one of the least radioactive.

The main faults that I can see with my idea are:
1) Interception of the delivery method - some of that can be mitigated by using a manned delivery system, but certainly not all.
2) How much material would we actually need? Your average nuclear warhead only uses 60 grams of material per kiloton of yield, and depending on the material, the half-life can be very short indeed.

My idea was to attempt to introduce large amounts of radioactive materials with a half-life on the order of years, as opposed to days. Some googling shows me that the UK has about a thousand tonnes of high level nuclear waste sitting around, which accounts for 95% of the radioactivity of all their nuclear waste. Dispersing that into an atmosphere as a powder wouldn't be very healthy, but some preliminary math with estimated figures shows that it would probably have less radioactivity than the chernobyl disaster, which would indicate a need for more material. How much to be effective, I don't know, and that I think is really the real weak spot in the plan. Can we even come up with enough material, and if so could we manage to effectively introduce enough of it? After a bit more research, I'm beginning to suspect not.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases