When North Korean soldiers meet a modern army

Leadership, training, and motivation trump equipment. If anything, the Inmin Gun has motivation in spades. But yes, they'd be outclassed by any modern, professional army.

Derren

Hero
In the age of ranged weapons and tanks being a bigger target isn't quite an advantage like it used to be.
And the usual combat ranges of today are so large that a few centimeters size difference won't be enough to intimidate anyone. They will hardly even notice when they shoot at each other from 100 meters.

Janx

Hero
And indeed, probably can't notice the difference that range.

Well, not only that, both sides have guns that probably function reasonably well.

It's not like the NK are shooting rusty muskets at guys holding M16s.

Once both sides are shooting decent semi-automatic weapons or better, one side's guns being newer/fancier aren't as big a factor.

A modern soldier with body armor getting hit will still probably go down. it's already known that getting hit on the kevlar vest will hurt like heck, and probably take the wind out of you. Not fully the same as killing a guy, but it will disable him for a better chance to shoot him again in an unprotected spot.

the bigger factor is discipline and tactics. If the NK run like little girls at the first sign of trouble, it's a no brainer what the outcome will be. If the NK have good morale and squad tactics you'll do OK.
Which really, if you've been training and thinking as a professional soldier about it, you'd come to the same conclusions the american professional soldiers have.

It will be like it has been in past situations, I suppose. Yeah, initial victories are easy, major cities are conquered quickly, infrastructure is taken. But if there remains a loyal group of soldiers (or normal citizen) that want to fight their so called "liberators", things will get ugly.

A Kevlar vest has a big advantage - it protects a soldier from dying. This is always nice to have, except that a living but injured soldier requires attention or treatment, which is not necessarily a tactical advantage.

Nytmare

David Jose
I think that, after having seen Dennis Rodman, there's very little that a first world soldier would be able to dress up in that would shock a North Korean soldier.

That being said, I wouldn't be surprised if North Koreans hadn't been shown a blooper reel of propaganda footage with American soldiers tripping over their shoelaces and running around like a bunch of Keystone Cops.

"The American soldiers, pressed into service for crimes they committed on their families, can barely lift their mostly broken weapons because they are weak after a long winter of eating nothing but melted snow. They are weighed down by good luck charms given to them by their mothers. They train with these pies because they are afraid. They are like pumpkins falling to the ground."

howandwhy99

Adventurer
I have to agree with [MENTION=5868]Olgar Shiverstone[/MENTION]. Soldiers are people first, equipment only after the fact. A good soldier can succeed even barehanded when facing an untrained and scared opponent with superior equipment. Don't get me wrong. On any stereotypical gaming board it would be rare to have anyone deny the importance of good training in strategy and tactics. But I would be more willing to agree to the difference being about the combat wear worn - At least if you posted the other side as in, say, a Mobile Suit Gundam.

Relique du Madde

Adventurer
If a war were to happen in winter on NK soil it would be as disastrous for most armies as German invasion of Russia was during WWII. When it comes to surviving severe winter conditions with almost no gear, the NK are number one.

-Sent via a cybernetic device.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
If a war were to happen in winter on NK soil it would be as disastrous for most armies as German invasion of Russia was during WWII.

I wouldn't think it would be as bad, for one simple reason: North Korea is all of the size of New England. Russia is, well, the size of Russia. The Russians could retreat basically forever, drawing an enemy into longer and longer supply lines. North Korea does not have that option.

Remove ads