Character Sheet Feedback

Jeff Carlsen

Adventurer
I love the way you have written what abilities can be used for what, right there at the front of the sheet. It's plain awesome. :)

I really do prefer one-page character sheets because two sheets just take too much room at the table. In other words, I think you are wasting space all over the place which makes it a 2-page sheet. Nothing really wrong with it though. ;)

What amazes me the most, looking at your character sheet is that I might want to start writing up my characters by hand, on a character sheet again. I haven't really done that since I played AD&D. Both 3e and 4e has used excel/character builders. I think it's a good indication that 5e is going the right way.

Thank you for the praise. The way skills are handled in this packet was the inspiration for the sheet in the first place. I wanted to design a sheet that helped to teach the game without being an instruction manual.

I also love single page character sheets, but for games like Savage Worlds that can fit in them. One rule I always follow is that a sheet must have enough space to support a twentieth level character. Also, white space matters. If I attempted to fit a twentieth level character on a single page, it would lack detail, be crowded, and the sheet would lack visual cohesion. So, I went with two sheets plus optional extensions.

I'm actually rather proud of this one, both visually and structurally. I'd never previously considered using pages as modules before, and it's given me plenty of ideas. For example, (and I'm borrowing this idea from elsewhere), I could build a sheet for each class for reference and selection of options. Or, when the spell lists are finished, class spell sheets in the same style. Since they're all optional, the core two sheets never have to change. Plus, each player can opt into complexity. But, I'm blathering.

I'm just glad people like it.

Blackbrrd

First Post
I also love single page character sheets, but for games like Savage Worlds that can fit in them. One rule I always follow is that a sheet must have enough space to support a twentieth level character. Also, white space matters. If I attempted to fit a twentieth level character on a single page, it would lack detail, be crowded, and the sheet would lack visual cohesion. So, I went with two sheets plus optional extensions.
I have had one game go up to level 18, two that ended at level 11 and 12, and the rest of my PC's and campaigns have stopped before we reached level 10. In other words, why use a two page character sheet, when a one page character sheet works out really well 90% of the time? Why cater to the 10%? (would have sounded better if it was "cater to the 1%", but it wouldn't be right ;) ).

I do understand where you are coming from though, it's hard to make a one-page character sheet look good, but I think it should be doable with 5e, at least up to level 10.

Jeff Carlsen

Adventurer
I have had one game go up to level 18, two that ended at level 11 and 12, and the rest of my PC's and campaigns have stopped before we reached level 10. In other words, why use a two page character sheet, when a one page character sheet works out really well 90% of the time? Why cater to the 10%? (would have sounded better if it was "cater to the 1%", but it wouldn't be right ;) ).

I do understand where you are coming from though, it's hard to make a one-page character sheet look good, but I think it should be doable with 5e, at least up to level 10.

Perhaps as an experiment in the future.

JamesonCourage

Adventurer
Overall, it looks pretty nice. It mentions the skill die; is that still around? I think it might be gone now. But, if they do drastically change skills, I'm not sure what you're supposed to do about building a character sheet yet, honestly.

GX.Sigma

Adventurer
I love it. My previous feedback still stands, though: it feels awkward to have "D&D Portrait" overlapping the portrait box. You could have "portrait" under the box in tiny letters, and the D&D logo somewhere else on the page.

Jeff Carlsen

Adventurer
An example of your character sheet filled with data by an existing character would be clearer to me.
3.jpg

Is there something unclear? While example content is possible, if it's necessary for you to understand the sheet, then I've failed somewhere.

Overall, it looks pretty nice. It mentions the skill die; is that still around? I think it might be gone now. But, if they do drastically change skills, I'm not sure what you're supposed to do about building a character sheet yet, honestly.

The contest is specifically for the current packet, which as the skill die. The next packet will invalidate parts of this sheet, which is sad.

Remove ads